The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emu 1820m or RME multiface
Old 14th July 2005
Here for the gear

Emu 1820m or RME multiface

Hello
Long Long time lurker here finally posting, Great forum guys!

Has anyone here directly compared or heard these two interfaces,
could you compare the sound quality?
Thanks
NB
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

I cant compare.. but the 1820M does sound really good.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Personally, I prefer the 1820M. The built in preamps are very nice, and you get "real" zero latency monitoring with fx.. Emu has really raised the bar for the low-to high mid audio interfaces..
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogWai
I cant compare.. but the 1820M does sound really good.
I agree.
Old 16th July 2005
js1
Lives for gear

I have the 1820m and it does sound good. I used it to replace an RME PAD card, and the sound is much improved (note: the Multiface is better sounding than the PAD, though).

But, the RME drivers are way better, rock solid and lower CPU load.

I've got the 1820m working pretty well in my system, and I know what I have to avoid to stay out of trouble. Many people have a smooth ride. A small minority can't get it stable, particularly with DSP cards.

js
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear
I prefer the sound quality of the 1820m which I think rivals or surpasses the Kurzweil Rumour and Lucid DA9624 and AD9624. But, the drivers suck.

I've found the Multiface (and other RME products) to possess the very best drivers and software. And, the sound doesn't suck.
Old 16th July 2005
I find it quite odd that so many are jumping on the bandwagon of the EMU cards sounding better than XYZ. Is it their advertising making people hear what they want to hear? Well, maybe some people simply like a super bright and wide sound? Personally, I'd take the RME any day. In fact I do. I definitely prefer the smooth and natural sound of the RME vs the gloriously detailed (read bright) sound of the 1820.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
I find it quite odd that so many are jumping on the bandwagon of the EMU cards sounding better than XYZ. Is it their advertising making people hear what they want to hear? Well, maybe some people simply like a super bright and wide sound? Personally, I'd take the RME any day. In fact I do. I definitely prefer the smooth and natural sound of the RME vs the gloriously detailed (read bright) sound of the 1820.

Well, if the ad people were having their way, then those of us who like the sound would likely also be telling you how great the drivers were as well.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
thumbsup
Old 17th July 2005
If I paid 1100 bucks for a sound card, you bet your ass I would justify the cost till the end. It would sound like Gold to me. All cards under $500 would likely get the fuuck from me.

The 1820M is a superb-sounding card for me. Night and day from the 2496 I upgraded from.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. However, please do not make the mistake of qualifying my opinion as one of a bandwagon jumper - I am quite capable of formulating my own opinions and drawing my own conclusions, thank you very much.

I like my 1820M. Take it or leave it.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've got an 1820M and here is the reality about it.

Pro: Alot of bang for the buck
6 really good converters - 2 midi in/out
good sync options
Adat lightpipe I/O so I can do 16 in/out simultanous channels with an outboard converter or ADAT deck (just use the ADAT's converters) hooked up to the lightpipe.

Cons: The 2 Pres on it are not that good plus they forgot to put a pre bypass on those two inputs and as a result if you use them as a line input, those two converters only have a S/N of 100db compared to the other 6 channels at a S/N of 117db (this was a BIG mistake).
The drivers suck, and after a year of not fixing them plus a recent update that only made things worse they still suck. I get a usable latency of between 7ms and 50ms, the bigest problem with that is as soon as you start to put your DAW under load (Nuendo in my case) you have to up the latency to avoid clicks and pops. What this means is you had better record your soft synths first and not overdub them to a loaded project without freezing/rendering tracks first (which is very time consuming).
The onboard effects are crap and really not usable as the horsepower of the card is maxed out with the current set of drivers (stick to your plugs in your DAW).
No GSIF drivers so if you want to run Gigastudio without rewire (the only way to get some horsepower out of Giga) you are SOL.

I've put alot of time in testing my 1820M and helping other 1820M owners on the un-official forum (a thinly disguised E-MU company forum). You can make the 1820M work for you but expect to put time into it and go in it with your eyes open to it's compromises/problems. If you can swing an extra $250 and you are still interested in the 1820M then pick up a used RME Digi9652. Some of the frustrated 1820M owners have done that. The 1820M is used only for the midi I/O and good converters which is lightpiped into the RME which is the main soundcard for your DAW. RME has solid low latency drivers (plus GSIF drivers)that will perform under load. So with that hybrid combination you have good converters and good low latency drivers for not alot of money. The other good thing is that the RME has 3 ADAT lightpipe I/O so you can use additional converters for more channels (you can still only have ONE 1820M in a computer though).

If you are thinking of going the RME route and skipping the 1820M I would look at picking up a RME HDSP9652 (around $450 used on ebay)(it's the updated version of the Digi9652) which now includes 2 midi I/O, and team that up with a good 8 channel outboard converter box via lightpipe. This will cost you more but you will be able to upgrade outboard converters as your budget allows more easily (just change the optical cables, the computer end of it will stay the same).

Hopes this help you, from one who has been in the trenches. . .
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I should add that I have used my 1820M solely for it's straight I/O - and i have not used the pres as I have other dedicated outboard pres.

I have not run into the limitations and problems that Bassmankr did.

However, I am not using thew 1820 in my principle daw, I use it in a second daw as a dedicated soft synth system. I have 24 tracks digital from my main daw.

I do agree, I am not a huge fan of the effects, in fact, I don't use them much at all. That was not what I got the card for.

In my opinion, the convertors are what it's all about.
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Addict

Some years later, what about those two cards? Any new opinion about one being "better" than the other?

Thanks
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

FWIW, the 1820M isn't made anymore so if you get one, you're taking your chances. There's a lot of new, better interfaces for the money now. I just bought the Konnekt48 from TC Electronics. About $1000.00 and driver issues before 2009 but a wonderful interface for me. The EMU 1616M might be something for you to look into...
Old 3rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
FWIW, the 1820M isn't made anymore so if you get one, you're taking your chances. There's a lot of new, better interfaces for the money now. I just bought the Konnekt48 from TC Electronics. About $1000.00 and driver issues before 2009 but a wonderful interface for me. The EMU 1616M might be something for you to look into...
Thanks, I even didn't know that the EMU wasn't made anymore.
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Emu 1818's aren't but 1616m's are. They've updated them to pci express cards. Just missing some i/o here but still good for small studio's. My drivers run at 3ms here. Preamps have a lower input threshold than more pro converters. I'd seriously consider using another preamp into the rear or the unit. The preamps are clear, just can't handle enough load imo.
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear
I used to have an EMU 1212 but it was really unstable on my system especially with my Powercore card so I had to get rid of it.

I bought an RME Multiface 2 with a HDSPe card about 18 months ago and its one of the best bits of gear I've ever bought.

Really stable and good converters. Totalmix is also a great bit of software.

I run it with a UAD-1 card and its rock solid
Old 3rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizix View Post
I used to have an EMU 1212 but it was really unstable on my system especially with my Powercore card so I had to get rid of it.

I bought an RME Multiface 2 with a HDSPe card about 18 months ago and its one of the best bits of gear I've ever bought.

Really stable and good converters. Totalmix is also a great bit of software.

I run it with a UAD-1 card and its rock solid
The Multiface II is my first choice but I'm still not sure about it. I opened a thread about it here: I can't choose my new soundcard, please help me

I also bought a UAD1 card some days ago but didn't try it yet
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaon View Post
The Multiface II is my first choice but I'm still not sure about it. I opened a thread about it here: I can't choose my new soundcard, please help me

I also bought a UAD1 card some days ago but didn't try it yet
You'll be really happy with both. IMO the plugins on the UAD are the best available and the RME is worth the money just for the stability.

thumbsup
Old 3rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks... I will probably order the Multiface today heh
Old 3rd May 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
I'd seriously consider using another preamp into the rear or the unit. The preamps are clear, just can't handle enough load imo.
Which multichannel preamp would you suggest in combination with a 1616m or a 1820m? I will use the E-MU as DA converter for an audio PC --> active loudspeakers.

Roger
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
Which multichannel preamp would you suggest in combination with a 1616m or a 1820m? I will use the E-MU as DA converter for an audio PC --> active loudspeakers.

Roger
What ever ya got! I'd say you'll need to escape the mid-range though to really get ahead of the built in pre's. Anything better than 500 range pre's or mackie mixers. API-A2D, Neve Portico, SSL VHD, API 512c... I haven't decided myself yet....
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
If you can swing an extra $250 and you are still interested in the 1820M then pick up a used RME Digi9652. Some of the frustrated 1820M owners have done that. The 1820M is used only for the midi I/O and good converters which is lightpiped into the RME which is the main soundcard for your DAW. RME has solid low latency drivers (plus GSIF drivers)that will perform under load. So with that hybrid combination you have good converters and good low latency drivers for not alot of money. The other good thing is that the RME has 3 ADAT lightpipe I/O so you can use additional converters for more channels (you can still only have ONE 1820M in a computer though).
This sounds like a good idea--would this kind of a setup require a word clock connection between the two devices?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search