The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low-budget outboard reverb..
Old 1st July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post

Where did you find ANY LXP series for $25-$50? I want in on somma dat action!

fb
Sold ours a few months back ... a studio cross town. Our system only works with digital I/O .. so had to dump all our analog connecting effect racks.
Old 1st July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Is it a TRUE dual engine like their new 300 series ? TC are set up for separate /mono effects L/R. Our PCM 70 lacked that ...
It's dual chip as far as I remember. One dedicated for reverb alone, and one dedicated for time based effects, delay, chorus, etc, and up to four at a time.

Lexicon MPX-1 - Dual Engine Multi Effects Processor MPX1 B&H

Quote:
The MPX 1 multi-effects processor does what its description implies. When using the best reverb on most single DSP multi-effect processors, additional DSP is simply not available for any other effects. With the MPX 1 Lexicon provides both their own proprietary Lexichip, dedicated to delivering the best Lexicon stereo reverb or ambience, in addition to another processor which can host other digital effects, as many as 4 stereo effects.
LEXICON MPX1: NO COMPROMISE REVERB & EFFECTS

Quote:
the MPX1 employs dual complementary processing architecture - that is, it has two completely independent DSP processors. And Lexicon's proprietary Lexichip is dedicated to delivering world class stereo reverb and ambience algorithms. A separate, fast-math DSP processor is used to create all the other studio quality effects. Meaning the very best stereo reverberation and ambience algorithms are available all the time, and there's plenty of horsepower left for true, "no compromise" pitch shifting, EQ or modulation effects.
You can also download the manual from this specs page at Lexicon:
http://www.lexiconpro.com/en/products/mpx1

In a lot of ways I think this box is superior to a PCM70. I'll probably get strung up for that, but really - Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois used a PCM70 (because that's what was available at the time) so it get's the "cred love" but the MPX1 is a more robust and flexible box. YMMV but for $350 or less you really can't go wrong.
Old 19th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
I probably said this earlier in this thread LoL, but wanted to mention the ibanez SDR-1000 reverb.

it's an exceptional vintage digital reverb box for about $100ish used typically.

was actually made by Sony for ibanez (yes, for anyone who thinks it's only the SDR-1000+ that was made by Sony, it does appear that both the + and the non-plus are by Sony).

anyway, ibanez or sony, it's exceptionally warm and believable and sits great in a mix. for me it's good enough for lead vocals and still better than most plugs. hard to find but ebay or craigslist for one and you never know.

worth as much to me as a v-verb is.

actually, worth as much to me as some quite expensive verbs I get to use at other larger studios. it's all relative, right?
Hey, I have the opportunity to buy an SDR1000+ for a good price (100 euros). I'm looking for some good plates (for vocals), and maybe some good rooms and halls (for synths or vocals). What is the difference between the + version and the non + ? Is the + as good as the first one ?
Old 19th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedActor View Post
Hey, I have the opportunity to buy an SDR1000+ for a good price (100 euros). I'm looking for some good plates (for vocals), and maybe some good rooms and halls (for synths or vocals). What is the difference between the + version and the non + ? Is the + as good as the first one ?
Not even sure about the difference. Mine says + on top but not on the front, so I don't even know which I have. But the thing sounds sweet!

I would just get it! If you don't like it you can always flip it for the same or more.

It is no Lexicon, more dry and woody feel to the tone, and I love mine.
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
The Yamaha Rev-5 beats up pretty bad on the Rev-7...the SPX-90 is essentially just the little brother to the Rev-5. Either one excels at short room sounds...the long reverbs sounds aren't fabulous, but they'll work okay at low levels. The Rev-5 and SPX-90 are worth it for the short reverbs alone though.

Frank
The old rev's are gettin cheap. Just got a rev 5 for about 70 bucks.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lexicon mpx500 go for a song. Sound great too
Old 27th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Not even sure about the difference. Mine says + on top but not on the front, so I don't even know which I have. But the thing sounds sweet!

I would just get it! If you don't like it you can always flip it for the same or more.

It is no Lexicon, more dry and woody feel to the tone, and I love mine.
I finally bought the SDR1000+ I talked about earlier in this thread. I have to thank you Karloff for the tip, because I like it a lot. This unit just sounds so real, in a way that I've never heard before. The plates sound good, you can make them last up to 99 seconds, which is great for ambient.
I think it may be the best sounding reverb I've heard so far, and I have a Midiverb 2, the Lexicon Pcm reverbs (vst) and the Valalha ones.
It's a bit noisy, but it's not a huge issue for me. There's a built-in eq that's useful.
In the past I usually used Sir2 with Emt impulses for lead vocals, but I think I'll now use the plates of the SDR.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
I love cheaper verbs. Many have been mentioned but I will champion the SPX90ii, SRV330 (arguably the best snare verb ever made and I also like to record effected vocals with it directly in chain), Boss Se-70 (think Flaming Lips), Yamaha GEP50 (DI guitar), Midiverb II (Kevin Shields and suprisingly interesting on lead vocals), Quadraverb (the original only and really just for long reverbs, later ones are crap), and the Lexicon LXP-1. The one I haven't seen mentioned that is really cool is the Yamaha FX500. Its my shoegaze guitar secret weapon. I also have a Digitech TSR-24s but I think its the least interesting of the bunch.
Hey, what presets do you usually like/use for lead vocals on the MV2 ?
I know it has been used on lead vocals on the first Stone Roses album, but it was the 5 or 15 seconds preset, which is not what I'm after.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I finally bought the SDR1000+ I talked about earlier in this thread. I have to thank you Karloff for the tip, because I like it a lot. This unit just sounds so real, in a way that I've never heard before. The plates sound good, you can make them last up to 99 seconds, which is great for ambient.
I think it may be the best sounding reverb I've heard so far, and I have a Midiverb 2, the Lexicon Pcm reverbs (vst) and the Valalha ones.
It's a bit noisy, but it's not a huge issue for me. There's a built-in eq that's useful.
In the past I usually used Sir2 with Emt impulses for lead vocals, but I think I'll now use the plates of the SDR.
I am glad. You have good taste, sir.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey, what presets do you usually like/use for lead vocals on the MV2 ?
I know it has been used on lead vocals on the first Stone Roses album, but it was the 5 or 15 seconds preset, which is not what I'm after.
A cool MVII trick is to use it as saturation set on the first little verbs, like around 02, 03 and laying into the input, making it buzz. Pretty specific but in the right context pretty great burn.

Generally I like the under 10 ones for hihats, 90's style, and sometimes the 20 somethings for swimmy (especially if you blend them with another big verb from something else)......sometimes the 90's for 'weird at random'. Sometimes with burn off overdriving the input added.
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check out Dynacord DRP-20 or DRP-20X...
Old 30th August 2013
Deleted 7764de7
Been using a radial reamper into a behringer reverb machine guitar pedal. Having a blast.
Old 30th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
A cool MVII trick is to use it as saturation set on the first little verbs, like around 02, 03 and laying into the input, making it buzz. Pretty specific but in the right context pretty great burn.

I'd like to try, but I haven't quite understood what you're saying - would you please explain again? Especially "laying into the input"?

Thanks!
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
I'd like to try, but I haven't quite understood what you're saying - would you please explain again? Especially "laying into the input"?

Thanks!
Distorting the inputs by turning input up.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 31st January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Smile revervb tank

I'm using a simple accutronics reverb tank as an insert. Then I send a bunch of signal from my desk to it and take the signal back from its output. IT works just awesome, a big natural and sounding reverb for just 30 bucks. That's life!
Old 1st February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did anyone else see the PAIR of Ibanez SDR-1000 on ebay close 2013-12-08 for $47.66?

You had to pick them up in Brooklyn, but hey, who doesn't like to go to NY once in a while?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Did anyone else see the PAIR of Ibanez SDR-1000 on ebay close 2013-12-08 for $47.66?

You had to pick them up in Brooklyn, but hey, who doesn't like to go to NY once in a while?
Wow, what a christmas present for someone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alesis Wedge isn't too shabby. Capitol Chamber is my favourite setting.
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertodati View Post
I'm using a simple accutronics reverb tank as an insert. Then I send a bunch of signal from my desk to it and take the signal back from its output. IT works just awesome, a big natural and sounding reverb for just 30 bucks. That's life!
I've done this - works pretty damn well.
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No foolin'?

I've got one.....
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As I recall, the signal needs to be boosted quite a bit, but yeah it was a usable spring reverb. I'd imagine using a very small line amp would make it work better. Maybe even just a guitar pedal eq in line before the reverb, which would also be useful to eq the sound going into the tank.

Now that I think about it, that's a pretty good idea.
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gabriel Roth talks about using a spring reverb tank in his '****ty is pretty' article, which is a must read.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a PCM-81 and a Behringer V-Verb. I love the Lexicon, but the B is so good it's scary.
Old 26th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertodati View Post
So last night I'm roaming around my little Lexicon, not really finding what I need, and I remember this post. I go back and get the Accutronics tank that I used for guitar...

And....Holy Mackerel !! I don't know whether or not it was what I was looking for, but for that particular song it was great!...
Old 10th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i love this thread.
just bought a Korg DRV2000 for 50 €. it sounds great. lush & gritty digital.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I am a total ITB sort of bloke. But reverb? Haha! Build your own plate, make your own chamber, buy some cheapo used springs (I have three that I set up in series and/or parallel and get all kinds of stuff out of them).

Try different FX on the sends, especially eq and compression, create your own predelay, print the returns, go mental with fx again.

Perhaps, just perhaps, add some ****e algorithmic or convolution reverb to the returns.

Using a physical device, be it chamber, plate or spring so totally slaughters any digital stuff in the same way a real guitar smashes any Kontakt library, no matter how good.
πŸ“ Reply