The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 5th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Behringer ADA8000 ADAT converter at $189 is cheaper than you can buy an enclosure/power supply/connectors. Amazing is that it actually is "okay" by itself, and with analog mod's (for line-in only) can be B+ grade for D+ money. Clock is not so great, but with external clock on BNC connnector, okay.

Karl
got a link for these mods?
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I believe they make some nice rack screws
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

guitarists on speed, beware my behringer!!!!!

WELL!!!! I beg to differ..... some"producer"once brought in a behringer di. we never actually used it, but it stayed here and has served itself in comic value on many occasions, also... it is a very handy thing to throw at stupid guitarists on speed.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

It's not worth it. There is no easy mod on the A/D side anyway.
Just use the line in's, no the pre's, unless you don't have any better ones.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmad69
It's not worth it. There is no easy mod on the A/D side anyway.
Just use the line in's, no the pre's, unless you don't have any better ones.
i believe your refering to the ADA8000. you cant escape the pre, the line in goes through a pad and then the pre which sucks
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang
Used the Behringer B-2 pro mic on this song:
http://www.blacklinerock.com/ARMAGED...NEROCK.COM.mp3
Well, seeing as how it's the B-2 PRO, it's ok. Just don't go slippin' the B-2 Amateur in anywhere.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

The ADA8000 gets my vote. I like it, and the pres are fine- not great (river), but as good as Mackie or similar - definitely useable.

As I stated in another thread, mixes done on Behringer Truth 2031A monitors translate very well in my experience. They give me what I want, even when I check the mix on the home stereo, the car stereo, the boom box and the NS10s.

So, the 2031As get my vote as well.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird
As I stated in another thread, mixes done on Behringer Truth 2031A monitors translate very well in my experience. They give me what I want, even when I check the mix on the home stereo, the car stereo, the boom box and the NS10s.

So, the 2031As get my vote as well.
Really ? I heard the complete oposite about them, but I guess it´s all a matter of what you compare them to.

I had the pleasure to check out the ADA8000 and I must admit it´s not bad at all and gets my vote, too. Clocked to my Rosendahl Nanoclock it performs much better though.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Well, seeing as how it's the B-2 PRO, it's ok. Just don't go slippin' the B-2 Amateur in anywhere.
hahahahahahaha....jerk. Funny and true.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Hi!

The BCF2000 (on Mac) and the Headamps. The B2 is good for Toms (really...) and the REV2496 sounds very good...

Greetz,

Mike
Old 15th August 2005
Here for the gear

I've had a pair of the headphone amps for about a year and a half, never a problem. And an ADA800, which is a great sounding box for the money. I also have the cable tester - sound quality not much of an issue here - which does more than most of the testers on the market do for half the price. As far as their other stuff goes, what did you think that eighty dollar stereo compressor was gonna sound like? I know that Behringer-bashing is fashionable, but I saved hundreds with the stuff I purchased over competing products, and it's hard to bitch about that.

-jd
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have a behringer dual-fex...

it doesn't suck, but it doesn't make things spectacular

it is connected to a cd player in the other room...

worked alright when helping a DJ track a demo, and with female vocals.

$10 on ebay...$20 w/shipping (or somewhere around there)

I also have a composer 2200 i think... I use it on the back of my rack to hold the back of my computer for ease of access...

Free... the previous owner sent me a copressor that had a bad fuse, when I emailed that the unit didn't power up, they refunded my money...

as a compressor, it was alright for one night... then it died, but as a tool to assist me in accessing my computer, it is perfect...

that and it was too big to use as a paper weight...
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

I think this thread has pretty well proven that Behringer gear doesn't completely suck ass and maybe people shouldn't pick on it so much or automatically write it off because of the name.

I think the ADA8000 deserves some sort of award. It might be the best bang for your buck peice of gear in all of the digital recording world.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

My guitarist and I both have Behringer cabs. They certainly get the job done and don't sound half bad doing it. The wheels on them SUCK. I've had mine for 3 years now and it's worked fine. I play out at least twice a month and it's been on 3 tours. The input is finally ****ing up, but I just use the other one instead. I don't really have any complaints with it.. but I am getting a new cab.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

all the modern behringer compressors suck ass, dont even mention them
i51423 - i dont like those those b cabs or amps, i dont know how you can use 2 of them, good to hear your getting something better
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
i51423 - i dont like those those b cabs or amps, i dont know how you can use 2 of them, good to hear your getting something better
They seem to handle our 5150s fine and don't sound horrible while they're doing it.. so eh. It works. I'm planning on getting an Avatar with V30s. heh
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
all the modern behringer compressors suck ass, dont even mention them

as compressors... yes, they suck, as do their preamps, and eq's, but as a shelf to support my computer, it excells... heh
Old 16th August 2005
well I have officially resigned as a behringer owner. I got a sweet deal on a third motu 1224. Sold my ADA8000 in less than an hour on EBAY (for more than I paid for it over a year ago, I might add) It is a perfectly funtional item and if I ever have to use one again it wouldn't bother me.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

I have the Headphone Amp...it does what it's supposed to and is actually pretty darn flexible. I also have a pair of the ECM mics. I almost never use them. As soon as I get a pair of Avensons...they're going to the bay.

And...I hated to buy another Behringer piece, but I just bought the FCB1010 (a midi footswitch controller). I looked at all of the alternatives, and it had all of the features I wanted (without going used). I'm definitely worried about the QC, but only time will tell. Plus...after I plunked down the cash for Live5, it was about all I could afford (again without going used).

-lsn110
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

The few bits and bobs I have used or owned of theirs all seem to have the same problems... the sound is never better than average (but you cant complain at the price) but the biggy is build quality- if they are in a rack hooked to a patchbay (not a behringer one!) they are OK but if you keep plugging in and out they die FAST!
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

The only Behringer I've heard that made a sound I liked was Uli Behringer himself playing Jazz piano at a Trade show!
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I keep hoping to see a studio pic with only behringer gear. I'm not sure if it would be funny or a picture of hell.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

there is a guy at homerecording .com who was talking about building a studio comprised entirely of behringer gear...

he seemed pretty serious.

I thought about it once...

my logic was that perhaps the source of the behringer "sound" was due to the incompatibility of behringer with every other brand, and that if completely composed of behringer gear, the studio would have a pure behringer sound...

I do not know what a pure behringer sound would sound like, but I am sure that it is on par with putting a guitar (w/ single coil pickups) in front of a crt or tv, and recording it with not enough gain...

it might even sound lo-fi...

like I said, I thought about it once. heh
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisWu
there is a guy at homerecording .com who was talking about building a studio comprised entirely of behringer gear...

he seemed pretty serious.

I thought about it once...

my logic was that perhaps the source of the behringer "sound" was due to the incompatibility of behringer with every other brand, and that if completely composed of behringer gear, the studio would have a pure behringer sound...

I do not know what a pure behringer sound would sound like, but I am sure that it is on par with putting a guitar (w/ single coil pickups) in front of a crt or tv, and recording it with not enough gain...

it might even sound lo-fi...

like I said, I thought about it once. heh
Hey this might be "ok", IF... you could go back and get just the "older" Behringer gear! It definately sounds, performs better than any of the newer gear they make! I wonder what happened to the saying..." IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT"..!.... heh
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtuner
I keep hoping to see a studio pic with only behringer gear. I'm not sure if it would be funny or a picture of hell.
Yes - this really exists!

I've been proudly shown around just such a 'studio' by the mullet-headed, guitar-thrashing proprietor - racks and racks of the stuff all patched into a Eurodesk.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
I've been proudly shown around just such a 'studio' by the mullet-headed, guitar-thrashing proprietor - racks and racks of the stuff all patched into a Eurodesk.

in an odd way... thats kinda cool... kinda rebelious...

But how did his productions sound?
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Nut

I have found one- and only one- use for the Tube Composer T1952. For a compressor, it sucks at compression, but I have used the thing when DI'ing a guitar. Now before your monocle pops out, let me explain: I don't even use the compressor part, because it's useless, but I did at one time try to use the limiter to catch the odd peak here and there, which it does decently but it also imparts a weird distortion on the entire signal. And not just the stuff it limits, but the whole freakin' signal. It sounds bad by itself, but for some reason, NI's Guitar Rig seems to like it, and I made a few presets that don't sound quite right unless this stupid box is in the chain. It's sort of like an overdrive pedal that's kind of broken, but has a sort of lo-fi charm to it. Of course, Guitar Rig isn't very good for distorted tones anyway, but there you go. And no, the unit isn't unbearably noisy; that is, unless you touch the hilarious "Tube Warmth" control, which only seems to increase hiss as far as I can tell.
So there you have it. I've found an extremely obscure use for one of the worst compressors I've ever so much as laid eyes on.
Actually, I was incorrect. It really has two uses: whenever a musician pal comes over, they're very impressed by its shiny finish, big knobs, and ridiculous backlit tubes. Of course, they also seem impressed by my Funk Logic rack panels, to which I've affixed electroluminescent strips behind the VU meters. Yes, I've got quite the vintage setup here.
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

I remember about a year ago there was this guy on this forum that had his studio pretty much all Behringer. I thought it was Ruddman because he had a name similar to that. He had like 2 large mixers and tons of rack stuff with those ugly mackie wanna be monitors. Anybody remember this guy?
Old 21st August 2005
I didn't read all the posts, but..

behringer started in the late 80's, early 90's with highquality progear. They produced greatsounding compressors and stuff.

you will know em just by the look. They are usually totally black (incl. frontgrill) and with red letters.

these compressors were quasi UREI rippoffs and priced with 3000$++. they are usually on ebay and great

cheers
Old 21st August 2005
Behringer has come a long way in the last couple of years.

1. Their new mixers have much improved mic pre's and work flow. They are useable and you can get good recordings if this is your budget.
2. The DDX3216 is the best buy at Behringer now. IT's only like $500 for this digital mixer that is better than the Yamaha 01V96 is many ways.
16 lighted encoders, more dedicated I/O means less time playing with the buttons.
3. Their latest reverb unit is up there against the Lexicon 500.
4. Their headphone amp was ok, but they improved it last year and is pretty good.
5. V Amp Pro, and Bass Pro are both pretty good sounding. It would say they are better than the Pod's, but not as good as the Pod XT''s.
6. Their top of the line headphones I would not hesitate getting. They are good for musicians in the studio who want to hear themselves. You won't have a Cow when they throw the headphones on the floor as you would with your AKG's.
7. Their larger guitar amps sound pretty decent too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search