The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TL Audio 5051 or SPL Channel One?
Old 16th July 2005
Here for the gear

TL Audio 5051 or SPL Channel One?

I have spent hours, days, weeks, trying to figure out which voicestrip to get for use on voiceovers with a tlm103. I have finally narrowed it down to two.

Which would you choose and why? Please don't tell me they are both crap, well, unless they are...

TL Audio 5051 -- or -- SPL Channel One

One thousands thanks to anyone who can help me solve this dilemma.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Addict

I ´ve been using the TLA in combination with a TLM103 for quite a while now and gotta say that they make a good pair. Not high end, but somehow they fit together, as the aggressive freq curve gets tamed a bit by the mid presence of the TLA.

The SPL is a bit more open sounding and I´d say the preamp itself is one step above the TLA in terms of quality.

About the 5051 I like to use it as DI. The compressor and EQ are good for usage with Bass and Guitar.

Kind regards,
Bill
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

A big vote for the Channel ONE. I used to work with both, but the channel one is way more flexible and better sounding, just make sure you get the transformer option.

The TLA sounds very strange although the eq is sometimes nice. The TLA PRe is an FX device and no pre (very strange colour).

ALEX
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Between those two, the SPL is clearly the better choice imo.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The TLA PRe is an FX device and no pre (very strange colour).
agree
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I wouldn't go near a TLA Ivory for a voice-over pre-amp, the 5001 I tried was thin and coloured in an unpleasant way. Even a little Mackie 1202VLZ has much better pre's. Not tried the SPL stuff but read good things.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

Actually I´ve done some pleasing vocal recordings a few years ago with an Ivory 5051 (example attached). You can get good results, but you´ll get better results with a SPL. Or a Great River heh

Regards,
Bill
Attached Files

Phenomenon (short).mp3 (2.58 MB, 1211 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search