The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Mic for recording electric guitar?
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
I've been digging the Audix i5 a lot on cabs. It seems to have more bite than the SM57. For me though, I can't ever seem to get a great electric guitar sound out of just one mic. Maybe that's because I always wind up needing a different sound in the final mix than what I think I will need when I'm tracking. So my preferred method has been to put the i5 up on the grill and drop a Nady RSM-5 or an Oktava MK219 about 3-6 feet back depending on weather I want a meaty tone (Nady) or a more sparkly tone (Oktava). I'm sure an MD 421 and a Royer 121 or Neumann U67 would be better, but this is low end, right?

I place the i5 first (usually just off the dust cap, but wherever it sounds best) and then add hook up the second mic (RSM-5 or MK219) and move it back and forth in front of the cabinet to capture more room sound. As you move it, you'll hear the phasing effects of the two mics, so you just stop it where the phasing fattens up the sound without making it muddy. Unless both mics are the exact same distance from the source, you'll have phase issues, but if you are smart, you can use that to your advantage! Use the distance between the two mics like an EQ knob! A looping pedal and some isolation headphones make this easier if you are by yourself.

Never tried the i5 with a ribbon a few feet back, thanks for the idea! Now to go decide on a new ribbon mic! heh
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Maniac

SM57 for all, but then better is the Beyer M201 that you can listen with Maiden, Dream Theater etc.
The M201 is like a SM57 but well done. I use it a lot with snare too. More bass attack and better response than the SM57.

Distorted: M160, AT4047. Depends what you want.
M160 cancell the harsh, adds a amazing grain. Jimi Hendrix

Metal, blues: Beyer M88. This is the greatest mic ever made to add body in the best way. IMO.
Fat, clean, big. A bit scooped mids that help to get a fatter and bigger sound.
Incredible.

There are other guitar mics. I use these.

Samples:

Single pickup (Super3 bridge)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbBnIV5spTg

Acoustic Alhambra Auditorio 2 with M201
Electric for choruses and solo Jackson Super3 humbucker with M160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdjrHWRZuz4
M201 in acoustic sounds vintage, but very vintage. I love it!

For electric I use this preamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpCfmBE-oeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0cnIXPQbk
Old 15th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGeek View Post
Hey Guys. I'm new to this forum. First off let me say hi to my fellow slutz. Now to my question: I have a small home studio and I will be recording electric guitar in a few days. I only have one mic (AKG 414). Will this be sufficient to mic a guitar cab? I've been told that a SM57 is the standard for that kind of thing. Is there any diss-advantage to using a condensor? Thanks for any advice.
I like using one Ribbon mic and one SM57. The Royer 121 is my go to ribbon mic for recording electric guitars in combo with an sm57

The 2 recorded guitar tracks when combined from each mic will make an awesome sounding guitar, if placed correctly and if the room is good for recording.

CJ
Old 15th October 2016
Gear Maniac

If you can find one...

An EV PL9

Been using it since the 80s

Pair that with a Lewilson 247c set back a few feet..

Untouchable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search