The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 26th June 2010
If behringer made a vacuum, it wouldn't suck.

Oh. Sorry.
Old 26th June 2010
Gear Maniac

i put a xenyx2424fx in a friend's small project studio, we liked it enough to add a 2nd one. (for the price = nice)

ultragain pro tube pre model 2200. bought it many years ago, i've never had a problem with it, clean, quiet and plenty of gain. it's a great preamp, i use it happily on LOTS of stuff.

v-verb pro 24/96. damn fine reverb/fx unit!
virtulaizer pro: this one i'm not thrilled about but it has two KILLER reverb settings! paid 69 bucks for it so...!

i know several very pro studios that have a few beringer items in their racks...but they wouldn't admit it! quality control seems to be the major issue. in my experience some of their products are really nice.
Old 26th June 2010
Gear Head

it's all relative

Behringer stuff seems to have pretty awful audio quality. BUT it's all relative. I started recording on a Tascam 424MKII cassette four track (or mark III maybe), and when I bought a little Behringer EUROrack mixer to record through, it was a freakin' revelation just how much better my songs sounded (still recorded onto the tascam, mind you.)

Morgansterne

don't forget, Sgt. Pepper's was recorded on a four track . . . in a world class studio with professional engineers and studio musicians using the best available technology in acoustically treated rooms.
Old 26th June 2010
Gear Maniac
The HA400 headphone amp is pretty good, uber cheap but gives you 4 decent headphone jacks with individual volume control. Nothing wrong with it at all.
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

anyone care to comment on the discrete IMP (invisible mic preamp)?

I was just told by a fella (of the highest regard) that these things test and sound amazing.
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerophone View Post
If behringer made a vacuum, it wouldn't suck.

Oh. Sorry.

Read the whole thread next time and you'll realize how sad this joke has become....
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
anyone care to comment on the discrete IMP (invisible mic preamp)?

I was just told by a fella (of the highest regard) that these things test and sound amazing.
I think these are the ones in the ADA8000. If they are, in that unit, they are fine if you don't give em too much welly. They can get a bit nasty if you push 'em. Totally useable if you don't hit them hard

long
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

Last night I was watching Modern Marvels on TV. They were doing a bit on the US military's non-lethal acoustic weapons.

As the announcer said " Now this is really dangerous.." The camera panned to a closeup shot of a soldier's hand plugging a cable into a Behringer 802 mixer.

I thought I'd fall off my chair laughing.

I wish I had the clip for ya.
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Last night I was watching Modern Marvels on TV. They were doing a bit on the US military's non-lethal acoustic weapons.

As the announcer said " Now this is really dangerous.." The camera panned to a closeup shot of a soldier's hand plugging a cable into a Behringer 802 mixer.

I thought I'd fall off my chair laughing.

I wish I had the clip for ya.

That is pretty funny!
Old 5th July 2010
Gear Head

I love my BCF2000. It works flawlessly (I use it as a foot controller actually) and hasn't messed up once.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Addict

I'll let you know.

I'm replacing a TASCAM M-1516 with a Behringer SX4882 in about a week.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Addict

I ´ve heard that patchbay is a decent unit too... but I really never have tried one
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

i ownd a few behringer products. The only thing that was crap was a $20 pair of headphones, i still own a behringer headphone amp and a $30 behringer preamp with a tube....headphone amp is ok, has little quirks from time to time...
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude View Post
I actually just picked up a pair of their $50/pr SDCs because I figured they would be useful for audience recording.
I have those. they're actually not that bad. i'm sure they'll just randomly die in a year or two though.
Old 8th July 2010
Here for the gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong View Post
I bought my ADA8000 as a real quick fix,
I lent it to some friends (along with my 828 Mk1) . They did the whole thing using those 2 units (admittedly a few bits of nice outboard too, but all those converters) It sounds great and has now sold several hundred thousand copies! the engineer is a genius, however so there's your answer!
Should I be excited that I bought an ADA 8000 on ebay for 60 bucks AND a 828 Mk1 for 150 on there too? I am! Before this I had been using a Behringer MX8000 into a Mackie SDR24/96, with the direct outs going into the Mackie (no EQ's, etc). I'd say the MX8000 is a very quiet (transparent) board IMHO and I've used it for 10+ years. It makes the sound coming out sound like the sound going in, which is what I want. Never had an issue with the build and I've lugged it around to 4-5 different locations (it's not like it sat in one place). So thumbs up on the MX8000

I also recently bought a Composer on cl for 20 bucks. I use it as a di for my cuatro (acoustic guitar with a pickup) for live gigs and it sounds great, killing the ground hum I was getting with the limiter. I don't know if I'll use it for recording but I might try it since I'm more than satisfied with the live results. Thumbs up for the Composer

I have also used the XM8500 (SM58 knock off's) in live applications, and some singers have actually preferred it over the SM58 (go figure). It's pretty close but a little muddier than the SM58 IMHO. But for the price of three for 60 bucks, hey, I don't care if the singer slams it around. Thumbs up for the XM8500

I recently replaced my old PEavey crappy PA with a PMP1680S, for small gigs with no house sound. It does the job well with a lot of features and a not so bad sounding dsp effects. It does seem like it's built a little flimsy, so I'll have to be careful with it, but hey it was only $360 and sounds comparable to the Mackie it rips off which is double the price (and just as flimsy). Thumbs up for the PMP1680S

It seems like I'm giving the Behringers a lot of props but I bought each piece of gear for specific things, none of which were really for serious recording (except maybe the MX8000, but now with the MOTU and the ada8000, I'll probably use those for tracking and use the MX8000 for monitor mixes only). I agree with what a lot of people are saying on this looooong post that if you know what to use the tools for, you can use a cheaper tool with success. Who's going to bring an API suitcase to a small gig? I've already returned my investment on the gigs I've played with this (and other) equipment. I'd still be in the hole if I had bought 'top of the line' versions of the stuff I've used from Behringer
Old 9th July 2010
Gear Head

I've used a DDX3216 for the past few 4-5 years and—despite reading many horror stories on the internet—it's only let me down once (outputs went all crackly one day earlier this year, but worked fine the next morning—unit probably overheated). It was basically our audio interface, connected via ADAT to an ancient Creamware Pulsar card for 16 I/O.

However, all of its audio duties have now been replaced by a Focusrite Liquid Saffire Pro 56. But, thanks to Behringer's relentless pursuit to cram as many features into the DDX as possible, its faders and pots output MIDI CC, so it now acts as a rudimentary control surface. Everything (including all motorised faders) still functions perfectly.

We must be one of the few people with a DDX3216 that hasn't had any major issues (barring that one time earlier this year). It has served us well.
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

I have the 1953 pre barely seen in the really poor picture -and successfully use it as a riser to get the right side monitor to ear level...
- not connected to anything, so I cannot judge the quality

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!-fe27-018.jpg  
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear
The new UMX610 keyboard controller is quite good: nicely designed (you may disagree if you don't like your gear in Ferrari red... ), nicely built, excellent action, flawless integration (just plug it into a USB socket and boom, it works, no driver needed), sturdy but still lightweight.

BEHRINGER: UMX610

The only drawback: no aftertouch (but you can't really expect it on anything costing less than $400, if you need 61 keys.)

It's only $150 street (or maybe even less on EBay...) and it comes with a free UCA-222 portable USB interface, which is really useful when you're out with your netbook and you suddenly need quality audio. The interface alone costs $49.99. You also get a DVD full of software, though it's mostly demo and free stuff.
Old 11th July 2010
Deleted User
Berhringer omni measurement mic fits the bill for testing speakers (although its a bit noisy). There is no other option at the price and it hasnt broken yet.
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Maniac

My Behringer CT100 mpu controlled 6 in 1 cable tester does not suck. In fact, it's well made and pretty damn cool. Plus it's like 30 quid. It tests virtually every cable much quicker than I can with an ohm meter AND has test tones.
Old 12th July 2010
Here for the gear

I have a Behringer XM8500 dynamic mic that I used before I got my SM58. Obviously there is a difference, but for the price it is great. Still use it for backing vocals in my band. Had it about a year and it's still going, taken a few beatings from drum sticks.

Saying that, I got my SM58 second hand for the same price as one of them new. I know which one I would go for if I had a choice.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny91 View Post
I have a Behringer XM8500 dynamic mic that I used before I got my SM58. Obviously there is a difference, but for the price it is great. Still use it for backing vocals in my band. Had it about a year and it's still going, taken a few beatings from drum sticks.

Saying that, I got my SM58 second hand for the same price as one of them new. I know which one I would go for if I had a choice.
So you don't get a choice as to which of your own mic's you can use?
Old 12th July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
So you don't get a choice as to which of your own mic's you can use?
If I had the choice between buying the two was what I was getting at
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny91 View Post
If I had the choice between buying the two was what I was getting at
I realized that.. I was taking the piss out of you. The very words you used could have been taken that way.. I was just trying to point it out and make a little joke.....
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong View Post
(Re:the Behringer IMP invisible mic preamp) I think these are the ones in the ADA8000.
I wonder how much variation there is in their mic pre circuits. I just looked that name up out of curiosity and it does indeed show as being in the ADA8000, but also in the UB Eurorack, which I guess also means the Xenyx series stuff (PCBs in my Xenyx 502s have "Eurorack" printed on them). Seems like something has to have changed over all those models and time. Main reason I'm wondering is that I've read comments on (I think) one of the small UB mixers where someone said the pres were noisy and unusable. I haven't had that experience with the 502 (own two), but it's been limited to some really basic vocal testing with dynamics. In one unit I also swapped all the CoolAudio 4560 opamps on channel 1 with BB2134s. Just grabbed an 802 off Craigslist and am looking forward to seeing what it does with condensers.

Take Care
Old 12th July 2010
Gear Addict

The 2030p monitors are an exceptional value for the money.

Here's their measured response:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...f?t=1278951163

(I also have waterfall and off axis measurements if you are interested.)

They're really great monitors and for only $130/pair.

Other than that, I also own several EP2500 amps. Also an incredible deal for the output. The EP2500 was actually shown to outperform the fabled Crown K2. Where else can yo get 2000w of clean output for $250?
Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

The mixers are good

I haven't had too many mixers: an ancient metal Soundcraft that was noisy as hell and muddied the sound; a Yamaha MG 10/4 that was fine, if slightly hissy and now two Xenyx Behringers which are also fine. Their background hiss is of a lower pitch than the Yamaha, but of about the same volume.

The effects of the Xenyx 1202FX are at first try quite standard, but when plugging a high-quality device in, say a Studio Projects B3, then some of the effects actually sound quite good.

I would recommend a Behringer Xenyx mixer for anyone on a seriously tight budget. If you want better you have to pay more...as with most things.

EDIT: in the interests of accuracy, the ancient metal noisy mixer might have been a Studiomaster, not a Soundcraft...started with an "S" anyway.

Last edited by dhollmusik; 14th July 2010 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: disclaimer
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post
The 2030p monitors are an exceptional value for the money.

Here's their measured response:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...f?t=1278951163

(I also have waterfall and off axis measurements if you are interested.)

They're really great monitors and for only $130/pair.

Other than that, I also own several EP2500 amps. Also an incredible deal for the output. The EP2500 was actually shown to outperform the fabled Crown K2. Where else can yo get 2000w of clean output for $250?
What amplifier do you use with those? And would you say the passive are better than the active set(2030A)? And do you know how they compare with the B3031A the new model with Kevlar woofers and ribbon tweeters?
Old 15th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
What amplifier do you use with those? And would you say the passive are better than the active set(2030A)? And do you know how they compare with the B3031A the new model with Kevlar woofers and ribbon tweeters?
What amplifier was used isn't important. Regardless, I used an ep2500.

My friend has the 2030a's, they sound the same. There's no audible hiss or ground noise at high levels from the amplifier which is nice. However, I'd still buy passive as for me, it's much easier to manage and repair if something fails.

Can't comment on the 3031's.
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post
What amplifier was used isn't important. Regardless, I used an ep2500.

My friend has the 2030a's, they sound the same. There's no audible hiss or ground noise at high levels from the amplifier which is nice. However, I'd still buy passive as for me, it's much easier to manage and repair if something fails.

Can't comment on the 3031's.
I have a realistic sounds system, do you think this hify system would be OK then?

Thanks!

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 15th July 2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: addition

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search