The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Symetrix 501 Peak RMS Compressor/ Limiter
Old 18th July 2005
Gear interested

Symetrix 501 Peak RMS Compressor/ Limiter

hello there nice people..
this is regarding the product at the subject..

"Symetrix 501 Peak RMS Compressor/ Limiter"

any info on how good/bad is this thing?

thanks.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Pretty darn good for a 20 year old design that cost <$500 new. Especially nice for electric bass. You can usually find them on eBay for around $100.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Head

It was my first hardware compressor. I used it for everything at the time. Didnt like it much on vocals or acoustic guitar, my RNC beats it out easily in those applications if that says anything. Its really cool on drums especially drum OHs/room. Its okay on rock bass too. For less than $100 its worth having in your rack, but not as a go-to, more of a "special circumstances" comp.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear interested

thanks guys for the infos.
actually i saw one in ebay that costs £25 (nobody bid it)..
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Post It works

I used it at the college radio station I worked for. We replaced it with a dbx 16x. It's certainly not a bad unit. I think the US price mentioned would be acceptable.
Old 19th July 2005
Joel Hamilton at trainwreck in Brooklyn, raves about them and his work is exceptional
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
Joel Hamilton at trainwreck in Brooklyn, raves about them and his work is exceptional
His zeal for it (over at TapeOp) is one of the things that made me want to get one. For the price I figured its worth checking out.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear maniac

I have two of these, and I use them all the time. otally fun, cheap compressor.
My studio is actually called "studio G Brooklyn" and you can check out the gear list via my site below. That is my personal site...

Anyway:

The 501 is a really fun box, that I used to use before distressors came out for room mic distortion and limiting. They can do pretty insane amounts of limiting, and the diode clip on the output is awesome as well. For destruction, I love them. They are serviceable as a "regular compressor."

For the money? yes please.
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Joel how do you use the diode clipping feature? pad on the output and crank the output gain?

never knew about this "feature"

PS I like my 501s a lot on bass, and have used the limiter to good effect on drum room mics, soft synths. each of the three I have, with different colored face plates, has a different tonal response, but similar compression characteristics.
Old 23rd February 2015
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Joel how do you use the diode clipping feature? pad on the output and crank the output gain?

never knew about this "feature"

PS I like my 501s a lot on bass, and have used the limiter to good effect on drum room mics, soft synths. each of the three I have, with different colored face plates, has a different tonal response, but similar compression characteristics.
I've never tried diode clipping trick with my 501s. Anyone else doing it? I'll have to try it one of these days.
Old 23rd February 2015
had one back in the day, it lived on the insert point for Bass DI. To my ears, that is what it excelled at. worth it for $100. my 2 cents
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

501 is a really great compressor for crushing rooms. I have a dynamite & a pair of Levelors, 9 times out of 10 the 501 gets more useable results.
Old 24th February 2015
they used the Valley People EGC101 gain cell in them which was the first virtually "distortion free" VCA and were used a lot in console designs at the time as well. I have 4 Harrison modules in my 2824 that have the same gain cell, the other channels use a DBX 202 gold can VCA and you can hear a difference between them especially when pushed.
Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy View Post
they used the Valley People EGC101 gain cell in them which was the first virtually "distortion free" VCA and were used a lot in console designs at the time as well. I have 4 Harrison modules in my 2824 that have the same gain cell, the other channels use a DBX 202 gold can VCA and you can hear a difference between them especially when pushed.

Good to know. I have a suped up 522 with the silver Valley People toggle switch. Do they share the same heritage? I always use it for cleaner stuff. Never really tried to push it before. I might give it a whirl.
Old 13th May 2015
Here for the gear

I just had a 501 get buzzy on me. It is still working it just generating a hum. Any idea who could fix it or if it would be worth it. I was about to toss it until I read this thread.

Fil
Old 14th May 2015
Alternative view: I think they are boring, vanilla crap.
Old 14th May 2015
for bass guitar, and sometimes in FX loop of guitar amp
Never liked it for vocals tbh
Great for live work, useful for some studio stuff

I kept mine for over 20 years, just sold it on eBAY for about $100 simply because I have hoarded too much stuff over the years and I'm moving soon.
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otoole View Post
I just had a 501 get buzzy on me. It is still working it just generating a hum. Any idea who could fix it or if it would be worth it. I was about to toss it until I read this thread.

Fil
Condor electronics fixed mine, one of the pots had an issue
BRANDS WE SERVICE
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search