cheep Monitors

Behringer B2030P Truth Passive Monitors
or
Edirol MA-10A Stereo Micro Monitors

which ones shold i get guys?
or shold i not bother whith ether and jus get a creative 5.1
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

you really can't spend enough money on monitors. that said, everyone's gotta pay rent and eat. the only monitors i can stand in the sub-500 range are the event TR-8's. don't bother paying for the XL's... the regular 8's are plenty loud enough to impress the ladies. no, i don't work for event, but i am listening to elvis costello through a pair right now...

www.event1.com

--jon
Old 14th July 2005
here in western europe the Event 20/20 V2 get some fine feedback..

you need an amplifier to power em (try alesis ra-150).
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head

event TR-8's aye

well there way out of my price range atm
so i guess i shold go for some standid creative spekers for now.:(
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

azz....two options.
if you google...youll find you can build/diy a nice little pair of monitors for about 150 bucks. sorry - ive forgotten the link. I KNOW its work. but apparently they are quite good.
another alternative is yorkville monitors favored by a lot of studio folks on a wee budget.
third - many big boys studios used to spot check mixes on auratone cube monitors (150 bucks i think.). they might just get you started. peace.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head

Auratone
arnt those the type of moniters that people use to check how a recording will sond on a cheep stereo system?
Old 14th July 2005
whats the problem with my event 20/20 V2 opiinion=?
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head

i dont think u can get the 20/20 in australia
which is where i live
or any event products for that mater
also im looking for something in the

or

price range.
the qwestion is shold i even bother whith these lowend monitors and just use reguler pc spekers
Old 14th July 2005
is it not possible (forget the events if you can't get em) to safe some money?

maybe from ebay? used ones?
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

i'd totally go with the behringers.
they may not be the nicest monitors out there, but they are reasonably flat andive heard some great mixes come off them. theyll certainly be a great improvement on crappy multimedia pc speakers.
i'd go for the active versions also.
Also look into buying from the US online, with the Us dollar being much weaker than it used to be.
Old 14th July 2005
the behringer (truth 2031a?) has some major problems in the high-mids where they are underpresented.. so no good monitor for guitar-records..

but go ahead..
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head

anyone know anything bout the Edirol MA-10A's?

there arond the same price as the beringers but there active :P
Old 14th July 2005
they have to little output.. don't buy an activemonitor in this pricerange.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head

thanks dude
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

These are probably the worst speakers I have ever heard. Spend a little more and get a pair of Tannoys Reveal or just about anything else...
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

Wharfdale 8.2's, passive or active, sound great I have a pair of the actives and get much better mixes now. They have pretty good frequency response in the lows and the rest sounds good to me.

You might be able to find them at some hi-fi audio stores around.

Hey why not strike up a deal with a freindly gearslut, and get them to purchase the speakers and mail them to you. Give them an extra 20 bucks for a case of beer and a pack of smokes and I'll bet they'll be glad to help.

Beez
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just got a second pair of used Tannoy PBM 6.5's. One pair was $100 and the other was $95. Just a suggestion! I like 'em! Another cool thing is that the Vifa HF drivers are pretty inexpensive if you have to replace them (guitar bands tend to!)
Old 14th July 2005

If you have an amp at your disposal, try the KRK ST6. In the states I got a pair for $200. Best $200 speaker pair I ever heard (better than most at $800).

-tINY

Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

i hafta agree with the KRK's, best bang for the buck IMHO
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz

or

i've listened to both intensely. they're both absolute ****. don't bother paying money for them. save the money you would have spent on them, mix on whatever you've got while saving more money, and buy the events.

haven't tried the KRK's, as tiny suggests, so i can't offer an opinion there.

just my $0.02

--jon

Last edited by JonCraig; 14th July 2005 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: tiny's krk post
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

for under $500, you should check out the blue sky mediadesk system. after a -lot- of shopping, i recently put some in my small room (10'x12') and they're great!

http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p3s7.html

good luck...
Old 14th July 2005
no ssl yet
Wharfdale

Heres another vote for the Wharfdale 8.2s I have a passive pair. IF YOU can go up to $800 I'll sell you my NS10s heh
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Passive Tannoy Reveals and a half decent amp (for whatever's left in your budget) will get you started.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

For cheap, I like Yamaha msp5 ($250 each) thye kinda have that boring/un-flattering thing going (which is good btw) and they translate very well which obviously is most important.

You might not like them if you tend to mix at high volumes.

Can't say much about the Behringer other then the quality control is kinda wacky, I had a friend's speaker start to rattle like crazy after a couple hours.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

... almost forgot to mention: it's not widely known, but blue sky offers a free 14 day demo of their mediadesk 2.1 systems if you go to the following link: http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p2s6ad32.html

i tried them out and never sent them back

...and no, i don't work for them...
Old 15th July 2005
Here for the gear

Yamaha MSP5

Yes! I second the Yamaha MSP5 if you can go $500/pair.

In my mind, these are the lowest cost real monitors you can buy and also some of the absolute best that are available for any price. There are monitors that may go deeper or louder but that does not make them better.

The MSP5's are super excellent. They are the last pair of monitors that you will ever have to buy... seriously.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi azz,

Not to sound too gear pimpy, but I work in a very large musical instruments retailer in Brisbane, with a heap of Hi Tecj gear, including monitors. My customer base is not high end, so I spend a lot of time with monitors in the price bracket you are investigating. We are having great success with the Samson Rubicons, which are a powered speaker with a ribbon tweeter. I don't recommend too many things, your mind is for you to make up. All I can say is that we have 12 sets of powered speakers from $200-$1500 on a patch bay, we line 'em up, and customer chooses. The Samsons are 7:1 on all other brands combined, including Behringer, Tapco, Alesis, Roland, and ESI. The 5A's with the 5" woofer are going to be in the range, so PM me before I turn this into a pimp proposal! We ship anywhere in OZ, too.

Personally, I really like the Rubicons. I have Emes Blacks at home which I love, the Rubicons are about the only speaker under $2000 AUD that I could mix an album on. They sit right next to my iMac at work, and are playing my iTunes collection as I type.

Hope this helps. I hate being a pimp, I like seeing peopl get cool gear that makes their life a little easier. Otherwise, put the money to a kicking set of cans, HD600s baby....

sh.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

azz.....
i mentioned the auratones because i thought you had a teeny budget....
and because several engineers at AES shows used to tell me years agooo....
they used them . for a varaiety of reasons. one being to qoute one mix engr
"if you cant get an effing good mix on auratones you wont on anything else".
but there are a billion different opinions out there.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Head

theres alot of great options heer but im just gona whait for my next purcase to get some moniters gona have to mix on a creative 5.1 setup for a wile :P
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

It's not really my world- I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty great collection of monitoring setups.

But I often have artists coming in and asking what I recommend, so I recently spent a day looking for a good recommendation. The criteria I use is musical balance. Over the course of listening to a bunch of songs, I was looking to see which speaker surprised me the least in terms of the rhythm relating to the melody relating to the harmony relating to counterpoint. Frequency balance is always different speaker to speaker, so what you need is a balance that makes musical values relate properly.

By far the speaker that had the best musical balance was the KRK RP-8. Their midrange information was excellently presented in relation to the lows and highs for a great articulation. It surprised me because I actually preferred them to the twice-as-expensive V-8's. Go figure. All the other speakers I listened to had bass or highs out of proportion to the mids, for a funny musicality. Record to record, the RP-8's had the best shot at giving me the song in its proper perspective.

ymmv, but this is what I saw.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search