The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Just bought a MXL V-69 !!!!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Just bought a MXL V-69 !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marshall MXL V-69 Mogami Edition Tube Mic....

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...ser_index.html

Just bought it today for recording with Audition.....

Roger McGuinn says in his dvd to use a good quality tube mic.....

Reviews are comparing it to a Neumann U-47 for sound quality....

Some say it's the best mic for under $1,000.....

People who have them seem to like them alot....

Very few are coming up used on E-Bay

I love the looks of it, and the quicky plug in sound check I did at the store sounded great.....

Big step up for me.....

So I'll be running sound checks all day today....
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Let us know what you think. I believe I posted on another thread to you about changing out the tube to a NOS tube. This will improve the sound a lot so give that a go. As far as competing with a U-47?
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here's a quickie sample of the V-69 on a Martin D-18....

As far as comparing it to a U-47 I dunno, I don't have one to compare it with, that's just what somebody else said in a review......but I definitely do indeed like the sound I'm getting in my first sound checks !!!!!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Good Move... For a mic under $300 it shouldn't be in the "High End" forum....
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, I will give the NOS tube a try eventially, but I want to work with it stock for awhile....as I have never had any tube mic before...and i want to get a good feel for it...

I have found a supplier of the tube, so your advice has not been forgotten, Thanks....

At this point in time, I'm very happy with it....or as Klaus would say, "It has a very satisfying sound to my ears"......
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

Good stuff Djwayne! I'm a big fan of the V6 model. Sounds very close to a U67. The V12 is also a great mic really solid on acoustic guitars and male vocals. Rumor has it that Leonard Marshall is currently working on another silicon valve mic specifically modelling a U47. Can't wait to hear it. Congrats on the mic bro!
PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S You ever get that PM I sent you?
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, I just got your e-mail, thanks, everything's cool.

The V-69 sounds great and I'm very happy with it. For $300, it's a gift from the microphone gods.

The sound is marvelous, and will greatly improve the sound of my recordings....one of my buddies who also heard a sample, now wants to come over and do some recording finally...I've been trying to get him into the studio for years....he heard the above sample and e-mailed me right away....NOW he wants to come over....

On top of all that, the mic looks great with the gold screen. Very rich looking compared to painted mics. It looks great in my studio. heh
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Just for fun, I did a mic shoot out with the V-69 on one channel, and the Superlux CM-H8A on the other channel.....both mics spaced about 6" apart, on a Taylor 12 string guitar...here's the results...... heh
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Additional comments....I'm not real impressed with the shock mount, it looks a little cheesy, it holds the mic tight enough, but a little bump and the mic would pick up some noise....it works, but a better quality shock mount is in order.....

The Mogami cable is very nice, the power supply seems to be adequate, and has a some weight to it, not like a cheap wall wart.

The case, although not an anvil grade type case, is good enough to bring the mic over to your buddy's house, but I'm not so sure about airport gorilla's though.

The mic itself though is nice, and I do like the sound I get from it with the rest of my system, and a very good value for the money.

Regarding switching out the tube for a NOS tube, I'm not sure how that will effect the rest of the circuitry or warranty...doing any modification may void the one year warranty.....so I'm not planning on doing that anytime soon.

The 24 karat gold plated screen does look very nice, and grows on ya. Sort of like gold hardware on a Les Paul guitar, it does indeed look nice.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Regarding switching out the tube for a NOS tube, I'm not sure how that will effect the rest of the circuitry or warranty...doing any modification may void the one year warranty.....so I'm not planning on doing that anytime soon.
Depends on what kind of NOS tube you put in it. I compared Telefunkens and Mullards. The Mullards had a more forward midrange and the Telefunkens smoothed out the spitty high end quite nicely. Honestly most of the things that tend to bug me about the mic don't go away with the tube but it makes it a whole lot more useful that it does with the cheap chinese tube. It just depends on what quality you want.

As for the warranty? Its an easy replacement and I don't think you should worry.

Again, just my 2cents! Glad you liking the mic though.

Michael Greene
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Well, I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do have some schooling in electronics. I know nothing about the circuit design of this mic, or how another tube would effect the components. Quite possibly another style tube would generate more heat and possibly damage the components, or possibly put out a hotter signal that could also do some other damage, and effect the long term life of the mic. It may work good for a week or two, but cause parts to wear out quicker. These are realities in electrical design, and as Einstien said, "every action causes a re-action"....sooooo I'm smart enough to know I'm dumb enough not to attempt any experimental modification on my own, so as not to damage the now working mic.

I've damage plenty of stuff in my day, making modifications beyond my understanding, to know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Maybe after the warranty runs out, or if I get an okay from the manufacturer, but not until then. They designed the mic to work with a specific tube, and changing that may change everything. You have to remember, you're dealing with very sensitive electrical components, that have very strick tolerances, and may or may not be able to work with an unknown modification, and I don't want to get stuck with a broken or burnt out mic. Given the sensitivty of electrical components, it's a small miracle it works at all.

Thanks for th input though, but I'm very pleased with the stock sound of the V-69 on my Martin D-18, this guitar has never sound this good with any other mic I've owned.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

A client brought one of these into my studio when we were doing vocals and was like MXL? But it actually sounded quite good!
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just for fun, I did a mic shoot out with the V-69 on one channel, and the Superlux CM-H8A on the other channel.....both mics spaced about 6" apart, on a Taylor 12 string guitar...here's the results......
Sounds great. What did you use for mic pre?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I used my homemade channel strip...the chain is

Both Mics>Tubessence Model 107 pre-amp> Rane ME15 EQ>Rane DC24 Dynamic Controller(Compressor/Limiter)>TC Electronics M-300(used as a A/D converter to S/PDIF). 1010LT soundcard>Adobe Audition 1.5 recording software.

Note, in this test the eq is all zereo'd, and the compressor bypassed....all effects on the M-300 off and is used as a converter only.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I got one of those a few months ago DJWayne. Nice mic. Impressive sound and impressive looks. Right now I'm using a DBX 576 with it but I ordered a Grace Designs 101 mic pre to couple with it.

I'm expecting a really beautiful sound with that combination, great tube mic with ultra clean solid state preamp direct to SX. I think those two devices will be having glorious sex and produce some wonderful offspring!

I'll report back next week when the mic pre comes in.

Lawrence
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

No doubt a better pre-amp would sound even better. The Tubessence I have is about 10 years old and only cost around $250-300 back then....pre-amp technology was still in it's infancy....I'm sure many improvents have been made over the years....I've been looking at the Tampa as a replacement, but can't afford it for awhile, got lots of other expenses right now...so I'm making do with what I have.

Keep in mind these are very quick tests, with very little setup time or mixing done. Basically just turn on the mic and record, mix to mp3 and upload...so they're pretty raw....I did do some noise reduction to eliminate some fan noise, but that's it.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
No doubt a better pre-amp would sound even better. The Tubessence I have is about 10 years old and only cost around $250-300 back then....pre-amp technology was still in it's infancy....I'm sure many improvents have been made over the years....
I think pre-amp technology is just a little bit older than 10 years. In the 40's and 50's no one was being recorded using stone knives and bearskins. In fact, the highly venerated Telefunken, UA, API, Urei, Trident and Neve designs of the 50's, 60's and 70's are still being copied, cloned and emulated today.

The Aphex and ART "starved plate" tube designs are what's a relatively new idea, and not something that our audio purists forefathers ever considered for good reason.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Of course it is, I was building pre-amps back in high school in the 70's, but what I mean, is over the years, newer designs are coming out that weren't available back when I bought the Tubessence. Even the Tubessence was a breakthru for me, as it was a pre-amp I could afford, and at that time, I didn't see many available at my favorite music store. So the selection of available pre-amps is better today than it was years ago, in my opinion...maybe I'm just more aware of them now.....but there was no Portico, Great River.....pre-amps may have been available, but the local music stores didn't stock or display them, and back then, and that was a main source of information.....
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
...pre-amps may have been available, but the local music stores didn't stock or display them, and back then, and that was a main source of information.....
Man, I can really identify with you there. I worked in the "Pro Audio" department of a music store from 1984 to 1994, thinking I had a handle on what stuff sounded good. Now I'm just beginning to understand that what we called "Pro Audio" in the music store was a far cry from real pro audio products.

My Fatso, Seventh Circle Preamps and Dynaudio speakers alone have been a complete re-education in the higher quality level of real pro audio gear, albeit at an equally higher level of pricing.

I'm ruined. Once I heard the sonic quality imparted by my SCA J99 (a John Hardy type preamp) and the Fatso, my JoeMeeks got quite a lot less usage.

Mom, send money. Lots of it!
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Exactly, going up to the music store was an adventure, you'd never know what you'd find, and once in awhile you'd see something that was advertised in Keyboard or Mix, and the brain starts clicking.....the lowly Tubessence was highly touted back then, and I really did like the improvement it made to my mics. I had two of them at one time for 4 channels of pre-amps, but traded one off for some other gear. I still like it, but haven't been able to compare it to any of the newer pre's out there today.......so I like what I know, and already have.

I could easily spend another $20,000 on gear in a day or two, but I'm restricted with my budget.

Next up on the list is a new midi-sequencing software program to replace Visions...either Cubase, Tracktion or a new release from Cakewalk Home Studio or something like that......haven't made a decision yet.....I want to try them out first....probably not till Setember though, as I have some car maintenance I have to take of before winter........tires, battery, ect....but I'd like to have a new sequencing program to work with over the winter months...

The above sound sample on the Martin D-18 is good enough for my needs at this time....so I'm done upgrading in that department for a while.....

I was also surprised at how well the Superlux did along with the V-69...both mics together sound pretty good. The Taylor is a bit tinny sounding, and hard to get a really good recorded sound from, but the Martin sounds better than ever. So I'm very happy with the V-69 purchase. It's a definite upgrade for me.
Old 23rd July 2005
Nice Thread!
Old 24th July 2005
Han
Lives for gear

Quote:
doing any modification may void the one year warranty
As far as I know there's a 3 year warranty, mine got some problems after 2 year and I got a brand new M69 for free.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks !!

Here's a more mellow recording of the V-69 and Superlux on the Martin D-18...

Mics space about 8" on center...
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Same thing with a touch of reverb and eq added with Audition 1.5. I got the reverb settings from Roger McGuinn's dvd on computer recording... this is what he uses...........minor changes, but a little nicer...
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just for fun, I did a mic shoot out with the V-69 on one channel, and the Superlux CM-H8A on the other channel.....both mics spaced about 6" apart, on a Taylor 12 string guitar...here's the results...... heh
Which mic did you use on which channel? I'm talking about the first mp3 you posted, not these more recent ones. Whatever is on the right channel is the one I like, at least after a couple listenings.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

The first mp3 was "ticket to ride", both channels were the the V-69. It was just a mono recording with the V-69 only.

On the shootout between the Superlux and V-69, the right channel is the Superlux, and the left channel, the V-69. I haven't switched them for any of the recordings.....However, in placement, the Superlux is on my left and the V-69 on my right, so the Superlux is closer to the 12th fret, and the V-69 closer to the sound hole, which I'm sure is making a difference.

The difference could be do to mic placement, but the Superlux does indeed sound better than I thought it would in comparison.....but both together is what I'm really liking.....as before I was using the Superlux and the installed guitar pick-up which was very mid-rangy.....

I'm finding out that both guitars and mics have a sweet spot, which must be located by using headphones, while playing and moving around the mics.....the sweet spot on the V-69 is very pronounced and the guitar must be placed precisely in that spot to get the best sound.....but once you do that....mmmmmmmm.....

so my experiments continue........with various mic placements....
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

The recording I'm talking about is the one called "Locomotive Breath". So the mic coming out of the right channel is the Superlux? It would be interesting to hear the same music played with the mics swapped, but in the same positions.

I agree they sound good together, double micing your guitar like that.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Okay, here's Locomotive Breath with the mics swapped in positon only.

No eq, reverb or anything other than the same fan noise reduction as I've done on all the samples...so it's pretty raw.....

I think the Tubessence is helping out the Superlux a little....as it usually does with any mic.

In similar tests I've done with a 421 and C-1000, the Superlux always sounded best. I'm pretty impressed with it for cost of it...

To better explain my recording setup, I'm set up right in front of my computer, no sound room or special sound treatment, just plug them in and start playing...so have no illusions, it's far from a professional setup.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Is anybody else besides me having trouble getting some of these mp3's to download properly? This most recent one is seriously garbled.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Is anybody else besides me having trouble getting some of these mp3's to download properly? This most recent one is seriously garbled.
Works fine here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search