The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Iso Box
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

Iso Box

Hey there,

I'm recording some tracks at home, but I want to record the guitars really loud without pissing of everybody in my neighborhood, I'm used to recording loud in our main studio that is soundproofed so well that I'm not bothering anybody.
Does anybody know of any good Iso Boxes out there? maybe some links to websites or suggestions how to built one myself?

Thanks!
MarOeN
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

try recording at a super LOW volume. if it has seperate gain/master volume channels you will be ok. if it is like a bassman and doesnt have a "gain" channel, record direct, then reamp when you have access to the studio.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I use the Randall Iso Box. I am happy with it.
Old 18th July 2005

If you need the loudness for your own monitoring, use a POD or rockman into closed headphones. If you are looking for the tone, go with the re-amp.

The iso boxes are going to change the tone of the speakers. This may be a good thing, or not.

-tINY

Old 19th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhmos
I use the Randall Iso Box. I am happy with it.
X2 thumbsup
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

hey, everybody's x,
may I ask what is your favourite microphone with the Randall Iso Box?
Old 19th July 2005
I use a 57 and a 421

I mounted another gooseneck inside it and I line them up together

edit: I also got some nice results with an at4040, I still feel weird about using an LDC on distorted guitars (I don't know why) sounded great though
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadrum
try recording at a super LOW volume. if it has seperate gain/master volume channels you will be ok. if it is like a bassman and doesnt have a "gain" channel, record direct, then reamp when you have access to the studio.

I hate doing this as both a guitar player and engineer. Low volumes sound like crud on any valve amp, whether it be 5 watts or 100 watts regardless if the amp has a master volume or not. Valve amps great overdrive tone comes from pushing the output tubes... gotta crank it to do that. Otherwise you are left with only fuzzy preamp overdrive.

Reamping kills the vibe unless you stem the guitar signal out to both your DAW/recorder and your amp whilst recording the DI signal. This way your guitar and your playing is still effected by the guitar amp - both feedback and sustain as well as your playing articulation. It results in a much more natural recording once you reamp it because the original recorded DI signal has the attibutes that are naturally caused by the amp...

Either way... you need loud volumes.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks Ziggy, my thoughts are the same,..
Any links to Iso boxes? the randall one or others?
Old 19th July 2005
Like anything on Gearslutz.com try a search please!

There is a LOT of iso box info on this site if you look carefully enough..

Please add to an existing thread..

Jules
Gearslutz.com admin
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Hello Jules,

I tried the search but most of what comes up is iso boxes for your computer,
Thanks for the tip anyway

MarOeN

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search