The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Behringer gear does not suck ?!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I have 3 ada8000's; I've only had to repair the voltage regulator on one of them.

They'd be FABUlOUS if they weren't *PHASE INVERTED* on the outputs.
This is the kind of mistake a company behringer makes;
Make a decent product; sounds as good as my hd24; hard to tell it from a lavry
given the right circumstance and they make that rookie mistake.
Yeah, everythig on it is cheap; but at the pricepopint you can afford an extra.

I'm keeping them around; basiclly because they are worthless; they sound
better then the digidesign 888 for sure. But even with a ADAT bridge, or a 3/4
port firewire or pci converter; I still have inverted outputs; that have to be
delt with somehow digitially in phase conversion. quite the bummer.

The AD isn't that bad, the mic pre isn't that bad. It's really too bad the a/d pot
isn't bypassed. But again; not finding out forever in a day there was a huge
manufacturing screwup... priceless.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

Good enough for live sound, but keep it out of the studio, would be my opinion.

I have gotten some good used out a very very cheap Behringer head phone amp..........
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmad69 View Post
They'd be FABUlOUS if they weren't *PHASE INVERTED* on the outputs.
That's a case of reverse engineering gone bad.
IIRC, some early ADATs had that very same problem (I remember starting a project on a std. ADAT and doing the overdubs on an XT some weeks later: phase hell!)
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Acutally the old ADAT problems were suggested; but it turn's out,
they just miswired pins 2&3. The schedmatic even shows it right.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylaj04 View Post
Good enough for live sound, but keep it out of the studio, would be my opinion.

I have gotten some good used out a very very cheap Behringer head phone amp..........
I hear ya, but IMO for live if something breaks you're screwed; at least in the studio you can hold the talent long enough to do a quick switch without hundreds or thousands of people knowing something went south.

I got an old HA4000 on the 'bay last month for $40 and it sounds great- has a linear PS and heavy steel chassis like the MDX2100 compressor I have- Well I have 2 of those and one was DOA. :(

Despite the flimsy build and dirt cheap switching PS in their new gear, I stil swear the DCX/DEQ/SRC 2496 product has top-notch sound if set & used properly, though I'd still be nervous using any of it in mission critical situations. Works fine at home, where it belongs.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
I guess if they made a vacuum cleaner, it wouldn't suck.heh....
Wow that joke really does get funnier the 9th time. The 7th time was funny but, wow, now I'm dying. Off to the doctor to see why.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmad69 View Post
Acutally the old ADAT problems were suggested; but it turn's out,
they just miswired pins 2&3. The schedmatic even shows it right.
So make a phase flip loom for it...?
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

another vote for the fantastic SNR2000 !
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud View Post
another vote for the fantastic SNR2000 !
yeah, it works very well. is there any vst plugin which does the same?
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Another vote for the DEQ 2496 & HA headphone amps !~!
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampsarus View Post
Wow that joke really does get funnier the 9th time(...)
I thought so myself, that's why I just HAD to (re-)post it.
Old 6th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosskitty View Post
For those that are on a budget the ADA8000,is worth every penny as a short stop to an extra 8 channels!

I dont care what you say, dfegad Focuswrong=crap, dfegad Presonus=crap, tutt Audient=way over priced,crap for the money (cos u could be spendin your cash on Apogee converters instead when your in that kinda price range), dfegad Mackie=crap!

The ADA8000 does its job ,as long as you dont base a whole mix/recording around it!
Its still crap though
Old 12th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post
I have a BCF2000 control fader unit that is pretty much the best bang for buck I have witnessed in recent years...

THank you! thats right!
Old 15th October 2007
Here for the gear

Thumbs down Behringer in the clubs

Just returned from six weeks in the U.S. running sound for a mid-level band. Alot of clubs are buying Behringer gates, compressors, eq's, and d.i.'s, and I'll tell ya', there's nothing more depressing than walking into one of these places, knowing that my job is to make the band sound good. The worst thing is the eq's. Ever tried to get a cheap Yamaha monitor loud using a Behringer eq? Believe me, it sucks when all eyes are on you and the squeal just won't come out. So you lower the volume, then the singer gives you dirty looks and says through the p.a., "I need some more vocal up here!" Sometimes Behringer makes me want to get out of the business of live sound altogether. Luckily, we're doing mostly nicer venues at this point. It makes me smile when I walk into a place and see a rack full of real pro gear!
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Nut

DCX2496 Ultra Drive
I use this on my 7200 watt PA. Great features. Great sound. Great price.
The only problem I have with it is communicating with it from my computer. About 25% of the time it will not connect and I have to make the adjustments through the front panel. No big deal.
I will definitely buy another. Much better than the Driverack PA. Much less expensive than the Driverack 260.
This unit does not seem to be a direct copy of any other product.
Maybe Uli's boys actually designed this one.
Old 16th October 2007
re: the phase reverse thing...just as a sidenote, when i was working for a PA company, we always had to put phase reverse adapters on high end Klark Teknik EQs cause they're British and wired "backwards" too...just thought that was an amusing coincidence.

also, gotta say I picked up a cheap ass Behringer 4 banger headphone amp just for listening while overdubbing and it's just fine...i work in a music store so after my discount it was like 30 bucks, so ya can't go wrong there. as many people have mentioned, as long as no audio that will be recorded is going through it, Behr stuff is just fine and a great way to save some coin if you're on a tight budget.

Cheers
Old 18th October 2007
Gear Nut

behringer listening time!

heres a song i recorded a year ago using behringer eurodesk 2442 preamps and a digi002r for a/d conversion into my laptop. i also used an autocom pro for bass and vocal tracking. the song was recorded in a small crappy rehearsal room wich had an overflowing trash can and was about 15 square meters in size. i mixed it at home on my laptop using beyerdynamic dt911 headphones and no outboard gear.

additional info:

drums: tama starclassic maple micd up with sm57 for snare and toms, d112 for kick, c451 for hihat, c391 for ride and 2x c1000s for overheads.

bass: cant remember, some cab and a yamaha bass guitar, micd with d112 and sm57

guitars: marshall jcm2000 and marshal cab, micd with sm57 and e609.

vocals: some noname t-bone sct2000.

enjoy... ;-)

Attached Files

02 Sienna EDIT MASTER.mp3 (5.12 MB, 608 views)

Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

I bought Intelligates back when $220 each was a great price. At the time, they worked far better than competing DBX and Valley units I A/B'ed against, all of which cost a good bit more. They easily had the fastest and least artifact laden response on the attack, and I was looking for something on close drum mics. Never had one side by side with a Drawmer of Aphex, but they seemed on par in terms of speed and chatter control.
Old 18th October 2007
suiseidl: not too shabby i must say, for behr pres. i've gotta assume by the sounds though that the drums were replaced/augmented with samples after the fact?

overall though, very decent for having been mixed on headphones.

cheers
Old 18th October 2007
sounds good to me suiseidl!!
good work!
Old 18th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak View Post
suiseidl: not too shabby i must say, for behr pres. i've gotta assume by the sounds though that the drums were replaced/augmented with samples after the fact?

overall though, very decent for having been mixed on headphones.

cheers
yeah, kick, snare and toms are triggered using bfd. ok, so i lied on the outboard gear, i used a roland trigger to midi converter for this job. ;-)
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Nut

I've been using a VMX300 (three-track for DJ'ing) for almost two years with no problem, including at a few gigs. I know someone else who has an older three-track with a fault in no less than the crossfader! Not nice at all. They have to keep it in the centre and mix with the individual faders which is perfectly fine, luckily.

I had some Behringer headphones, and they were worse than much cheaper regular consumer headphones I've had. They broke a few months ago and I'd had them since Jan 2006.
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by optix View Post
So make a phase flip loom for it...?
Does Behringer make a flip loom
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Addict

there headphone amps aint bad
Old 7th November 2007
Here for the gear

If they made a T-shirt it might not fall apart 50% of the time but then again you would be promoting a product that fails 50% of the time and sucks the other 50%.
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Nut

I'm turning off the Bherry stuff- The gear I already have that is for non-critical monitoring or home use I'll keep till it breaks, but I won't be buying any of their gear for anything in the future...Though I still say the SRC2496 and DCX2496 SOUNDS I say SOUNDS SOUNDS as good as most anything you can buy. Just better have fire insurance if you leave it on all the time.

The guys I'm working with now can get pretty much anything I'd ever want for dealer net or less, and they have been "forgiving" about some of the gear I have. I'd never hear the end of it if I went there again though.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

We have 3 deq 2496 - I travel with one ~~~ when I engineer elsewhere ...it's my magic

Hard to touch at $100 used --not many can offer > all that's in that box ~! Behringer DEQ-2496-mint condition - (eBay item 200169355196 end time Nov-03-07 04:39:25 PDT)
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Maniac

When it comes to live use, if you take care of it there is no reason it shouldnt work. Most of the time in a midsized/small venue (which most are these days), the acoustics and setup of the room are so bad, and the room is so loud, that you couldnt tell the difference between an 1176 or a Composer.

Give a talented engineer what you got, and he'll give you a good sound.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Head

I just love Behry Gear, Love it !!! L' "O" ve' it !!!

dfegad I piss on all the other gear manufactures stuff out there, that is all the gear that is just way way' too expensive for us poor ol' musicians', like me, for me to afford to keep playin' music still, and to pay my mortgage, and all my bills, while playing music!!!

No, just kidding, the other really nice expensive music gear has its place in time and history and musical significance!

I just can't afford most musical gear and studio stuff out there on the market today and in the past even used prices. Sigh...........

I agree with most on the reliability aspect of Behringer products, but they seem to be getting better useful products out now and more reliable?

Oh well the products that I think that don't suck from Behringer are:

V-Amp Pro and Bass V-Amp Pro
All their Behringer MX line of mixers (older mixers)
Behringer V-Verb Pro
Cable Tester
BCF2000 and BCR2000 great MIDI controllers and can learn to control anything and I mean anything that has a MIDI in.

Behringer fountain pens ( it would be good advertisement?) and vacuum cleaners ??? do they make that? maybe in the future ? Dysan competition anyone.......?

Last edited by aarowsmith; 8th December 2009 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: correcting my stupid spelling and grammer.....
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Addict

CT100 Cable Tester. I have three, no problems, very useful and rough in the road.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search