The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 22nd January 2012
These have been a most pleasant surprise: BEHRINGER: B212D
Old 22nd January 2012
3 XM1800S 58type Dynamic Mic's,for $65 AUD[with carry case!],that sound totally fine.

Behringer 7[or is it 8?] band graphic pedal,that I use in conjunction with a BOSS GE-7 graphic pedal to smash the front end on my Marshall 2203[jcm800].

It doesn't have a "0db" notch like the boss,but as long as I use the most recent BOSS noise gate pedal[in send return mode on the Boss pedal] it's fine...$25.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Head

ada8000 and some of their midi stuff. they generally have terrible quality everything else
Old 23rd January 2012
Another vote for the ADA 8000. I don't even mind the mic pre's.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I have an ADA8000 and it works fine as my fx routing.
BTW, Behringer wasn't always made in China and light as a feather.
I got a couple of single rack German made Behringer units and they weigh in like they should and sound superb, still.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Head

Used ADA8000 for 4 years, and if anyone search for "lynx vs Ada8000" u guys will get a clue on how great and cheap this is.

I just sold mine to get te Aurora 16, then I read the "lynx vs ada8000" post and I must say I got a little "hmm......"
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
I have an ADA8000 and it works fine as my fx routing.
BTW, Behringer wasn't always made in China and light as a feather.
I got a couple of single rack German made Behringer units and they weigh in like they should and sound superb, still.
unusual to find.... everything since year 2 onwards it seems was made in china. their german stuff was amazing, but for chinese budget gear their china-built gear is very good too, just in a different league. german was sort of high end actually, chinese models are entry level but some can pass for pro withotu trouble.

there's more than the ada8000 and midi gear which is very good and suitable for pro work... lots more...
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

-1 on the ADA8000

I just had to send mine back. Wanted to use to increase number of outs for my live setup. But units built after 2009 (?) use an ADC chip which has an auto-mute 'feature' (problem): if digital silence for a few seconds the output mutes. When a signal is sent to that output it sort of wakes up slowly - sounds like a really slow gate.

Workarounds are to send a low (inaudible) test signal or use a dither on every output. I don't like workarounds, so I got a motu 828 instead.

Also heard tales of overheating (mine certainly got very hot while I was trying it and it wasn't racked). Maybe the older unit is ok though.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear
I don't know, but the thought of using some of those really cheap pedals in chain next to my my high dollar boutique shelf pedals makes me cringe for the noise and tell tale lack of depth and quality. I sort of learned in life in general, "you get what you pay for", a Fiesta is not a Corvette, and Corvette is not a Lamborghini, there is tell tale issue in the quality for the bucks.

Maybe just me, but I am so not thinking I am wrong that cheap is cheap. Some pedals are amazing quality for the bucks, some are overpriced but seems like one direction in quality yields to cost.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I don't know, but the thought of using some of those really cheap pedals in chain next to my my high dollar boutique shelf pedals makes me cringe for the noise and tell tale lack of depth and quality. I sort of learned in life in general, "you get what you pay for", a Fiesta is not a Corvette, and Corvette is not a Lamborghini, there is tell tale issue in the quality for the bucks.

Maybe just me, but I am so not thinking I am wrong that cheap is cheap. Some pedals are amazing quality for the bucks, some are overpriced but seems like one direction in quality yields to cost.
Go cry somewhere else.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:

Then peruse a different forum than the "low end" one?

My Behringer headphones suck. They bleed through so bad it's like somebody cut their jugular. I'll be replacing them shortly.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Any opinions as to whether or not this $35 preamp sucks (for reducing signal sterility ; beefing/warming things up) ?

BEHRINGER: MIC100
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

The housing is the main issue with the cheap Behringer stompboxes. The noise specs are reasonable - I have seen many "Boutique" pedals that are much noisier. The danelectros are certainly not doing much better!

I think they're great in that you can "demo" effects - kids can find out what a "Harmonizer", "Auto Filter" or an "Auto-Panner" does before someone has to splurge close to a 100 euro. Themselves and a buddy can get 20 euro together, make the order and hook their two 15 watt amps up together and listen as the inputs flick over and back. Or listen to their guitars quack, or make just god awful noises.

If they want a tremolo but, nicer, they can make an informed decision at a later date. They can save up for that Q-Tron or Pog or Red Witch Tremolo. Or if they think it sounds fine they've taken a bet and got lucky!

I don't really understand the Behringer hate. I have a Xenyx X2442 and the thing is perfect for what I needed - 16 channels, cheap! You've got 10 mic pres, 16 line ins, 4 seperate Aux's, 2 Headphone outputs, a built in comp and EQ and no noise issues. It even has the mandatory bad built in DSP, though the tap delay is useful for live stuff!

Would an Allen And Heath WZ3 16:2 do the same? Sure. But it's an extra 1000 (Or 800 for the 8 mic pre model) for full length faders and a better brand name. I'll take my chances, TYVM!
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Musicfan View Post
Any opinions as to whether or not this $35 preamp sucks (for reducing signal sterility ; beefing/warming things up) ?

BEHRINGER: MIC100
Use it icw another preamp, since it might get noisy. But it can definitely color your sound.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxVMH View Post
Go cry somewhere else.
What?
Is English your 3rd language or something?
Cheap crap is cheap crap, seems to be the consensus, I am agreeing as well.
Are you reading backwards, I have no idea what your problem is.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargojon View Post
Then peruse a different forum than the "low end" one?

My Behringer headphones suck. They bleed through so bad it's like somebody cut their jugular. I'll be replacing them shortly.
Oh I'm sorry it's a low brow forum, excuse me, wrong bus.
Cheap crap is cheap crap, the axiom of the universe.
Old 4th March 2012
Here for the gear

The V-Ampire is a decent digital amp and the GDI21 is a great Tech 21 ripoff. Tech 21 should be furious that they made such a good emulation for a fraction of the price.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Are you reading backwards
Are you reading at all? Start with the title of this topic and sub forum.

I bought an ADA8000. Did some blind tests with someone with an Apogee Duet. Unless we used a ribbon microphone, no one heard the difference. Someone on this forum ran a test: he passed a signal 20 times through Behringer & Lynx AD/DA-convertors. Main consensus: slightly different, but one wasn't better than the other.

Quote:
Is English your 3rd language or something?
Spot-on. I started learning English about 7 years ago as a third language.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't know about "low brow", it's more about "low budget" Some folks in the low end are trying to put together a usable recording set up for about what a "pro" would have in a decent guitar rig. The point is that you can make passable recordings with low end gear if you have some idea what you are doing and what the strengths and weaknesses of the gear are. Behringer fits in to the low end and some of the gear can be used. Everybody knows a Behringer B-1 isn't a Neuman, the point of this thread is can it be made to work and how well?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear
darkhorse actually said his post about pedal quality pretty fairly I think.

I agree too. and he didn't generalize that cheap is always bad.... so I don't really see the reason why cargojon posted what he did to darkhorse.

anyway, let's focus on the good of behringer, not the bad. :-)
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
darkhorse actually said his post about pedal quality pretty fairly I think.
Likewise, I intentionaly didn't quote him cause I felt people were coming down on him. He admitted what everyone does, it can be hard to include their gear amongst fancier stuff.

On a peer level this is especialy true. I've had freinds with no mixers mock me buying my Behringer. However they quickly shut up when I point out how cheaply I've gotten to a decent home recording setup - and I show them the results
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head
Can you blame me that I find it really annoying when someones enters a low budget sub forum, clicks on a topic that tries to accommodate positive feedback about cheap products, and then criticizes low budget material?

And when someone tries to explain that this isn't the place for such comments, they start criticizing language. Geez, as if I could compete with native speakers ... I started learning English 7 years ago for 4 years. I think I'm doing pretty well compared to some native speakers whose posts I've read.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Are you reading at all? Start with the title of this topic and sub forum.

I bought an ADA8000. Did some blind tests with someone with an Apogee Duet. Unless we used a ribbon microphone, no one heard the difference. Someone on this forum ran a test: he passed a signal 20 times through Behringer & Lynx AD/DA-convertors. Main consensus: slightly different, but one wasn't better than the other.

Spot-on. I started learning English about 7 years ago as a third language.
Cool, cheap is still cheap and ones ears are a piss poor judge of real specs. Whatever floats your boat. I am not a recording guy and I probably ran across this thread just as a new post. Only knowing of their pedals, I'll take the Tech 21 any day but that is just me. You guys do your thing. Anyone ever use measurement gear over just ears? I do not know that much about studios and recording but I sort of thought PINK noise frequency analysis and bench analysis was a relevant concept if one really wanted to know things beyond the limitations of the human ear. Any way happy camping.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Head
It's about the fun people have during the process of making music and the way people react to that music, not chasing pink noise through convertors to see that the $10000 convertor is better than the $100 convertor, when you only want to spend $100 on a convertor ...
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's about the fun people have during the process of making music and the way people react to that music, not chasing pink noise through convertors to see that the $10000 convertor is better than the $100 convertor, when you only want to spend $100 on a convertor ...
Fair enough, as a hobby it is probably good enough, I had a bit of background in sound engineering and got exposed to technical early on, probably why I have not attempted to build up a studio, cannot afford it.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Fair enough, as a hobby it is probably good enough, I had a bit of background in sound engineering and got exposed to technical early on, probably why I have not attempted to build up a studio, cannot afford it.
That's why some people try to make the best out of budget material.

I spent about $5000 in my home studio. I have 16i/o (I'm going to buy an extra ADA8000 for 24i/o), I have 8 headphone channels and can connect up to 24 headphones (2 HA-4700'S), I have automatic faders, and so on. Not nearly as good as buying a $500000 studio or hiring a $500/day studio. But when I get home, I get behind my desk or instrument and start mixing, making music, and so on, with no limitations. Except for 1 thing: that 10% better sound quality.

I get that you don't want to do the same. When you see and hear it's crap, I can totally understand that you'd rather not have it at all. But other people see and hear budget material as something reasonable instead of crap
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Max - in real life, he has an Atari ST with a mono screen and a Pod MK1.
Mastered to cassette.
Old 6th March 2012
JVC
Here for the gear

FCA202, etc

I have a FCA202 Firewire audio interface. If you are just planning to play back audio (music and movies), it is pretty good. Now the bad; AD converter on this thing is not good, it always sound "washed out."
Also, it suffers noise directly from the AC adapter that host laptop is emitting.

So, to me, it sort of sucked, I am now using M-Audio Quattro, which very old, not even USB 2.0 device, and it does better job (recording quality is better, less humming and ground noise, probably because it requires a AC adapter)
So, I don't use it anymore, it is too cheap to list on ebay (the market value is too low), and it is too light to be a paper weight.

Buying Behringer gear is like abusive relationship; you know it won't be that good anyway, your friends are against it, you'd go back anyway, hoping that this time you'll be sort of happy with it, and a few weeks latter, you are kicking yourself.

Haiving said that, some of the guitar pedal clones seem OK, well, actually no one else makes some of those pedals (some of those are clone pedals that the original vender has discontinued long ago.).
For instance, TP300 Ultra Classic Stereo Tremolo/Panner Effects Pedal, which is great for Rhodes piano. It's a Boss pedal clone (I forgot the name of the original pedal, but it is hard to find.)

Update: I tried their stereo tremolo (TP300), and I did not like it (some of you might think that all trem pedals are somewhat same, it is not), I returned right away.
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear
I actually saw a couple of their mixers recently which sort of amazed me they made anything of that level, they were not cheap by any means.

You guys go way over my head on the recording thing so much I do not understand a fraction of the gear, it all seems to get way too complicated.
I would be happy with a new Tascam multitracker that is pretty self contained and can burn CDs as I am not doing the band thing any more and have retired from the circus maximus. I had in the past always liked recording several tracks at once via mics and direct box speaker line taps and mixing or choosing the best from there. Recording is a different animal to be sure.

Speaking merely as a guitarist I cannot deal with the big B pedals. I get rather unhappy at times with my expensive ones and I would probably launch a few off the balcony hoping to hit the water hazard on hole 2.
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Maniac
I'm very pleased with my V-Verb Pro.
I also have a bass head (BXR1800). It's useable, but not the best. I usally mix it in with a DI for some color.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search