The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I was fond of my ~composer compressor..

It's in use as a pad on our headphone amps to bring the volume down... it's compression days are over... for the forseable future..
Ha ha......I really liked my composer. It had a signature of its own and it worked problem free for seven years

Their BCF controler is great for the 200 euro asking price. Switch it in to mackie emulation mode and your golden
Old 25th August 2005
Here for the gear

Not so fast... we used a powerplay headphone amp tracking a band I was in, and there was a pretty gnarly bleed between the headphone channels 3 and 4 (enough that whoever was unlucky enough to get stuck in channel 3 got to enjoy the faint but just-annoying-enough click track bleeding through from the drummer's mix on channel 4 ;-)

YGWYPF, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
I guess we have a winner here. Gearslutz seem to like Behringer´s headphone amps ! I knew there had to be something...
Old 25th August 2005
Gear Maniac

i think the ha4700 headphone amp is decent, bit noisy and a bit brittle, but workable.. at least no critical audio passes through it, i think behringer in any recording chain is.. well.. a mistake.
tutt
Old 25th August 2005
Gear Head

there bass cabs and bass heads sound pretty damn good too very clean sounding stuff.
Old 26th August 2005
Here for the gear

Monitor Mixer

I use the UB1204 as a monitor mixer.
It is OK for £100.

I'll admit it's not a Neve suitcase.
But I don't have a spare £xxxx to spend.

My uncle Jim worked for Neve at Kelso and he told me that new employees were often searched on the way out ! You can understand that when you consider the price of one single P&G fader.
Old 26th August 2005
tuf
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
2. The DDX3216 is the best buy at Behringer now. IT's only like $500 for this digital mixer that is better than the Yamaha 01V96 is many ways.
16 lighted encoders, more dedicated I/O means less time playing with the buttons.
Erm, the 3216 is hardly an 01v96, but I love the meters on the DDX. Yamaha should do a role reversal and copy B's metering for the 01v!

Tuf
Old 26th August 2005
tuf
Gear Head

Oh forgot to mention the B gear I dig:

Patchbays - they have nice switches on top and are all metal
Headphone amps - they work...hell you can run like 14 sets of phones off the 99 buck one if you want to!
V-Amps - They work and are super cheap...great for scratch fx while tracking and come with super cool soft cases to impress your friends with
ADA8000 - 8 channel ADAT that sounds good for almost nothing
BCF2000 - MIDI fader box is awesome for the money..works great

I havent tried anything else but it all serves a purpose. Poor musicians everywhere are getting into gear for low bucks. I have to believe that Behringer is simply an easy path for a lot of people to get into music and upgrade. The music companies should thank Behringer for copying them!

Tuf
Old 5th September 2005
Here for the gear

Their entire vacuum cleaner line.
Old 5th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
However, for *metering and RTA* the Behringer DEQ2496 is cheap and I've found it quite useful.
Say, can the VU meter be calibrated? ie. sometimes i need 0VU = -20dBfs and sometimes i need to set it to 0VU = -12dBfs.. is it possible?

If it could work well as a visual "digital" VU meter, I'm interested
Old 28th July 2006
Gear Addict

I just bought the PX3000 patchbay. After reading some bad reports about even this simple device, I tested it reasonably thoroughly and I can't find any problems. If this lasts then I'd say it's the best buy patchbay. I'm buying another one. The worst thing about it is simply having the name Behringer attached to your rack if you're a real gear snob.

Another thing I find to be usable is the reverbs on the Virtualizer. I don't use them on recordings because I've started using convolution reverbs but as long as you the returns low enough to get rid of bad background noise, it's good as a temporary reverb. As for everything else on the Virtualizer, well it's crap. Having said that, my Virtualizer is heading for eBay.
Old 28th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerax
Headphone amps maybe?

L.G.

Nope. My band used their 4 channel headphone amp for in ear monitoring purposes and I found it to be noisy and lacking in headroom (let alone decent sound). An ancient Rane HC6 proved to be way way better and cheaper.

Edwin
Old 28th July 2006
The Behringer stuff I like and use regularly is the FCB1010 foot pedal (used to control a Lexicon Jamman with Sellon upgrade. I needed something that would have complete programmability, since the Jamman with this upgrade has some convoluted MIDI implementation. It now works great!) and the DDX 3216. For my mobile recording rig I use an Alesis HD24XR and needing to only plug in 3 lightpipe cables to monitor my recording makes life very very easy. Plus, I can then use the signal to mix FOH and send monitor mixes to the stage if I need to. Not the greatest sound but for $575 plus the ADAT cards, it can't be beat! Being able store and recall mixes has made life a lot better.

Edwin
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslee
Say, can the VU meter be calibrated? ie. sometimes i need 0VU = -20dBfs and sometimes i need to set it to 0VU = -12dBfs.. is it possible?

If it could work well as a visual "digital" VU meter, I'm interested
a marker can fix that
or a hammer flung from 5 feet back.

VUs are useless any ways...
but look cool with a mullet...
Old 28th July 2006
another vote for the SNR2000. works really well
for audio post mixing (for noisy dialog). 'course,
they discontinued making this...typical.

marty.
Old 30th July 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola
I didn't read all the posts, but..

behringer started in the late 80's, early 90's with highquality progear. They produced greatsounding compressors and stuff.

you will know em just by the look. They are usually totally black (incl. frontgrill) and with red letters.

these compressors were quasi UREI rippoffs and priced with 3000$++. they are usually on ebay and great

cheers
In Sweden, I've seen the black ones (kinda drawmer looking) sell for about $50 used. Maybe I should go pick it up?
Old 2nd August 2006
Here for the gear

Thier Truth monitors are better than decent and the FCB1010 midi pedal is aight too!

The rest is all garbage...
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear
I'm selling my ddx 3216. in-studio use only, and plenty thereof, but it's time to "upgrade"/crossgrade into an in-the-box solution. this mixer out-values just about everything out there in its segment, and offers more inputs than the rackmount yamaha's. the SHARC processors provide better-than-expected and quite usable dynamics and eq's on every channel, plus 4 decent, useable multieffects built-in. I've got the ADAT i/o card installed (adds 16 more i/o on lightpipe - perfect for interfacing with a computer audio card like the RME 9652 (also for sale, incidentally) and will entertain any reasonable offer.

let me know (pm) if interested. best,

vic s.
Old 2nd August 2006
Gear Head

I'd be the first to knock Behringer as they rip off other peoples designs. But I have a PX2000 patchbay that does a great job at the price, and I think the only other bit of decent gear that Behringer ever made was the V-Verb Pro.

The presets suck but when you program it...it's a pretty good reverb for the money. 96k sample rate, dual engine...nothing like the other fx unit they make. I bought one for £80 just to try it out, and I'm actually going to keep it as it sounds great.

The Behringer phaser pedals that rip off Boss sound like crap though. And their mixing desks are even worse than Mackie's.
Old 3rd August 2006
Gear Addict

Heh... Behringer...

If you want to mangle stuff their cheap FX units are very good at the job. Their cheap multi FX verbs create great Metallic Robovox style FX when cranked. Their tiny UB boards are generally reliable and do brittle telephone vox tones to perfection because they offer a similar level of technology. I gave away a UB802 to a friend but borrow it back for just this purpose.

Having said that, in the pile of pants - having to pay people to fix and rebuild stuff until I gave in and took the profit on eBay list, there are... the Magician, the MX3282 and the Virtualiser 'Pro' (stitute my values said Uli I'm in it for the 'Pro' fit) despite it's crappy chique factor. Please don't talk to me about their big board power supplies, I'm still in therapy and suffer daymares when my whole world is suffused by cheap PC style fan hiss and followed by cash-snorting, irretrievable breakdowns.

Reg
Old 3rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
My band used their 4 channel headphone amp for in ear monitoring purposes and I found it to be noisy and lacking in headroom (let alone decent sound). An ancient Rane HC6 proved to be way way better and cheaper.
Agreed, I've been using a Rane HC6 for years and one day I borrowed my friends Berhinger headphone amp to check it out and right away I noticed it didn't have near the headroom as the Rane.
Old 20th August 2006
Lives for gear

dfegad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
A lot of manufacturers produce even more nice sounding, good looking and reasonable priced gear with a right to live. Maybe they have one unit that does not live up to the expectations, but in general these manufacturers do a good job.

Now, complete different story with Behringer. They offer a lot of bad sounding, cheap looking and not reasonable priced gear (noone pays for dog****, right ?!). But does Behringer also offer one or even two units that do not live up to the expectation since they actually do sound good ? Hmmm, nothing comes to my mind...

Can you guys think of anything ?

Bill
The ONLY behringer units I recomend are the Intelligates which are no longer made (I found 3 units for 130$ used) and they are truly great! Other than that everything else pretty much sucks!dfegad
Old 30th August 2006
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
2. The DDX3216 is the best buy at Behringer now. IT's only like $500 for this digital mixer that is better than the Yamaha 01V96 is many ways.
After 3.5 years I'm stil happy with my 3216.

A.
Old 30th August 2006
Gear Head

The B2 mic... bloody cheap... and not bad...
Old 31st August 2006
Here for the gear

Behringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
A lot of manufacturers produce even more nice sounding, good looking and reasonable priced gear with a right to live. Maybe they have one unit that does not live up to the expectations, but in general these manufacturers do a good job.

Now, complete different story with Behringer. They offer a lot of bad sounding, cheap looking and not reasonable priced gear (noone pays for dog****, right ?!). But does Behringer also offer one or even two units that do not live up to the expectation since they actually do sound good ? Hmmm, nothing comes to my mind...

Can you guys think of anything ?

Bill
The Vintage Series Tube Ultragain 1953 is an excellent pre-amp. If you change the Sovtek tubes to JJ's, Ei's or Silver Dragon 12AX7B's it sounds incredible. I have one and use it frequently.
Old 31st August 2006
Lives for gear

Behringer Patchbays are okay, only snag is the switches for normalizing etc.. can sometimes be triggerd in error when something is fitted above the patchbay on the rack.

Also a friend of mine invested in a 24 channel Behringer mixer and it still sounds better when audio tracks are going through it compared with strictly ITB. Having said that the audio tracks are still EQ'd ITB and he doesnt use the mic pre's on the desk what so ever.

For the most part though they dont make quality gear, they make cheap gear!
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjikan View Post
The Vintage Series Tube Ultragain 1953 is an excellent pre-amp. If you change the Sovtek tubes to JJ's, Ei's or Silver Dragon 12AX7B's it sounds incredible. I have one and use it frequently.
wait, isn't that the one where the tubes are just for show and don't do actually anything?

-d. gauss
Old 2nd September 2006
Here for the gear

The DI-100 is a pretty nice DI I think.
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
wait, isn't that the one where the tubes are just for show and don't do actually anything?

-d. gauss

Behringer has no real tube pre. period! None of the cheap tube pres have a tube doing anything in them...except for Bellari, The Brick, and Electro-Harmonics. All the cheap Chinese 12ax??? tubes have lights behind them, to make them glow!! Nice gimmick, and sad to make people think the tube makes a difference. If your tube pre has a spec of 20-30 volts, its a "moo-moo".

The cable tester from Behringer rocks! We use it all the time!
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
The cable tester from Behringer rocks! We use it all the time!
its the best thing they make, ok its a rip off of the Swiss Army cable tester. with the recent price drop on them how can you not have one, i never do a job without it on hand.

people dont even try to say they make good mics or pres. and switchable patchbays whats going on there is just more to wear out and go wrong.
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Head

I would vote for the ECM8000 and the ADA8000. The ECM8000 is a great and cheap measurement mic do do quick down and dirty room tuning using SMART. I've used the ADA8000 quite a few times when I've needed more I/O, and I've been quite happy with it when it is clocked to something other than it's internal clock. Even the mic pre's were at least usable. Not great, but usable.

Cheers,
Zach

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search