The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepin View Post
Only problem is the Power plug of the mixer box - somewhat loose.
Yeah, as a fan of those small Xenyx's, that's one of my few complaints as well, but I'd guess their options were sort of limited to get a bipolar supply into the thing on the cheap. I also learned that the hole doesn't easily fit some (soldered) mini DIN plugs. If you lose your supply, you might as well grab a used 502 locally.

Still cool little mixers though.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Nut

We installed a x32 surface in a HOW and an x32 rack in a city chambers, impressed with both of these units.
Old 7th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampsarus View Post
We installed a x32 surface in a HOW and an x32 rack in a city chambers, impressed with both of these units.
Did a couple of gigs on the x32 mixer and in fact it's quite good. Let's wait a couple of years to see if the lasts...then we can actually say its good.

One other piece of Behringer that does not suck is their newer DI-600s passive boxes. They're quite decent to be honest.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Nut

Yeah time will tell.
I have and still use an HA4000 headphone amp that I bought 6 years ago with one of the 4 outputs fried and today only 2 of the outputs are fried, I still have two left. lol
This old unit has a 'solid' aluminum face and a linear ps. Not the best amp in the world but for what it cost, $35 shipped it is unsellable. 2 chs & $17.50 ea
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Nut

Re ultraflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Two pieces from Behringer spent the last years in my rather wet basement. An Autocom Pro MDX 1400 and an Ultrafex Pro EX 3200.
Today I re-explored them. The only thing I have to say about the Autocom is that it will went back to the basement tomorrow. But I really like the Ultrafex.
Not even so much the Exciter, but I love the bass enhancement (esp. in the tight setting and without activating the ultralow switch). The other feature that is really usable and can have a wonderfull effect is the surround feature. I had 3 different mixers from Behringer in the past. I don't use them anymore, but none of them ever failed me.
At least even the Autocom and the Ultrafex survived 5 years in a wet and unheated basement and still work. Maybe the autocom should have commited suicide. But the Ultrafex: I'm amazed.
Dirk
post some files? redirect if necessary
Old 17th July 2014
Here for the gear

Some useable Stuff

Dont Know if it was mentioned, didnt have time to read all 34 pages of the thread, but the V-Verb Pro Rev2496 is quite a good piece of equipment. Cheply built, but sounded amazing for the price.

I used a little 12ch xenyx board (borrowed) to do a gig the other day and I was actually impressed. I've used a Mackie ONYX mostly and the B didnt sound much different (live, that is). The difference is more noticeable in the recording (I used my apoggee out of the inserts for that).

Oh, and their measurement mic, cant remember the model now, its a clone of all the other ones out there. I saw a thread somewhere that compared several - including earthworks etc. B was right up there with the rest as far as the frequency response curve. I have one - use it for omni micing and no complaints.
Old 17th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delle69 View Post
I bought the behringer ha4700 powerplay pro-xl two years ago, it works well but it has some little noise (hum) even if there is no input signal, can you please post some photos or a youtube video to explain how to adjust/move/rotate the toroidal transformer?

Second question: I've two V-Verb REV2496 units, the first one works very well, the second one works for a while then the display went crazy (all leds become illuminated, the unit hangs and the graphic display starts to "corrupt". I suspect that this happens only when the unit starts to heat (some voltage regulator needs some cooling.. Am I right ? can you suggest the "cure" or the fix ? (I've already removed the glue that keeps the connectors plugged in, I've read this "patch" on Internet)

Third: Can you/we open a thread "How to fix and/or improve Behringer units" or "Behringer mods corner". Behringer units are very good, sometimes we need only some little hints from Behringer itself... I can accept some minor glitch if I can fix it ;-) For example on the first V-Verb unit there was some little noise (hiss), I've removed the glue from the connectors (read here) and the noise disappeared, now is deadly silent.

Greetings from Italy

A. Delle
Old post, but the power connector inside the unit goes bonkers if there are any power surges/bad shutdowns/grounding problems. Open it up and clean/verify the cable connections inside. Maybe someone else knows a more specific approach, but that's what I did to mine...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
It's been said but i swear by the cable tester. Any system retune jobs i go on i basically rip out every cable and test. Usually ends up with a big faulty pile.
So many here praising the cable tester and felt left out so a bought 1 off amazon £19.99….haven't used it yet but seems quite well built for the money and say's professional on it so i'm good yes!!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Ha, spoke too soon…. when i select test tone when checking a cable i get no tone, or should i only get a tone if its a faulty cable , does anyone know if this is the case as it came with no instructions
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Ha, spoke too soon…. when i select test tone when checking a cable i get no tone, or should i only get a tone if its a faulty cable , does anyone know if this is the case as it came with no instructions
I'n not familiar with the Behringer cable tester, but it's normal for all cable testers to bleep when the cable is in order and be silent when it's faulty. This is because a working cable will conduct the power, completing the circuit and causing the bleeper to sound.
Old 29th July 2014
Here for the gear

The XENYX 1204FX is a decent little mixer. Never had any issues with it!
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianpb View Post
I'n not familiar with the Behringer cable tester, but it's normal for all cable testers to bleep when the cable is in order and be silent when it's faulty. This is because a working cable will conduct the power, completing the circuit and causing the bleeper to sound.
Ive been working in electronics for over 25 years mostly as a service engineer and i have the cable tester and think its really great especially since it has a funktion that can find intermittent connection and if there is one it permanently indicates it until you use the reset button.

When it comes to the test tone function i think you have got the wrong idea about the function. Its actually a test tone generator and not something that goes beep when you have connection. You can hear it if you connect a cable from one of the outputs on the cable tester and connect it to some kind of monitoring equipment like perhaps your recording interface connected to your computer, it can also probably serve as a simple test tone generator if you wish to repair an amp and measure with an oscilloscope, personally i have an old computer and an advanced freeware program for that.

I do think that the manual is lacking in explaining what to use the function for, so its quite understandable that it may be misinterpreted and i have been making quite a bit of work on instruction manuals myself.

Here´s a link to the manual: http://www.behringer.com/assets/CT100_P0133_M_EN.pdf
Old 31st July 2014
For my 2c the X32 unequivocally - does not suck.
The bang for buck is obvious to blind Freddy but if you doubled the price the sound and features would still be value. A game changer.

And going back many years the ultragain pro was exceptional value and very underrated IMO. No it's not a high end preamp but it is a good neutral preamp (2 of em in fact) that punches well above it's very low price tag.
In combo with DIs and even just a back up pair they are very good.

And.. Back in the day I used to use a Combinator in mobile radio OB music broadcast.
Fantastic bit of kit. Only made for a few years and as I understand it a bit of a pet project for Uli that he threw the works at. I'd believe it. I used it across jazz, Rock and Orchestral and it was a charmer. Probably wouldn't stand up to processors today but was a simple but very powerfull bit of kit in it's day.
Old 31st July 2014
For my 2c the X32 unequivocally - does not suck.
The bang for buck is obvious to blind Freddy but if you doubled the price the sound and features would still be value. A game changer.

And going back many years the ultragain pro was exceptional value and very underrated IMO. No it's not a high end preamp but it is a good neutral preamp (2 of em in fact) that punches well above it's very low price tag.
In combo with DIs and even just a back up pair they are very good.

And.. Back in the day I used to use a Combinator in mobile radio OB music broadcast.
Fantastic bit of kit. Only made for a few years and as I understand it a bit of a pet project for Uli that he threw the works at. I'd believe it. I used it across jazz, Rock and Orchestral and it was a charmer. Probably wouldn't stand up to processors today but was a simple but very powerful bit of kit in it's day.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonknight View Post
Ive been working in electronics for over 25 years mostly as a service engineer and i have the cable tester and think its really great especially since it has a funktion that can find intermittent connection and if there is one it permanently indicates it until you use the reset button.

When it comes to the test tone function i think you have got the wrong idea about the function. Its actually a test tone generator and not something that goes beep when you have connection. You can hear it if you connect a cable from one of the outputs on the cable tester and connect it to some kind of monitoring equipment like perhaps your recording interface connected to your computer, it can also probably serve as a simple test tone generator if you wish to repair an amp and measure with an oscilloscope, personally i have an old computer and an advanced freeware program for that.

I do think that the manual is lacking in explaining what to use the function for, so its quite understandable that it may be misinterpreted and i have been making quite a bit of work on instruction manuals myself.

Here´s a link to the manual: http://www.behringer.com/assets/CT100_P0133_M_EN.pdf

Thanks for clearing that up, and for the link….
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up, and for the link….
No problemo as Arnold Schwarzenegger would have said
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Maniac

I have the Behringer B-1 condenser microphone. When it was working it was good, but then, soon after the warranty had expired, the capsule started to create a banging noise during pronounced aspirated plosives; even blowing onto the mic caused the same problem. I tried to get in touch with Behringer about supplying a new capsule that I could fit myself, but they are impossible to contact. I eventually found a British agent of Behringer who informed me that no such spare components are held. Pathetic! I ended up having to buy a Fame microphone to replace the B-1, which now sits unused in a drawer until I can find a replacement capsule that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The fact that Behringer make themselves so difficult to contact directly is a good reason to beware of buying any of their expensive products.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Maniac

Dear Ianpb,
Sorry to hear that you had trouble contacting us. We have our own CARE facility in the UK that handles Warranty, Parts, and Service. You can reach us at +44 1562 732290 or at [email protected]. I am also always available directly via PM here as well. Hope it helps!

Best,
John DiNicola
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiNicola View Post
Dear Ianpb,
Sorry to hear that you had trouble contacting us. We have our own CARE facility in the UK that handles Warranty, Parts, and Service. You can reach us at +44 1562 732290 or at [email protected]. I am also always available directly via PM here as well. Hope it helps!

Best,
John DiNicola
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Thanks for the prompt reply John.

Unfortunately, no such clear contact information is available on the Behringer website, and it was somewhat confusing. That was the email address that I contacted, and I was advised that "Unfortunately after checking with the Spare Parts Department I can now confirm that this is not a spare part we would be able to supply you."

I was advised to contact Music Group Research UK Ltd. in Kidderminster. Their response (by telephone) was that they would have to do the repair themselves, but due to labour costs involved it would cost more than a new one anyway. Consequently, I didn't take the matter any further and bought something else.

All I wanted was a replacement capsule so that I could fit it myself.
Old 1st August 2014
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiNicola View Post
Dear Ianpb,

Best,
John DiNicola
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Taht is something new…..
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the Behringer B-1 condenser microphone. When it was working it was good, but then, soon after the warranty had expired, the capsule started to create a banging noise during pronounced aspirated plosives; even blowing onto the mic caused the same problem. I tried to get in touch with Behringer about supplying a new capsule that I could fit myself, but they are impossible to contact. I eventually found a British agent of Behringer who informed me that no such spare components are held. Pathetic! I ended up having to buy a Fame microphone to replace the B-1, which now sits unused in a drawer until I can find a replacement capsule that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The fact that Behringer make themselves so difficult to contact directly is a good reason to beware of buying any of their expensive products.

Er... EXPENSIVE products?? Behringer???

Maybe it's a typo.

On a sidenote, I don't think swapping a microphone capsule is something anybody could just do in their living room, just like that - it's a job for a service lab, unless of course it's a microphone designed to have user interchangeable capsules, with head assembly, basket, connectors and all.
Well, at least I'd never go and attempt doing that, and I've been in audio professionally for almost 30 years.

And, on a sub-100 USD/EUR (!!!) large diaphragm condenser mic it would be quite logical to me that if the capsule fails it's best to just get a new mic.

On another sidenote, I find that put into the perspective of their price and cost, most Behringher units outperform many, many high priced top shelf & boutique pieces of gear - read carefully, I am obviously NOT talking about the sound, but merely in terms of how long they last, how often or rarely they break down or need to be serviced, calibrated, etc.
Think of your home electronics or kitchen appliances and make a comparison, price vs. durability & reliability.

Just sayin', as this thread is generically about "does not suck", which is not necessarily exclusively sound quality related.

A
F
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply John.

All I wanted was a replacement capsule so that I could fit it myself.
Agreed....if behringer had allowed access to some of their harder to obtain
Parts then some of my dead DDX3216 PIC CHIPS (the copy protected ones)
Would be up and running today in another upgraded DDX !
I hate sending good electronics to landfill !

BTW any ""good"" capsule of the same diameter will fit their mics,
Also preventing landfill
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2udio View Post
Agreed....if behringer had allowed access to some of their harder to obtain
Parts then some of my dead DDX3216 PIC CHIPS (the copy protected ones)
Would be up and running today in another upgraded DDX !
I hate sending good electronics to landfill !

Also preventing landfill
I agree, since ive been working with repairing electronics for a very long time, i also would like to repair things that break and i very often do.

However in my experience Behringer are unfortunately not alone in not making parts and documentation availible, i would say that it is very common.
For example when i worked with repairing mobile phones in the 90´s we as an authorized shop of two of the biggest brands of the time were not allowed to sell any parts for one of those brands, the manufacturer insisted that all parts should be replaced only by authorized personell, not complying with this would have risked our authorization and in the end the whole company.
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaeffe View Post

On a sidenote, I don't think swapping a microphone capsule is something anybody could just do in their living room, just like that - it's a job for a service lab, unless of course it's a microphone designed to have user interchangeable capsules, with head assembly, basket, connectors and all.
I've already opened up the B-1 mic to check and it's a straightforward job; at least, it is for me. However, even with Behringer's awkwardness on supplying such spare parts, they never succeeded in achieving a new replacement sale from me because, feeling aggrieved by their attitude, I replaced it with a product made by someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2udio View Post
The trouble is that most available LDC capsules are 32mm - cradle not included and costing more than a new microphone - whereas the Behringer B-1 has a 25mm capsule. After scouring the internet I could only find them being sold in bulk directly from China - and that was from a website where I managed to use Google translation.
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
The trouble is that most available LDC capsules are 32mm - cradle not included and costing more than a new microphone.
Well i would say that this indicates that it isnt economically viable to repair the B1 mic since the mic itself is so cheap. Even if you were able to get the capsule from Behringer it surely wouldnt be less expensive than anything you could order from China on ebay, but probably quite the oppsite.
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Maniac

What's the consensus on their monitors? I occasionally read about quality issues. They seem reasonably priced though.
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 View Post
What's the consensus on their monitors? I occasionally read about quality issues. They seem reasonably priced though.
I believe that most that dont have negative bias against Behringer think they are great value, at least the Truth monitors, i have the Truth B3030A monitors which seems to be very well regarded from the reviews as well as other mentions on forums like this. Im very happy with them and there is nothing in the appearance/finish that would make me think they would be less expensive than anything out there, its spot on.
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonknight View Post
I believe that most that dont have negative bias against Behringer think they are great value, at least the Truth monitors, i have the Truth B3030A monitors which seems to be very well regarded from the reviews as well as other mentions on forums like this. Im very happy with them and there is nothing in the appearance/finish that would make me think they would be less expensive than anything out there, its spot on.
I'll look more into those Truth's, I've heard some good things about them.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanagilaboy View Post
Dont Know if it was mentioned, didnt have time to read all 34 pages of the thread, but the V-Verb Pro Rev2496 is quite a good piece of equipment. Cheply built, but sounded amazing for the price.

I used a little 12ch xenyx board (borrowed) to do a gig the other day and I was actually impressed. I've used a Mackie ONYX mostly and the B didnt sound much different (live, that is). The difference is more noticeable in the recording (I used my apoggee out of the inserts for that).

Oh, and their measurement mic, cant remember the model now, its a clone of all the other ones out there. I saw a thread somewhere that compared several - including earthworks etc. B was right up there with the rest as far as the frequency response curve. I have one - use it for omni micing and no complaints.
That's the ECM8000.

I have a pair of those and have used them for room measurement as well as drum overheads.
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I'll tell you what really sucks from Behringer - the cradle that comes with the B-1 condenser microphone. It constantly falls apart before the crappy thin elastic fatigues and becomes unusable. I've had to replace that elastic with a configuration of hair band loops, but it's still too easily prone to falling apart due to the badly designed metal frame.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search