The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode K2 or AKG 414 B-XLII
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Rode K2 or AKG 414 B-XLII

Hi, help deside here:
Would you pick the Rode K2 or the new AKG 414 XLII as your primary vocal mic, They are both on the same price range (+-700$) and usualy averyone says something positive about them.
The use: mostly for vocals (male and female), some acoustic guitars etc.
What do you say? other options?
Thank you..
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Head

Cant comment on the Rode but I have used the 414 (the TL II and the B ULS models). They work pretty nicely on vocals but I wouldnt say that is their strongest point. They are great for drum overheads or room mics. I have used them a few times on acoustic with pretty good results. Used it once to mic a guitar amp and didnt much care for it. There are so many different versions it can get confusing, but I know some of them go are going for around only $500 used, so you might want to consider that and save some money. If you do get the H-100 shockmount. Theres another one out there thats not very good.

I would have no qualms about having it as my main vocal mic (and I do!), but to me its worth it more for the versatility of what it can do. The K2 may be better at vocals, on particular singers or particular styles.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

new 414

Thank you...
any suggestions? I'm thinking 700$ cause the new 414 BXLII is well.. too new to buy used
Old 19th July 2005
I would definitely choose the 414 as well. Haven't used the K2 myself but have disliked other Rode mics.

I have had great results using a 414B-ULS on vocals tend to think of it as very flexible all rounder as opposed to a go-to vocal mic.

In the same price range certain people might point you toward the TLM103. Not sure I would though...
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thank you... for me the TLM103 is a big no no.. Ive tried it, not impresed at all.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I defintatley recommend the AKG. I have a 414B-ULS and use it for both acoustic guitar and vocals with good results. It seems to work better for the acoustic guitar rather than vocals though. Maybe check out the XL II or for your price range a used TL-II. Someone tried to get me to buy the TLM103 and I'm so glad I didn't. With all the polar patterns, the 414 is a real workhorse.

I am not familiar with the K2, but in general don't like Rode mics. They are good as an entry level mic but for a mid level mic I'm not sure they can beat AKG.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Personally, I would go with the AKG (I own one myself). I have heard and used both. The Rode is good, especially for the money, but for me I noticed a world of difference between the sonic quality of the two (the AKG being the better of the two). For me, Rode's tend to be a little bit "brittle" on the top end, and the AKG a smoother sound with better transient response. Plus, the AKG is a great all purpose mic (overheads, room, some acoustic gtrs). Just my two cents.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search