The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Best Mixer?
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Head

Talking The Best Mixer?

I am posting this to get both great opinions on your gear as well as some help on what I should invest in.

I currently have PT LE w/ a 002 (Home Studio, Mostly Rock Music). I am considering sell this and getting a new mixer and running some other program such as (Logic,Nuendo,etc.)

I am wondering what you all think on this idea. And most of all I am interested it what everyone is using. I would like a mixer around the same price but with more mic pres, better sounding mic pres, and hopefully some decent built in eqs.

SO WHATS YOUR FAVORITE MIXER

Thanks To Everyone
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Mackie Onyx is a great mixer.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Steve,

How does the sound of the Onyx compare to the Midas Venice?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Different. Midas is more colorful and fat, Onyx is more accurate but has a bit more definition. I'm either going to put a Verona or an Onyx 3280 in my new room. Both will be capable of putting out world class mixes and I won't have to worry about recapping or tech work like I would if I went with a used Neotek or D&R..

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 20th July 2005
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang
Different. Midas is more colorful and fat, Onyx is more accurate but has a bit more definition. I'm either going to put a Verona or an Onyx 3280 in my new room. Both will be capable of putting out world class mixes and I won't have to worry about recapping or tech work like I would if I went with a used Neotek or D&R..

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com

I hear ya Steve. I spent some time on the 3280 this weekend at banjo mart. It is a very solid board and sounds great. We had really been committed to the Midas Venice 320, but the Onyx is making us take another look. We don't really care about the name-games and Mackie flaming, so long as it works right. Those two are close contenders, especially since our desk will have to do double duty as a live FOH and our recording board.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Any additional thoughts you guys have on the Onyx vs. Venice would be much appreciated ?!?! How is the Eq? Anything else?

obviously, the routing on the Onyx series is sooooo much better - If the sound is close enough, I'd rather have the Onyx in my studio. However, I make beats with lots of analog synths and other outboard crap so I need a board with a big bottom. I've been looking at the Midas for keyboard mixing and summing but having only 4 bus and only 4 post fader aux sends has been holding me back...... basically, is the sound really that much better on the Midas?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

if you want color, then yes, the midas is probably better.

if you want clean and routing options aplenty, then go for the onyx.

best bet is to try them both out yourself.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for the info on the ONYX 3280 I checked it out and it looks like a great board. Although I think it is more that I need or have room for. I was looking for something a little smaller (and little cheaper).

I was looking at the new Mackie Onyx 1640 but the issue for recording with these is that every thing except the gain is post firewire so you can't record any of the your EQ's or Outboard effects. The plus is that you get 16 great pre amps for about 1200.00 Any one have suggestions for somthing closer to this price and size?
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Left Hands

SO WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE MIXER

ME! heh
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was looking at the new Mackie Onyx 1640 but the issue for recording with these is that every thing except the gain is post firewire so you can't record any of the your EQ's or Outboard effects.
Yeah, that totally sucks about the direct outs on the Onyx. On the Mackie forum, someone found a tech that will mod the 1640 to put the direct outs after the EQ/Insert (but it is not a mackie approved mod)- the link is here: http://forums.mackie.com/scripts/for...;f=27;t=000059

The post on the mackie forum:
"hi all, THERE IS A MOD AVAILABLE! I found a service center in Dallas that offers a mod for the Onyx small format consoles. The cost to change my 1620 was $295, same price for 1220, the 1640 is $395. The service center does happen to be an authorized Mackie repair station, but they were quick to point out that at this point, this is not an official Mackie sanctioned mod therefore the mod itself is not warranteed, although the mod doe not affect the warranty on the mixer or the firewire card. As for the mod, they gave me a form to fill out to specify which channel to mod or ignore, and whether the channel should be changed to "post eq-pre fader" or "post fader". If you're interested contact Technical Services-John Eldridge. Phone is 972-421-4230, his email is "[email protected]". Hope that's helpful!
"

If you can wait, I would think that Mackie will release an updated version of the 1640 at some point in the future (but I have no reason of knowing that except for that many people have posted negatively about the routing). The large format Onyx does has switchable direct outs (but you have to open up the board and change some jumpers or something.) For a board in this price range, it probably will be worth checking on modding 1640 based on the positive feedback about the preamps/eq. I was thinking of doing this myself, but I am first going to check out the Midas.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

Yeah I will definitly check look into modding the 1640. I have heard great things about the sound of both the pres and eq's. I will be using is for mostly tracking/mixing so it would be great to have the option of eqing to tape if I wanted to. Would this mod. allow you us the Eq's during mixing?

What Midas are you looking into? Whats the model # and price?

Thanks Again!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
this mod. allow you us the Eq's during mixing?
Wouldn't be a very good mod if it didn't, but I'm not sure - I just read out about the mod Mackie forum, I can't vouch for it - don't know anyone who has had it done.
Quote:

What Midas are you looking into? Whats the model # and price?
Thanks Again!
http://www.midas-venice.com/

Midas 240 - should be apx. $3500 on the street
-The Mackie is certainly much easier on the wallet!!
Old 20th July 2005

It really depends what you are mixing. I've always liked Hobart and Hamilton Beach, but each mixer is really for different work....

-tINY

Attached Thumbnails
The Best Mixer?-hobart-fp_mi_03.gif   The Best Mixer?-hamilton-beach.gif  
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

@ tINY

Hey tINY, do you use them for ITB or OTB?
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

You've got a good point. I think I might have to with the Hobart. I mean a Mackie board isn't going to help you bake a cake.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmnoise
Hey tINY, do you use them for ITB or OTB?
Out of The Bar, I don't like (the) mixing In The Bar, although it is more convenient.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Head

I contacted the person that "platypus" gave me the info for on the mackie Onyx mod. I am asking them some specific questions about the mod. options and I will make sure to post what I find out in case anyone else is considering the mod's for the new mackies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search