The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Non-hyped LDC or Dynamic for Vox/Gtr/Piano???
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Question Non-hyped LDC or Dynamic for Vox/Gtr/Piano???

The subject says it all. My MXL V67g (bought in May) is farking broken already. I don't know how I'm going to get it fixed.

I have a non-baritone male voice, and my Studio Projects C1 makes it sound like I'm gargling pocket change when I sing into it. That said, I was also using the MXL mic as a second mic to record my piano (sounds great in combo with the C1), and also to record occasional acoustic guitar, organ, electric guitar, and bass. So basically, everything the C1 doesn't work for.

So, that said, if I can't get this piece of ****e repaired/replaced, with what should I replace it? Are there any dynamics that can do a piano justice when paired with a good (if bright) LDC? Should I replace it with another LDC like an Oktava 319? (or even a SDC like Oktava MC012?)

Questions, questions. Thanks in advance if anyone has answers. P.S. My realistic budget is less than $250, but I'll say "less than $500" and retain the possibility of a Christmas or birthday miracle. Because miracles can happen, right?

Last edited by s00p3rm4n; 19th July 2005 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Edited for naughty bits.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

ADK Hamburg edition.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Always been really pleased with my Audio Technica AT4047.

I love the sound of this mic. It sounds very smooth and natural to me on vocals and acoustic guitar.

The new price is $550 at big places, you can get them new on Ebay sometimes for around $400, and used they go for around $325.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Head

Thats funny, I (accidentally) stepped on my Marshall V67 about a month ago, half the grille is smashed in. It still works fine though. To answer your question, I suggest you replace it with it. If its been working for you and your pleased with the results, no need to change the equation. Surprisingly good vocal mic for the price imho.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

c414buls off ebay
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Bloom
Thats funny, I (accidentally) stepped on my Marshall V67 about a month ago, half the grille is smashed in. It still works fine though. To answer your question, I suggest you replace it with it. If its been working for you and your pleased with the results, no need to change the equation. Surprisingly good vocal mic for the price imho.
It really is surprisingly good - makes a gorgeous stereo image with the C1 on my baby grand piano at home. Very flattering for the bass strings of it, even though they're fundamentally dead (can't replace them because the whole piano's coming apart - long story). It also works really well on acoustic with my C1 as a far mike.

I think I'll try to get this one fixed... especially since I don't have the cash to immediately replace it.

Thanks for suggestions, guys - I'll look into each of these other mics as well.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use the Behringer B-2Pro a lot. A while back I posted a shootout where it pretty much beat out the Neumann TLM 127, although they were close. You can here it on the song Armageddon Soul and Why on my Blackline page.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I had good results with an AT 3035. Pretty cheap too. The marketing on the ADK Hamburg line sounds very cool though!
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

For now I've done the cheap(er) thing and sent the mic to Marshall to get it repaired or replaced.

In the meantime, I'm still looking around...
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

shure ksm32 is a very clean unhyped mic. just another one u might wanna check out even though it is more on your "christmas miracle" budget. you can never go wrong with a sm57 and then save the rest of your budget for other things or a better mic later on. best of luck with yer searching

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search