The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Maniac
I am a Behringer hater since 1997 and only forgot about it a couple weeks ago, getting a Behringer XENYX X1204USB. Now I'm hating them again.

My measurement mic is the model that Nady and Behringer offer in identical form. Can't find much wrong with that one.
Old 4th March 2013
Here for the gear

I have a Behringer patch bay that has never failed...
Old 4th March 2013
Here for the gear

Miniamp AMP800 is solid
That's all I can do

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 4th March 2013
did anyone said "vacuum cleaner" yet?
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Original Powerplay Headphone amp.

Had it for about 15 years and it hasn't let me down once.
Old 4th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerophone View Post
did anyone said "vacuum cleaner" yet?
Only about 3,000 times, Dr. Freshjoke. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread?
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Head

xm8500 beats a sm58
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
xm8500 beats a sm58
Great mic for such a low price that it's almost for free.
Old 4th March 2013
Here for the gear

well I have a noise suppressor guitar pedal (or reducer, can´t remember now) and it works just fine, I heard for years that it killed certain frequencies and stuff, but tried much more expensive gear and heard no improvement, actually is falling apart but still works great and does what is supposed to do
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
xm8500 beats a sm58
Is it as clear/detailed as a Shure (or Prodipe)? You've got me interested in hearing one now. - Not that I haven't collected enough low end dynamics. heh

Thanks!
Old 12th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
Only about 3,000 times, Dr. Freshjoke. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread?
Yes!

I just finished modding an old autocom mdx1000 compressor that's a very well built unit with similar electronics to the dbx166. New opamps and caps everywhere and it sounds really nice. Gives real punch to drums (hard to get with plug-ins) and gives some mojo to the bass when on limiter setting(max ratio). didn't tryed it yet on vocals or anything else.

I'm just waiting for a mdx2100 to arrive. 30€ including postage .
Old 12th March 2013
I think most of the Behringer products have a fair price for what they offer.

I have the following and they are all worth the money:

B3031a monitors - good sounding powered spekears, can take some abuse
PX3000 patchbay - it's like a pice of tank armor, besides the fact that works
REV2496 reverb - very nice reverb, comparable to Lexicons but waaaay cheaper
ADA8000 - connect and forget

I also have some cheaper units like the Virtualizer 3D and MDX1600 which, for the price paid (next to nothing), can be a nice addition to any processing-chain.
Old 12th March 2013
I think most of the Behringer products have a fair price for what they offer.

I have the following and they are all worth the money:

B3031a monitors - good sounding powered spekears, can take some abuse
PX3000 patchbay - it's like a pice of tank armor, besides the fact that works
REV2496 reverb - very nice reverb, comparable to Lexicons but waaaay cheaper
ADA8000 - connect and forget

I also have some cheaper units like the Virtualizer 3D and MDX1600 which, for the price paid (next to nothing), can be a nice addition to any processing-chain.
Old 12th March 2013
Here for the gear

I won some Behringer MS20 speakers in a giveaway about a year ago. They have optical and S/PDIF inputs which would be nice if they didn't sound so awful. Really exaggerated scoop, almost no mids at all. If you turn the bass and treble most of the way down (rather than have them set at the notched-out 50% point) they can almost sound right, but they're still funny to my ears. Glad they were free, as I would have sent them back if I'd paid for them...lol

The only other piece of Behringer kit I own is an HA-400, which is a powered 4-way headphone amp. It works well enough for tracking multiple people on like a gang vox track or something. I wouldn't use it for critical listening but for what I wanted to do with it, it's fine.
Old 12th March 2013
Gear Addict

EM600 delay, super for it's price. Has got a great lofi tone! Put the repeat and time to 0, tape mode and dial with the dry wet for a cassette tone
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

If nothing else Behringer are a fantastic company for the simple fact they keep other companies on their toes.. Take the x32 for example, every other company making digital desks now has to reply with something of similar specs and price or face loosing lots of business..
Old 12th March 2013
Here for the gear

Other companies could put out something that works well with similar specs and price it 20% higher and I think people would buy this "x32 killer". The Behringer brand has a reputation for croaking too quickly or being too noisy or just being bad. That's the point of this thread, even. So if an inMusic brand or Presonus or Roland made a similar desk for more money, people would flock to that.

edit: And I think that's why Presonus has had great success with their Studio Live mixers. If they made a 32-channel Studio Live 32.0.4 (or whatever they want to call it) for $3500 it'd fly off the shelves.
Old 12th March 2013
Gear Maniac

my old Xenyx 802 compact mixer still works without issues. it's one of the first pieces of gear i've ever bought, almost 5 years ago. it's been turned on for at least 5 hours every days, and sometimes several days without turning off.

still works like a charm.
Old 12th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alllysdad2008 View Post
The Behringer brand has a reputation for croaking too quickly or being too noisy or just being bad. That's the point of this thread, even. So if an inMusic brand or Presonus or Roland made a similar desk for more money, people would flock to that.

edit: And I think that's why Presonus has had great success with their Studio Live mixers. If they made a 32-channel Studio Live 32.0.4 (or whatever they want to call it) for $3500 it'd fly off the shelves.
Ummmmmm, they DID make a 32 ch Studiolive, priced just under 4K. ($1000 MORE than the X32)
The X32 meanwhile pre-sold 20,000 units before it even shipped. I will be absolutely astonished if the 32ch Presonus sells well. Sales of Studiolives are down since the X32's introduction and Presonus have been resorting to poor marketing tactics to combat that their offerings are now comparatively overpriced and lacking features.

Behringer's reputation for quality is dramatically affected by the fact that they sell such an enormous amount of products. More products out there means more potential failures, which can incorrectly skew public perception. In fact, Behringer's statistical failure rate is VERY low, actually BETTER than some manufacturers that are traditionally considered more reliable brands.

People love to bash Behringer, but the truth is, as a high volume low margin type of operation, if they made unreliable products, they would not be so wealthy and successful. They are investing heavily into new R&D and seem to be moving away from the "cheap knockoffs" strategy into a more innovative approach. Lots of change with them in the last couple years for the better.
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllysdad2008 View Post
Other companies could put out something that works well with similar specs and price it 20% higher and I think people would buy this "x32 killer". The Behringer brand has a reputation for croaking too quickly or being too noisy or just being bad. That's the point of this thread, even. So if an inMusic brand or Presonus or Roland made a similar desk for more money, people would flock to that.

you just confirmed my point.. other companies now have to make the mixer and price it close to Behringer, if Behringer didnt come along with the X32 the market pressures wouldnt be as great.. Behringer are the company which drives competition more than other and that in itself is a benefit.
Old 13th March 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
you just confirmed my point.. other companies now have to make the mixer and price it close to Behringer, if Behringer didnt come along with the X32 the market pressures wouldnt be as great.. Behringer are the company which drives competition more than other and that in itself is a benefit.
As long as they don't drive the quality down.
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
As long as they don't drive the quality down.
i think cheaper is always going to mean lower quality, the main hope is it doesnt fall apart... I'm happy if lower quality means it doesnt sound as good as more expensive gear but things should still last for a reasonable length of time.. Having said that, ive not seen any more problems with Behringer gear than i have any other brands i've bought.. I certainly dont see the amount of bad publicity reflected in my own experiences..
Old 13th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
I guess it depends on whether or not you consider 20% close, or if my guesstimate is even reasonable. It seems Presonus' 24-channel board is $3000, so who knows, maybe they'd do 32 channels but it might be even more than what I initially proposed. Maybe $3800 or $4000 is more reasonable. And at that point, is a 30% or more difference close?

Still, the difference between Presonus and Behringer is that Presonus stuff works.
Old 14th March 2013
Deleted User
Isn't this moot, at this point?

Setting aside geopolitcal and global economic discussions, hasn't Behringer made a pretty decent showing of itself in the last few years?

If you want to spend more, you can certainly buy gear with better specs and performance, but, "sucks"? Not so relevant, these days, IMHO.

For the price, most of what they make is quite serviceable. Generally, I'd be more concerned with whether or not the person who is using it has the chops to get the most out of it (or any piece of gear, for that matter). That's far more likely to be the link that would benefit from attention. I'm generalizing here, but, it's worth considering.
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Another big + for the bcf2000. Just picked one up in a trade for a mic I wasn't using and man, I love this thing.
Old 14th March 2013
I had a little Xenyx mixer I used live for years. It got thrown down stairs, beer and wine poured over it and it still probably turns on if I go take it out of my shed.

I had a pair of Truth monitor speakers for a couple of years that I thought were great until I turned on my Adam A7x. I always wondered why my mixes sounded terrible...
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Maniac
I will say that my recent Behringer sucked less than my 1997 mixer, but that I really don't want other manufacturers driven to that level. Apart from it being broken my recent Xenyx had
- overly creating counting of input channels
- no gain control on stereo channels (just a switch and I didn't like the 2 levels provided)
- around 0 db on the master fasters the usb playback it had a weird stereo effect as you moved the faders

That is apart from the fact that all digital units (effects, usb) were broken as in distorting and giving digital noise after the unit warmed up.
Old 4th April 2013
Got a gig where I need to play into the desk, no amp. Bought the gdi21 for 30 something euros and just tried it out in the studio. Have managed to replicate the tone of my fender super champ di'd through the desk. Cheap piece of plastic but if turned on and put to one side it already seems to me that it's an absolute steal!
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

OMG a Behringer fanboy
But why is it shouting so much?
Old 4th April 2013
Here for the gear

DDX3216 mixer... Ace piece of kit

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search