The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
cheap 1-2chnl pre with digi out
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

cheap 1-2chnl pre with digi out

I'm in need of very cheap pre with digi output for a temporary mobile use. Something in the M-Audio DMP3 class, but with a digital outs.

There are cheap M-Audio FiWi cards... but I heard FiWi Audiophile converters and they made me sick for a rest of the day.

There is some preamp by Presonus, tube pre with eq and digi out... but that's too many things for too little money.

I've looked at Focuswrong trackmaster with digi out. Not the cheapest, not the greatest, but could do the work I need it to do.

I'd like to connect it with spdif to the apogee minidac (it can send it via USB to the computer).

Any suggestions? Or should I quit searching for something like this and just buy 2nd hand Motu 828?

thnx
Old 14th July 2005

Did you look at Mackie's Spike, M-audio's Mobile Pre USB, edirol's UA-25 USB, or???

What do you need it to have? Do you need +48v? Do you need an equalizer? Do you want "character" or a clean pre-amp?

If you can use the SPdif outputs on your computer, the posibilities are endless...

I wouldn't shy away from firewire, but there are some incompatibilty issues out there (like one manufacturers chips don't play well with anothers). I don't know if these have been worked out yet. You may end up buying a different IEEE-1394 interface card for your computer.

-tINY

Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

I want simple clean pre with digi out. Small... max 1U full rack. No EQ. Phantom for sure.

Quote:
Did you look at Mackie's Spike, M-audio's Mobile Pre USB, edirol's UA-25 USB, or???
Sort of, but didn't like it ;-).

For ex... minime is ideal, but it is twice as much as I want to pay for it
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

The ART DPS II fits the bill for you, if super cheap is what you're after. You can bybass the tube for a cleaner sound. It can be had for around $240. It's dual channel.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks for suggestion... doesn't feel so bad ;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search