The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low-budget outboard reverb..
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Low-budget outboard reverb..

or 'reverbs that used to be expensive but aren't anymore'..

Yamaha Pro-R3
Yamaha Rev-7
Korg DRV3000

Which would you choose and why? I can get my choice of these for pretty much dirt cheap - trying to decide.
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Dude for 400-500 USD, one can have the Lexicon PCM70.
I bought the PCM91 because of it's AES/EBU I/O's and noticed after spending beaucoup denero that it sounded thinner, but still nice.
In the last 8 years Analog I/O's have really gained some quality and you'd be shocked at how FAT and warm the 70 sounds.
It just wraps itself around audio like no other verb I have ever used.
And I have a nice collection.
Even just putting a splash on a track to add a little depth in a mix warms up the digital content really nice.
The REV 7 is a great reverb though, but it sounds like an SPX90 still, which can be had for 100-150 these days.
IMHO a virtual studio can get a step up in sound quality w/ 2 or 3 Analog hardware reverbs, as long as the converters are decent.
For a good ADAT reverb the unknown Alesis Q20 is good too.
Just adding hardware compressors and reverbs, or a decent analog summing unit to a virtual mix makes a huge difference.
Otherwise, your basic in the box mix sounds like every kid on the block's PSP.

Take any analog reverb and A/B it next to some static IR that is stock with every app these days, and if you can hear the difference, you already have a big jump up on the boxed mixes that we are plagued by.
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Pro-R3, by far. It is a more modern (not 80s) Yamaha, Clearmountain still uses his for long verbs. I would recommend that you try the Roland SRV-330 and the SRV-3030(24 bit), they are excellent reverbs and do the more modern ER room verb sounds very well. They are also extremely affordable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Yamaha Rev-5 beats up pretty bad on the Rev-7...the SPX-90 is essentially just the little brother to the Rev-5. Either one excels at short room sounds...the long reverbs sounds aren't fabulous, but they'll work okay at low levels. The Rev-5 and SPX-90 are worth it for the short reverbs alone though.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I went back to a console and needed some outboard I went with,

PCM70 $600
Sony R7 $300
Yamaha SPX990 $200
Klark Teknik DN780 $700
Orban 111b $400

All great boxes that cost a fortune when new, it's amazing the great digital reverbs you can get for very little money.

Don't forget the magic of delays, I went with

Symetrix 606 $300
Bel BD80 $300
Gear Guru

Also Kurzweil Rumour
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris69 View Post
This is no joke. I have two. One that works and another in the shop. Two is better so that when one craps out, you can send the other in for repair work. I had a Kurzweil Rumor and I like the verbs better on this Behringer. Go figure. I guess they must have ripped Lexicon's high end algos off (not saying it's a lexicon....easy now lexi lovers!! .
Will
Old 19th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the heads-up on that cheapie Behringer.. for that much $$ - worth trying out!

FWIW - I can get any of those three listed for around $100.. so probably worth it to get at least one.

I am moving back to a console - at least some type of hybrid setup so i can use plugs AND outboard. I did keep a few units from before - still have a DP/4 and a Korg A2 (cool delays) that I picked up recently for cheap.

A Rumour is also on my short list.. but was just thinking that for $100 - snagging a ProR3 or DRV would be worth it.
Old 24th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
When I went back to a console and needed some outboard I went with,

PCM70 $600
Sony R7 $300
Yamaha SPX990 $200
Klark Teknik DN780 $700
Orban 111b $400

All great boxes that cost a fortune when new, it's amazing the great digital reverbs you can get for very little money.

Don't forget the magic of delays, I went with

Symetrix 606 $300
Bel BD80 $300
I saw two yamaha for sale one SPX-90 a one spx-90II, around 200$ each.
How are those, do you know?

I also saw:
- midiverb III for 50$, for some reason I feel like this would cut through a mix pretty good on snare...
- lexicon mpx100 for 50$
- lexicon lxp-1 and lxp-5 with the MRC-100 controller (sratchy input pots...) all three for 325$

All prices are CAD$.

I'm slowly going otb and I don't have much money right now but I gues those kind of deal can be found pretty often.
What do you think about those?

My goal would be to build a cheap but good reverb and comp collection.
Thanks
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
last week i saw a person using an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail as an outboard reverb. it certainly wouldnt be for everything but it was a really cool flavor for the money.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theartofshreddin View Post
last week i saw a person using an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail as an outboard reverb. it certainly wouldnt be for everything but it was a really cool flavor for the money.
could be interesting
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had an old Tascam RS-20 rack spring reverb unit lying around for a while now which I haven't actually hooked up. I've heard good things about it, but I mix totally ITB and its only got an on/off switch, no controls whatsoever so its of limited use to me currently. Also, its just got unbalanced rca jacks, so that's also a bit weird for my set up. But one of these days I'll have to hook it up and see how it sounds...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
those are all good units. the yam r5 is very nice. only verbs with long tails that I LOVE are nice lexis. best cheap verb I ever got is my ibanez sdr-1000 (which is a sony 201, it's made by sony, same thing exactly but the sony version has a couple more algos, nothing can't live without though).

this thing has unbelievable algos. long, warm, short dark, bright if needed, sitting great in the mix, nothing nasty about it at all, nothing metalic, OMG this is a sleeper.

also have a lexi alex. great for a couple of things. ok for some others. doesn't do bright well, but does vocal plate well (gold plate).

this is for my cheap home studio. when I finally get one more home studio unit it will be one of the better lexis.

I had a berry 2496 vverb for a long time - LOVE that thing. just sold it... don't ask, I get bored I guess. that's a total sleeper as well as others have said. anyone who disses the berry unit is either comparing it to $3000 devices (which is just stupid) or crapping on berry for the sake of it.

but I'll tell ya - the berry and this ibanez/sony box are soooooooooo close to the big boys, even in long tails.... and all told my home studio reverbs have cost around $400 for all units (a yammy, berry, ibanez and lexi). all great sounding at something useful. each one on a different aux in my board.

oh yes, the ibanez/sony is true stereo as well (not that I can use that often since I put it on a mono aux send more often than not, but still, for classical piano recordings it's unbelievable in true stereo for example).

cheers,
Don
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lexicon's MX100 is kinda the bottom of the line for Lexicon...it's okay, but not wonderful. Lexicon starts to get really usable at the MX300, which is more like $300. I've found that most hardware reverbs worth using start around there, and are really more like $400-$600.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A lot of GREAT choices in the first few posts on this thread...

Will add:

Dynacord DRP-20
Roland srv-330 (not 3030)

(also this ibanez one i forget the number for...but it's the predecessor to the Sony R7)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not really a reverb unit but did anybody try the TC G major?
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A Lexicon MPX-1 can be found for $300-$400. I find it's a pretty decent unit.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Also Kurzweil Rumour
This is by far the best choice, and I dont think its even close.

The Rumour blows away boxes costing 3x as much.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It has one sound but its a great sound. Why not try out a used Demeter RV-1 or someone else's stereo plate offering.

Honestly its more useful to me than any digital reverb because it doesn't sit on top of the mix and can blend amazingly on the quiet.

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
It has one sound but its a great sound. Why not try out a used Demeter RV-1 or someone else's stereo plate offering.

Honestly its more useful to me than any digital reverb because it doesn't sit on top of the mix and can blend amazingly on the quiet.

Russell
How much $ are those?
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
How much $ are those?
I payed a little under 400 used for mine. You see them sometimes. New unfortunately they're around 700!

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
I payed a little under 400 used for mine. You see them sometimes. New unfortunately they're around 700!

Russell
ok thanks

do you have some samples?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I come from the live sound end of things. We have a Klark 780 at the main venue that I work at. Best drum verb I've ever heard. I have yet to get a non-great sound of it.

The SPX990 is another standard in live sound. Easy to use, good sound. $200 seems a bit low though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TC. I'm not a big fan of their verbs, but the M One and M 3000 are the most common effect units I see.

The Yamaha ProR3 is one I've been wanting to get my hands on. On paper, it looks like a GREAT unit.

The Ibanez/Sony units were quite interesting. They were ahead of their time.

Any of Alesis or lower line Lexicon or TC stuff is unusable to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Strick-9 View Post

Quadraverb II and Wedge are USABLE. But a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread destroys them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Strick-9 View Post
I come from the live sound end of things. We have a Klark 780 at the main venue that I work at. Best drum verb I've ever heard. I have yet to get a non-great sound of it.

The SPX990 is another standard in live sound. Easy to use, good sound. $200 seems a bit low though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TC. I'm not a big fan of their verbs, but the M One and M 3000 are the most common effect units I see.

The Yamaha ProR3 is one I've been wanting to get my hands on. On paper, it looks like a GREAT unit.

The Ibanez/Sony units were quite interesting. They were ahead of their time.

TCs are great live, they are bright and grainy, and cut through well in a room. For those same reasons, they are not really great in the studio. They don't sit near as well in the track as smoother, warmer units. I used to have a pair of M5000s with the remote live for years, loved the Ambience program for vocals and other things. I also had a 300L that was rarely used live, I would love to have it now for the studio. The 990 is fine for a few things in the studio.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I own a Lexicon Reflex. After tweaking some of the presets and applying some eq this unit is very usable. Most of the time I use the plates.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I just got a MPX100 for 50$ cad, I'll let you know what I think about it as soon as my setup is done (I'm soldering my new patchbays right now)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TC electronics --- 'round $75-150 used ....spdif and true stereo engines
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rev 5 is hissy, but nicccce
πŸ“ Reply