The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 21st September 2013
Here for the gear

Mostly what I've read about their gear for issues with reliability with the amplifier sections of their powered mixers. I would think that it's a problem with one of the components in the amplifier. It's probably a cheap transistor, capacitor or resistor. It seems to me that a good electronics technician could replace the failed component with one of higher quality such as one that is military spec.

Does anyone know when a Behringer amplifier fails what component or components within the amp are the usual culprits?

Is it a problem with the design or is it quality control? I'm guessing that it's quality control more than design? What are your thoughts?
Old 21st September 2013
Here for the gear

Mostly what I've read about their gear for issues with reliability with the amplifier sections of their powered mixers. I would think that it's a problem with one of the components in the amplifier. It's probably a cheap transistor, capacitor or resistor. It seems to me that a good electronics technician could replace the failed component with one of higher quality such as one that is military spec.

Does anyone know when a Behringer amplifier fails what component or components within the amp are the usual culprits?

Is it a problem with the design or is it quality control? I'm guessing that it's quality control more than design? What are your thoughts?
Old 22nd September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sanborn View Post
Dear guys,

In an earlier post, we noticed that someone mentioned an issue related to a headphone amp where they experienced increased noise on the right most channel. This can easily be resolved by rotating the internal toroidal transformer and adjusting for minimal noise. We corrected the issue approximately a year ago by adding additional shielding and as such, the issue is completely resolved.
[...]
Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
I bought the behringer ha4700 powerplay pro-xl two years ago, it works well but it has some little noise (hum) even if there is no input signal, can you please post some photos or a youtube video to explain how to adjust/move/rotate the toroidal transformer?

Second question: I've two V-Verb REV2496 units, the first one works very well, the second one works for a while then the display went crazy (all leds become illuminated, the unit hangs and the graphic display starts to "corrupt". I suspect that this happens only when the unit starts to heat (some voltage regulator needs some cooling.. Am I right ? can you suggest the "cure" or the fix ? (I've already removed the glue that keeps the connectors plugged in, I've read this "patch" on Internet)

Third: Can you/we open a thread "How to fix and/or improve Behringer units" or "Behringer mods corner". Behringer units are very good, sometimes we need only some little hints from Behringer itself... I can accept some minor glitch if I can fix it ;-) For example on the first V-Verb unit there was some little noise (hiss), I've removed the glue from the connectors (read here) and the noise disappeared, now is deadly silent.

Greetings from Italy

A. Delle
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Dear guys,

In an earlier post, we noticed that someone mentioned an issue related to a headphone amp where they experienced increased noise on the right most channel. This can easily be resolved by rotating the internal toroidal transformer and adjusting for minimal noise. We corrected the issue approximately a year ago by adding additional shielding and as such, the issue is completely resolved.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Could be the same problem with the mixer / splitter 882?

I had a second hand and old unit that had a terrible and very audible hum. I thought the problem was unique to this unit (dirty, scratchs and some knobs lost) I did not lose more than a few euros but I liked the 882 aproach.

Then bought a new one to retire the old and oh! surprise
exactly the same hum problem with the new unit.

Both units, to me were useless, and left to interest these units by this problem.
Old 23rd September 2013
Headphone amps are definately worth the money, they make nice rackmount 4 and 8 channel models. Wouldnt trust anything from them on any critical part of the recording chain. Since i dont use a mixer and go right into the interface, id be interested to see what their external controllers are like for automation and such. Esp since there wont be any audio passing through it if i just use it for writing automation. I hate using the mouse for that.
Old 23rd September 2013
Headphone amps are definately worth the money, they make nice rackmount 4 and 8 channel models. Wouldnt trust anything from them on any critical part of the recording chain. Since i dont use a mixer and go right into the interface, id be interested to see what their external controllers are like for automation and such. Esp since there wont be any audio passing through it if i just use it for writing automation. I hate using the mouse for that.p
Old 27th September 2013
Here for the gear

behringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFSound View Post
So true. They're EQ's suck. I hate to say we use one in our practice rig (was bought before i came around and started upgrading gear) And i tell you exactly as you described is what happens when trying to get any volume in a mix using those things. Luckily we only have 1 of them and its about to be de-commissioned
Maybe the problem is your cheap monitor
Old 27th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldozer View Post

Well ive never had one fail.
Frankly they work and sound fine to me.
Had a sound engineer open up my behringer mixer recently after i dropped it. He reckonned its just as good as anything more expensive on the inside.
Dont be fooled by the price
Old 27th September 2013
Here for the gear

behringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFSound View Post
So true. They're EQ's suck. I hate to say we use one in our practice rig (was bought before i came around and started upgrading gear) And i tell you exactly as you described is what happens when trying to get any volume in a mix using those things. Luckily we only have 1 of them and its about to be de-commissioned
Maybe the problem is your cheap monitor
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear

Crappy gear can sound good in the hands of a good engineer.
I have heard the pre's of a SSL6000E go awful, and a totally raped Behrenger Eurodesk sound quite good.
It is all in the hands of the meister.
Do not judge the gear, but judge your ability to make it sound good. (as long as it lives)
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear

To be honest.
I once had a Miktek analog console for live application, because i had totally no cash for even a decent console.
It sounded awful, the pre amps could not handle any input without screaming out all the mids between 1000 and 3000.
All i did was buying a pair of those cheap ART Tube pre's. (wonder what that tube really does, for i am not a technician)
But then i could quite get the warmth of a Soundcraft M3!
And that for not even 200 bucks!
Only ****ty was that i still only had 2 auxes for MON's, and no groups, so now i have the Soundcraft!
That was what i meant with my previous post.
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

What about that really old Behringer 3282 or what ever it was from like 12 years ago ? lol
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear
I've brought a fair bit of Behringer gear and learned the hard way.

For the price its good budget gear but its made out of a potato. You look at it the wrong way and it breaks... But its the price you pay for cheap kit I guess!

Surprisingly their NS pedal when run through the amp send/return and the guitar loop is fantastic! I steer clear of it though now!
Old 27th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by painejake View Post
I've brought a fair bit of Behringer gear and learned the hard way.

For the price its good budget gear but its made out of a potato. You look at it the wrong way and it breaks... But its the price you pay for cheap kit I guess!

Surprisingly their NS pedal when run through the amp send/return and the guitar loop is fantastic! I steer clear of it though now!
What did you own that broke due to prolonged staring? I'm curious, as I have a few Behry pieces that have served me well for a number of years.
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

What Behringer gear does not suck?

Well its not the new ADA8200.
Im shipping mine back.I tried them again because bla,bla,bla,Midas..bla,bla,bla Cirus..bla,bla,bla,new power supply but its noisy/dirty at hign volumes and the phantom power scares the hell out me.There's more but i'll stop there.Yes,i did troubleshoot adat cables/BNC/Adat sync/gain stucture,ect.It could be defective but it seem to operate fine.This is compared to a UFX and MR816csx.Im not a hater,i wanted to believe.Great price though.
Old 28th November 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
What did you own that broke due to prolonged staring? I'm curious, as I have a few Behry pieces that have served me well for a number of years.
A few of the guitar pedals are a bit too cheaply made for my liking and the plastic clip that keeps the 9v battery in snapped. It's just the build quality I personally don't like!
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Nut

Dear Cavern,

With regard to your experience, can you elaborate on your exact ADA8200 setup? How is your word clock set on the ADA8200? Perhaps it is something else in your rig? If you send more info, we can help you figure this out.

I have gotten excellent results and hear the same from many happy ADA8200 users. The ADA8200 mic preamps and AD/DA converters stand up against units costing 2-3 times the price. The ADA8200 is an excellent front-end solution when used with our new FCA1616 giving you 12 channels of mic preamps via Firewrie and USB to any DAW.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear Cavern,

With regard to your experience, can you elaborate on your exact ADA8200 setup? How is your word clock set on the ADA8200? Perhaps it is something else in your rig? If you send more info, we can help you figure this out.

I have gotten excellent results and hear the same from many happy ADA8200 users. The ADA8200 mic preamps and AD/DA converters stand up against units costing 2-3 times the price. The ADA8200 is an excellent front-end solution when used with our new FCA1616 giving you 12 channels of mic preamps via Firewrie and USB to any DAW.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
No,nothing in my rig,like i said,maybe this one is defective.
Its hooked up to an MR 816(also tried the same procedures on my UFX wich is for an other purpose).
Made sure to try different adat cables but i did that to illiminate that possibility,i never thought they were an issue.I clocked via Adat and BNC with the same results.I understand and am a stickler at gain staging.
I use properly made mogamy cables(TRS and XLR).My other equipment is very quiet,including the mains for rehersal.Running nuendo,although i think that's irrelavant.The BNC from the MR816 work well with everything else i clock to it.

OK the problems:

It's noisy/dirty when i turn the monitoring volume up,if i go anywhere near 0dbfs,even when its just powered on without any cables plugged in.

I sometimes get a swooshing sound(slightly) from ch.7 once in a while.

The phantom power is unstable compared to my other two interfaces(popping and sending all the 8200 related channels into a blast clip if you turn it on/off(i try not to do that).

Thr pres are not on par with my other(MR816/UFX) pre's.I didn't expect them to be but i expected moore.

I don't know,you tell me.What's the problem.
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Head

ECM 8000 and the Behringer PX patchbay are decent enough for what they do...
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
Being a Gearslut, I have checked ebay throughout the day, each day, religiously for about the last year and a bit. Most of my studio comes from there. On the UK site, I have only seen one and it was way over priced. Maybe there are tons in the U.S, but over here, they are rare on the second hand market.

Sent from my HTC Desire
You don't have to keep polling eBay. Just do your search, and save it to the saved searches. There's even an option to turn on notification when new items show up that meet your search criteria. Then eBay will email you when one becomes available. That's how I find the Samson C-com 16 compressors for $29 to $59 that I use (on manual mode) in some of my video kits.
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Nut

On topic: I like the BOD400 Bass Overdrive pedal. Yeah, it's plastic, and the battery compartment is difficult ( I don't use batteries), but it sounds pretty good, has a cool wet/dry mix knob, doesn't add noise and is under 30 bucks!
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

the 2 ch multicomp (after modding )
the tube composer (after modding)
the tube parametric (after modding)
ADA8000 (after modding)

haven't got my hands on a ada8200 yet. but when I do, I'll come out with a mod for that
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Head

What doesn't suck: Behringer X2222usb. Been using it a year, works like a champ so far. May change my mind later if it dies suddenly on me, but so far so good. (I have a backup)
What does suck: The 1-knob compressors on it. Audible distortion in [speaking] voices with the knobs around 40% on the dial. Maybe they are good for music, but I keep them completely off.

What does suck: The UFO-202's headphone amp section. Not enough drive for decent phones. I went with the Shure X2 instead, and it solves every issue I've ever had on any USB audio input device.
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Head

iv used the Sennheiser HD-25-1headphones the leakage isnt that bad
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchillin28 View Post
iv used the Sennheiser HD-25-1headphones the leakage isnt that bad
Behringer makes the Sennheiser HD-25 heaphones now?
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldozer View Post
I'm not an electrical engineer but Behringer is a German company with plant's in China. The cost of low-wage labor is the main reason there products are so low priced. Before the Chinese government allowed other country's to build there own plants and bring in there own teams for design and production what came out of China was not good at all. Now that China lets other nations make the rules in there factories things have changed and there production has improved a lot. Theres still a world of difference between some of there stuff and some of the better stuff around but it has changed for the better over all.
Old 1st December 2013
Lives for gear
Their ..
Old 1st December 2013
I've owned a keyboard amp 450FX. Loud enough for the price/size but sound wise very colored and totally inapropriate for piano and such.

I've owned a few small Xenyx mixers. They cost nothing and have been great for a few mics and keyboards.
Old 8th February 2014
Gear Maniac

The Behringer B-1 is a very good microphone. It is airy, and also manages to capture lower vocal harmonics. It can be a little harsh but that's easily tames with EQ, or better still, a low-pass filter. The problem is that if the capsule fails, Behringer don't supply replacements. A third party replacement can cost as much as a new mic! However, they sound lively and clear with a good preamp - but not a Xenyx.
Old 8th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianpb View Post
The Behringer B-1 is a very good microphone. It is airy, and also manages to capture lower vocal harmonics. It can be a little harsh but that's easily tames with EQ, or better still, a low-pass filter. The problem is that if the capsule fails, Behringer don't supply replacements. A third party replacement can cost as much as a new mic! However, they sound lively and clear with a good preamp - but not a Xenyx.
do you have any samples? I find that extremely hard to believe but not saying its not true. i just cant picture their mic being usable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search