The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
small used mixer with good sound
Old 17th July 2005
small used mixer with good sound

what desks do u recommend? 80s and 90s consoles like soundtracs and soundcraft are cheap as chips, what about 70s allen and heaths? or old line mixers, maybe even valve ones?

i need 10-24 channels and 3 auxs.. eq nice bonus but not necessary

can be gritty sounding as long as its in a good way, wont use for recording just mixing /routing fx. hiphop, reggae, rnb, house, dnb. majority of EQ will probably take place inside the sequencer, the desk used more for drums, bass, overdrive, coloration and patching in analog comps, reverbs and delays

sonically i like new hiphop & rnb, 70s and 80s dancehall, dub and reggae, 70s and early 80s soul, boogie and disco

cheers
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Tell ya what...

The little Soundcraft Sprirt LX7 mixers sound rather nice and they're cheap.

Direct outs, great E.Q., good gain stages, rather quiet.

YMMV
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

I like the Sony MXP-390. You can find them on ebay for $250-650

It's 4 mono, 8 stereo. FX returns, 4 auxes, 4 bus, flexible monitoring matrix. You can C/R monitor the sends, busses, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
small used mixer with good sound-mxp390top.jpg  
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker

It's 4 mono, 8 stereo. FX returns, 4 auxes, 4 bus, flexible monitoring matrix. You can C/R monitor the sends, busses, etc.
For this guy's gig, probably better.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

soundcraft series 500 if you can get em
great desks, nice pres, great british eq, pitty they are so damn heavy
we even have a 32ch for sale
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=sleepwalker]I like the Sony MXP-390. You can find them on ebay for $250-650

250-600?

http://search.ebay.com/Sony-MXP-390_...SonyQ20MXP-390

these guys didnt get the memo!?!?!

reminds me of those JBL Urei 7110's that can be found on ebay for 150 but i always seem to miss out on da*%nit
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnerabb
Tell ya what...

The little Soundcraft Sprirt LX7 mixers sound rather nice and they're cheap.

Direct outs, great E.Q., good gain stages, rather quiet.

YMMV
I agree that the Soundcraft Spirit mixers have a nice sound, and a great EQ - but one of the problems with the LX7 (for this situation) is the lack of individual phase reverse for each channel.

Dharma One, you may find this a problem for recording a mixing a live drum set. I used this desk in a theatre, when 2 performers with radio mics get together, I always used to have phase problems and sadly, the global phase reverse cannot do anything with this problem. It made this desk really annoying to work with.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

just got the allen & heath mix wiz 16:2 and it rocks.

it is the one with no effects, just nice pres and some brit eq.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadrum

I have one of those, too. Planning on using it for a tracking desk, this winter, on the island.

Are the pres as good as the hype?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Everytime a MXP-390 sells for $400, there's another for $1200. I've purchased 3 on ebay. $400, 500, and 550.

I've seen them sell for as low as $250, but I've only seen one go that low. I've never seen one sell for over $650. I don't know why people keep wasting their money listing them at $1500.

[QUOTE=silverdisk]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker

250-600?

http://search.ebay.com/Sony-MXP-390_...SonyQ20MXP-390

these guys didnt get the memo!?!?!

reminds me of those JBL Urei 7110's that can be found on ebay for 150 but i always seem to miss out on da*%nit
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadrum

you are missing out the series 2 is better and the series 3 rock even more

Quote:
Are the pres as good as the hype?
cant comment on the origional series directly as havnt used it in awhile, but the series 2 pres are very nice but overall the desk is abit noisy. series 3 is much quieter and the individual phantom power on a small format desk is wonderfull. we replaced a mackie 1604vlz pro in a venue with a wizard 16:2DX (series 2) and it made a world of difference although a little noiser, if people can use a mackie for tracking with a decent result then ull love the wizzard
Old 20th July 2005
I know the sony´s are too expensive right now on ebay... sux.
What about the Tascam M312? Have anyone heard it? I want a mixer just to sum and EQ... or use the pre-amps to one track or another...
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Manual for MXP-390 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post

Sleepwalker ? have you got an MXP-390 ? and.........have you got a manual ? if so, please could you do me a copy ?? I've just got one of these mixers, and yes, it doesn't have a manual ! Maybe we can come to "some arrangement"

Take care !

Tony.
Old 21st June 2007
Gear Maniac

Umm in the UK look strongly at Sound Craft and Allen & Heath. These brands are cheaper comparabley to other imported options with in the UK. Soundcraft M8s (ghost preamps) are 229 Pounds after VAT, (750$ in the states) and considered better than most other pro sumer offerings in that price range offered in the states such as mackie. Allen heath in the UK is about the same price as the U.S.A version, but the U.S.A products sell for more with in the UK, so their stil a better option.

Smart Consumers buy on the margin. Always way oppurtunity costs which are different in each country.
Old 21st June 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma one View Post
can be gritty sounding
I like the studiomaster 'into' series for gritty, mine's only got two sends, but post fader direct outs on every channel. Noisy, but in a good way, like you say. Soundworkshop is also nice and not too terribly expensive for some of their small format units. Soundcraft's 400 series fits this description too.
Old 22nd June 2007

The early TAC scopions sound good - don't know about the prospects on finding one in Jolly England, though.

-tINY

Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

Check out my myspace link...

it was all done on the A&H mixwizard 16:2... including all the guitar and vocal delays/reverbs.

I love that board and it's got great saturation for a small format console.

For the price, it's probably the best in it's range.

J.
Old 5th July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
Check out my myspace link...

it was all done on the A&H mixwizard 16:2... including all the guitar and vocal delays/reverbs.

I love that board and it's got great saturation for a small format console.

For the price, it's probably the best in it's range.

J.

Hi Jason,

First of all, congrats on the band and sound. Very solid! I've heard some stuff from "majors" on itunes that didn't sound half as good.

I am looking for a small but very good sounding mixer. I own a Soundcraft Ghost but I don't have the space... Would a Mixwiz 14:4 be as good (or better)? Is the new series any good?

When you say you did everything on this board, you mean tracking of all instruments but not mixing right?

Thanks for your help...and can I have Mel's number?
Old 7th July 2007
Lives for gear

We just bought the Toft ATB24

and we will never get rid of the A&H mixwiz.

It's very british sounding.

It has tons of character/color to it but can easliy be overdone.. so one has to watch how hard you drive it.

ps: We didn't track through it... just mixed through it for summing and additional eq's as well as all the effects you hear on the guitars/solos/vocals

J.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search