The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 27th October 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

ADA8000-love? Doesn't anybody know THIS BEHRINGER-DOCUMENTED BUG of the piece? How can anybody be able to use this piece for D/A-conversion (I am not)?

My PX3000 patchbay is OK and the V-Verb is very very good, too. I have no complaints about my MDX2100 Composer. Cannot say anything about reliability yet.
Old 5th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGear? View Post
I'll let you know.

I'm replacing a TASCAM M-1516 with a Behringer SX4882 in about a week.
And how is the 4882?
Old 6th November 2010
Gear Maniac

XM8500
Old 10th November 2010
Here for the gear

my 2 cents

not as experienced as most ppl here on gear slutz, only been engineering for about 3 years now. but ive worked with a decent amount of gear in this little bit of time and ive been exposed to many different, useful, and just strange techniques. so i dont kno how much weight my opinion is gonna hold here but ill start by saying this...im not a behringer fan boy lol..dont want you all to think that..ive used multiple behringer mixers and pre's and ill tell u..some of them are just collecting dust and havent seen the light of day in months/years. but the 2 products from behringer that i use and love are the bcf 2000 controllers [got 3 running controlling pro tools and i love em...payed 480 for 24 motorized faders at my finger tips..beat that price? cant..yes i kno they are not touch sensitive...yes i kno they have no i/o's ..but if you take a c24...take away the i/0's and touch sensitivity and w/e else to make it 3 bcfs and its still waaaaay more than 480] and the truth b2031's.. have these in my home studio and i really like them..ive used krk rokis from the 5s to the 8s..cant stand em...ive used mackie mr5's [which i own] and mr8's..also hr824's at the studio i work at from time to time..some yamahas too..but i digress.. the truths are pretty good in comparison.. reliable ..seem to be well built.. of course they have their weaknesses but ive learned to be able to mix on them just like you have to on every kind of monitor no matter the price...2 products from behringer i dont mind havin in my studio
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

I have the MiniAMP and the MiniMON and both have worked flawlessly without any issues whatsoever and sounds pristine. Sure, they are made of plastic and very light weight, but that's not necessarily a showstopper.

I also have a Xenyx1622FX, and while it works just fine, you won't be getting "boutique quality" mic pre's as advertised. They get noisy when you crank them up, but if you keep them off the last 20% of maximum boost, they sound like typical cheaper audio interface mic pre's (about the same as the Line 6 Toneport UX series)--not horrible, but nothing great either. The mic pre's on the TC Electronic Konnekt Live are definitely a lot cleaner and higher gain.
Old 11th November 2010
Gear Nut

I only have one Behringer unit: a Composer MDX 2000 that I bought new somewhere around the early '90's. It's still working and actually does a pretty good job.
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Powerplay Pro, baby! The Composer can do some decent stuff too. Actually kinda miss it sometimes.
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
ADA8000-love? Doesn't anybody know THIS BEHRINGER-DOCUMENTED BUG of the piece? How can anybody be able to use this piece for D/A-conversion (I am not)?
Depends on how you view this.
I use a focusrite octopre and an ADA8000 on my RME setup.
Never have any problems with this so-called mute bug.
Because I usually have a mic or a D.I. slung on some if not all channels of the ADA8000, generating a little signal.
Which I would have thought was the norm in most studios.
Am I missing something here?

Last edited by ivansc; 11th November 2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: accidental "hide" smiley due to crap mousepad
Old 11th November 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Am I missing something here?
Maybe... This bug applies only to the OUTPUTs (D/A converters) of the ADA8000 and does only apply to units build after 12/2009.
If you're using only the INPUTs, you'll never notice. Even on the current units build after 12/2009, but I am using the OUTPUTs (Digi 002R's ADAT-out into the ADAT-in of the ADA8000, ADA8000 line outs into my mixing console).
Old 17th November 2010
Gear Head

technical info on where Behringer cuts corners.

Hey,
here's a piece from prodigy pro from a guy who modded his Behr T1953. Not a ringing endorsement of modding their products, sounds like a pain in the butt. Apparently it ended up sounding like a $2000 preamp . . . because he put about $2000 worth of work into it. Surprise, surprise!
morgan

BEHRINGER MODS / UPGRADES - MY FINDINGS (T1953-Centric)
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

RiF - thanks, set my mind at rest.
I had totally missed you were talking about outputs.

My outs from the computer go to the ADAT on my Focusrite Octopre rather than the behri so even if I did have one of the newer boxes with the problem, I would not notice it! result!
Old 26th November 2010
New Behringer gear in my studio:

HD 400
MA 400
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
Does that really work ? My experience with Behringer noise suppression systems hasn´t been too glorious

dang after reading yalls comments im kinda wondering about if i did a good job buying my first compressor (mdx1200) i was mainly using it for elec and bass, although it did sounds like it was pushing the highs a bit too much but i thought it was the bass amp.

how are they on vox? do they suck ridiculously? can i even manage like some vintage sound or will i only get mud and thats it?
Old 25th July 2011
Like a lot of newbies, I was drawn in by Behringer at university when I couldn't afford anything better and my experience of them is hit and miss. I used a few bits of their outboard in the uni studios and didn't like any of it really (mainly the compressors and some EQ units.)

I bought the FCA202 Firewire interface - worked fine but headphone jack got a little loose and got the MIC200 'tube' preamp - worked fine on some settings but then died one day for no reason. Recently I picked up a Ultra-DI20 which doesn't sound great but is a useful tool for any stereo stuff and I also got the MINIAMP800 headphone amp - again don't sound great but for my level of recording it's not the most important part of my setup and does the job well.

I think someone said a while ago that Behringer is ok but not to be used for 'critical audio' and I agree with that. It's cheap gear but with a little bit of luck and Ebay searching you can pick up much better options for the same price as new Behringer stuff - I just got a Joe Meek VC3Q for £40 on Ebay, the same price as the MIC200 new.
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingstarted View Post
dang after reading yalls comments im kinda wondering about if i did a good job buying my first compressor (mdx1200) i was mainly using it for elec and bass, although it did sounds like it was pushing the highs a bit too much but i thought it was the bass amp.

how are they on vox? do they suck ridiculously? can i even manage like some vintage sound or will i only get mud and thats it?
probably leaning more towards the mud side of things...you using it live or recording?
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingstarted View Post
...sounds like it was pushing the highs a bit too much but i thought it was the bass amp.

how are they on vox?
Use your ears my friend. Take it out of the chain and listen to the result. How are the highs without the comp? That should help tell you what it's doing to your tone.

As for vocals, why not try it out? There's only one real way to know how it'll sound.
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Phew!!!!

I have a ADA8000 with date code 0707 so i'm gonna say the ADA8000 is great and my B2031A's fantastic!

Old 25th July 2011
Their Amps are good, GMX212, This thing was the loudest sound I as a human have ever heard, bear in mind ive seen Concord take off and stood on the front row of a U2 Concert. I cant recall what i did , but i plugged something in to the CD input on the back of the amp, its 100% volume. And gently bashed the low E string on my guitar. I almost pasted out and was in shock for a few minutes after. Im not exaggerating, its was massively loud ,deep and big. I sold the amp and went valve, but that thing is really well built has tons of Fx and sounds pretty good. It has its flaws as does most digital amps.
Old 26th July 2011
I had one of their old 300w bass heads. Bx3000t? It sounded great. Had a really cool feature called "shape"
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

BCF2000 !
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear
I have a eurodesk (an older one, not the one with integrated effects. 24ch 8 bus) that i've brought out on live recording & SR gigs a few times and it has performed admirably -- the EQs are nicer sounding than Mackie EQs, but that's not really saying much. pretty solid piece.

Oh and i have the 4ch headphone amp. It's a workhorse, sends 4 headphones back up the returns on the snake, and it's plenty loud. I do notice that it gets REALLY HOT and I had to move it away from all the other stuff in my rack, but that's my only complaint.

Have a pre & a comp that i'll use if every other channel in the house is occupied, but not until then. Sounds ok as long as you don't push it real hard and you leave all the "tube warmth" stuff dialed out.
Old 26th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Although I will NOT recommend anyone buy anything from Uli firstly because of his business practices and secondly because most everything is garbage, there are a couple of pieces of gear that seem to work well enough and I haven't seen too many dead on the side of the road.

1) The Ultradrive (their version of the omnidrive). They don't suck too bad sonicly and seem to live.

2) Their early quad comps were usable and dependable (far from studio quality but for R&R in a pinch.

3) The 8 channel mic pre & A/D converter (ADAT out). seems like a usable unit. The mic pre's suck sonicly but they are cheap and don't seem to die.

FWIW their worst product may be their active DI boxes. Yes they add some gain but.....they are not necessarily hi z (which is why you want an active in the first place (to preserve tone > 1 meg ohm is best), they are noisy and they die (either completly or stop accepting phantom and will only work on 9V batts). I've seen at least a dozen fail in this way.

Last edited by Dogoth; 26th July 2011 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson89 View Post
probably leaning more towards the mud side of things...you using it live or recording?
i'm mostly going to be using it for recording unless i ever use it before a guitar amp to cancel out the pick scrapes and give it more presence and depth.

but as far as recording, i was hoping to use it as an insert for the first two channels of my Firestudio Project, to level out vocals and stuff so i'm not always getting those accidental random clippings if someone wants to get a lil loud on their vocals or something.
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Maniac

I recently got three MDX2200 Composer Pro units used at a local shop for $30 each. 2 Channel Expander/Gate, Compressor, Limiter, with Sidechain input and Link ability. They have plenty of LEDs to show gain reduction, output level, etc. Attack, Release, Adaptive Release. For $30, this is a ton of really useful stuff!!

My only gripe is that it's a bit tricky to get a very low ratio. The knobs don't have a lot of range for getting a good 1.1:1 to 1.5:1 dialed in. The compression can sometimes be a bit pumpy and it may take a minute to get a good, transparent sound, but overall it's a huge bargain of a unit. It won't be hard to get $30 use out of this piece of kit at all!
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Maniac

I have to admit, I use selected Behringer gear for years, and I like it. Yeah, boo and hiss at me, but there are gems among the bunch!

Modules and Equipment where you definititely can't go wrong IMO:

- Ultramatch Pro SRC2496
Great module, has a SNR of -106dB on my end (connected via SPDIF to my RME Digiface), works great as codebreaker e.g. for MiniDisks and as frequency converter. Goes cheap off the street as well.

- Behringer Control Range (Fader and Rotary respectively)
Unbeatable for that price. A bit hard to setup at first, but I wouldn't live without my BCR and BCF now (I control Cubase and sometimes ProTools with it). Except that I do miss mini LCDs for each fader on the BCF (much like the ProControl 1 from AVID).

- The B2 Pro Microphone
That thing is a secret little gem. Wish I had more of them. For this price: three characteristics, pad, lowcut, spider and metal case! Ignore the emphasised upper midrange - nothing that can't be fixed with a proper EQ courve. Rode could cut a slice from that!

Else... I still like the old (read VERY OLD) Eurorack/Eurodesk series. Everything after that... nah, would rather go for Allan&Heath. Maybe even the Behringer PX3000 Ultrapatch (since it's a tad more versatile than Neutrik) - though both the Behringer and Neutrik cost about the same nowadays.

Didn't test much more except for the 4xDI (which was okay and robust most of the time). But I didn't use it long enough to know if this thing is a noise generator or not. The recordings I made with it back in the day were decent however. And routing was definitely very versatile.

What I still don't like is the stupid tagging of the (input) gain/trim knob of each Behringer device. It's so friggin' confusing (some even jumpy - the Ultramatch for example!). The Manuals are mostly sh*t as well (you don't know where the point of the unity level is, a lot of contradicting chapters, confusing connection recommendatoins). For starters, it's great. But it confuses the hell out of you if you then try to switch to different devices. Unless you learned the quirks of these modules of course.

Where I can definitely say "hands off":
The Tube Ultragain series. Wasted money, noisy piece of trash. Always had to boost the heck out of these devices until any meter reacted. And this simply can't be the case. It's now collecting dust in the bookshelf. But if I need a spare 12x7 tube... *cough*
Old 6th August 2011
Cable tester, headphone amp, solid state bass heads are pretty wicked.

My old vamp2 had an awesome "Brit higain" model
Old 6th August 2011
Here for the gear

I have used:

Behringer Ultragain MIC200 - This was a long time ago before I knew what I was doing, so I can't comment on the sound quality. I also never got to use it for vocals, only as a bass preamp. I recently pulled it out of the drawer only to find that it won't power up anymore. :( It was cheap but I expected to be able to get some use out of it.

Behringer MicroAMP HA400 - I never got to use this, either. I lost the power supply before I could try it out. Hopefully it turns up because I'd like to know if it's any good.

Behringer BA410 - This was one of my first bass cabs. I found it for dirt cheap in a used music shop. It sounded fine and was able to handle quite a bit of power, surprisingly. The down side was the weight. It was too big to haul to practice. As that was my only cab, I sold it and bought a lighter Avatar B212. The Avatar sounded much better but the Behringer did its job. I hear that the BB410 sounds better because of the paper cones, as opposed to the aluminum drivers on the BA410. I don't intend on finding out, though, since my bass rig is absolutely awesome now.

Behringer PMP1680S - We needed a PA system in a pinch so we went with Behringer. They offer a lot of channels for the price so it was hard to turn down. It's been a reliable powered mixer, though! We've used it for band practices, some smaller gigs, and to play background music at a graduation party. It's been good. The mains that we're powering with the PMP1680S are dirt cheap and can't handle bass very well. I would upgrade those before thinking about swapping out the powered mixer.

My experiences with Behringer haven't been horrible, but they haven't been flawless. I'm happy that the more expensive products that I've used didn't end up being a big waste of money. In that respect, I'm thankful. I'd be much more upset about the powered mixer being a piece of junk than the $30 mic preamp!

Of all of the gear that they offer, I'm most intrigued by the Behringer ADA8000. It's the one piece that I consistently search the forums for, in hopes of finding more information. Now that I have an interface that supports ADAT, the ADA8000 seems like a very cost effect way of utilizing those inputs. What's even better is that it gets a lot of appreciation and praise. That makes it hard not to buy one and put it to use!

I'm also interested in the MiniMIC MIC800. It's a modeling preamp, apparently, but in more of a desk-friendly format than the MIC200 or ART TubeMP (my other choice). The controls are more extensive than the MIC200, as well. I think they only cost about $40 so it might be worth a shot, but I'd beat myself up for choosing this over the ART TubeMP if the Behringer sucks. I'll probably end up going with the ART because I haven't found a lot of feedback on the MiniMIC MIC800. The ART TubeMP gets quite a bit of good feedback!
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Maniac

The only problem I have with the ADA8000, at least the more recent models, is the rumor that this device turns off both input and output if there is no signal for longer than a second. (some sort of auto gate)

I've read this at several boards now, also on GearSlutz. But I can't confirm it since I don't have the device. This however renders it pretty much invalid for me and would rather go for a MARIAN ADCON (8i/o) or SM Audio (just 8in) - both costs about the same "street".
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
A lot of manufacturers produce even more nice sounding, good looking and reasonable priced gear with a right to live. Maybe they have one unit that does not live up to the expectations, but in general these manufacturers do a good job.

Now, complete different story with Behringer. They offer a lot of bad sounding, cheap looking and not reasonable priced gear (noone pays for dog****, right ?!). But does Behringer also offer one or even two units that do not live up to the expectation since they actually do sound good ? Hmmm, nothing comes to my mind...

Can you guys think of anything ?

Bill
behringer offers some economical good sounding reliable gear for those with limited budgets.

if you have golden eared stereophile disease then you need a wallet to match.
Old 7th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Fox View Post
The only problem I have with the ADA8000, at least the more recent models, is the rumor that this device turns off both input and output if there is no signal for longer than a second. (some sort of auto gate)

I've read this at several boards now, also on GearSlutz. But I can't confirm it since I don't have the device. This however renders it pretty much invalid for me and would rather go for a MARIAN ADCON (8i/o) or SM Audio (just 8in) - both costs about the same "street".
I've read about that but didn't understand the severity of it. It sounds like a pain if it shuts off that frequently. :(

In all honesty, I would probably go for something from Focusrite, Presonus, or ART before the Behringer, so it probably doesn't matter that much. I haven't heard of the two options that you mentioned (Though SM Audio sounds vaguely familiar). I guess that's one more thing to start reading about.

Edit:

I was looking up some different mics that work well for recording acoustic guitar and came across the Behringer C2s. They're sold as a set of of two condensers for an astonishing $60. Normally, I'd disregard them as being a waste of money, until I heard a recording done with them. Surprisingly enough, they sound much better than I could have ever imagined. It almost seems like it would be worth having them around for the sake of having extra options.

You can hear some samples of the Behringer C2s on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=719313. I've been listening to "The Not Quite Dark Island" and, personally, really enjoy the sound. It'd be at least something to mix in with another mic, perhaps.

As far as low end mics go, I'm hoping that they won't disappoint!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search