The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mxl v87
Old 19th March 2009
Mxl v87

MXL has released the V87. It has a large body style and the same capsule as the Genesis. Has anyone heard this mic? I'm hoping that is may been in the same sonic range as the ST77.
Old 19th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Also very interested in the sonic characteristics of this mic.
VO Mic Test
Old 20th March 2009
Here for the gear

I have both...

The V87 is similar to a Sterling ST77 but with less lows. The low mids are a little more pronounced than the ST77 and so it sounds a little smaller.

Compared to the Genesis, there is not much to compare as they are so different. The Genesis has less ultra high air, but the tube saturates the 2-4K mids that cut through. The lows on the Genesis are a little fatter, again because of the tube. I feel that the V87 is better suited for Bass guitar cabinet, or overheads or for acoustic midrange instruments for eg Dobro, mandolin.
The vocal mics that are really stellar from MXL are the Genesis in first place, then the V67i TUBE, then the V67G. Only my opinion though!

What sort of vocal character are you looking for?

Hope this helps..

P
Old 20th March 2009
Lives for gear

its been an interesting few weeks messing with mxl mics..
i always hated them. felt they were just some cheap mics using the bling factor to sell.

i recently purchased a Genesis. flat out amazing sounding mic for $600... i'd be willing to pay much more for it and it looks great.
I've had a chance to mess with a v87... of course the name and design ppl would assume they tried to clone a u87. not really the case. the mic does sound good, but sounds better through thick pres. through something like a grace or p-solo its thin imo. sounds like most chinese mics a few years ago..(nady comes to mind)

through a api7600 it punched through a mix. sounded really good with instruments and a bass cabinet (my new fav bass cab mic is the cad 7000 ribbon though)
its ok for vocals but doesnt come close to the genesis.

the v89 was great on ac.guitar.
havent messed with the new V69XM yet

im use to using much higher NAMED mics and the new mxl hold their own. you can easily make great records with them
Old 20th March 2009
I'm recording a friend of mine at the moment (he raps and does a little singing). And for his vocals I like the v67G and GT55, but I'm looking for something that with a bigger sound, I tried a ST77 out on his voice and we both really like it (This was at Guitar Center). However, I don't want to spend $500 on the ST77 at the moment and I was hoping that v87 would give me that same vibe. I am really looking for something like ST77 with a much lower price tag because if I'm going to spend $500 plus on a new mic I will just get a Mojave MA-201fet.
Old 20th March 2009
Lives for gear

maybe a the new v69..
other than that Genesis or get the mojave...
Old 16th May 2009
Gear Nut

Anyone else have the chance to try out the V87? Especially on acoustic guitars? Or is there another one in the $2-300.00 price range worth looking at? I want a few more opinions before I decide on one of the MXL mics. I am looking to get something that does not over hype the highs, but maybe a little rise.
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

dont know about the v87, but v67g is a great mic
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

Gotta give a shout-out to the MXL 960 here. This is a very nice mic stock (usually $150-200 at MF), and it can be improved considerably with a simple tube-swap -- I prefer a NOS Mullard CV4024 (12at7wa). If you want to go a bit farther, the Peluso cek-89s is a basically a drop-in mod... all you have to do is re-connect the wires.

Do all this, and you've got a kickin' mic. But, as I said, it is pretty darn good stock.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Nut

Anyone here have any mp3's to post of using the V87? Maybe even a quick shoot out of another mic or mics?
Old 4th October 2010
Gear Nut

RESURRECTION OF AN OLD THREAD, I KNOW.

MXL posted some clips on youtube of many of their mics and their v87 is the one I like the most, on both male and female vocals. Anybody else own this one, it's been 18 months since the last post. It would be great if someone would know how it compares to their new 2003a, maybe Michael???

Anyhow, MXL is going to come up with vocal samples of their other mics in a couple of months, can't wait to hear the 2003a.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

10 years late, necro reply!

I'm curious about how well this mic has aged over time. There's a lot of love for the V67g. But I've not even noticed this mic until today. The "87" caught my eye. Anyone use this V87 regularly?
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

It's a nice sounding microphone. It was MXL's effectively non-heralded attempt, at a low cost U87 Clone.
IMHO as a vocal mic, it sounds best on a smooth toned singer.

As the standard MXL capsule used, is highly "present"-but not quite "harsh" to my ear.
The circuit used is very good, and it's a very low self noise mic.

I gave mine away as a gift, to one of my best friends to use. (as I have other vocal mics too)
A step up IMHO as an all rounder, would be to go for the AA versions of the U87....
And the "87-ish" 3U Audio Warbler MKI, along with the Roswell Mini K87.

This would be my "under $400" short list, for U87-ish microphones.
Chris
Old 5th August 2020
Thanks chessparov. I have been wondering which model of the Warbler is supposed to be the U87 clone. The model naming scheme of those mics are a little complicated.

I still haven't tried the MXL V87 but I ended up buying a ST77 for $99. It worked for a few male vocalist with deep baritone voices but in general I find this mic to thin and sibilant (not harsh). I'm thinking about swapping out the capsule with a RK47 or something similar.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Sure thing. It's the Warbler MKI and MKID (multi-pattern). IMHO keep the ST77 and get the Warbler... Rather than bothering to mod the ST77.

If anything, sell the ST77 to get a Warbler.
Chris
P.S. On me (a siblilant vocalist), one of the "safest" Warblers would be the K47 (47-ish) based-the MKII.
Even flatter response, than the MKI.
Old 4 weeks ago
I ended up selling the ST77. I'm going to get a Warbler MKI and then a MKII if I like the results. I don't have much use for anymore multi-pattern mics. I have 3 CAD M179s and a pair of Behringer B2s . Their not always the best on vocals (always usable though) but IMHO some of the best general purpose mics you can find for the price.

Back to the original purpose of the post
I'm still curious about MXL V87. Maybe I will find a used one really cheap one day.
๐Ÿ“ Reply