The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Advice and recommends please
Old 13th July 2005
Here for the gear

Advice and recommends please

I posted this over in the high end section...and then wanted to delete it, but
the option is not available..least on my account.

Probably should read it if you are gonna recommend something.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/37217-high-end-gear-3-000-4-000-a.html

Basically I'm looking at advice on a 24-bit, multi-in, true stereo sound card.

A pair of real monitor speakers...and...

I guess whatever else I need to get at least a demo quality recording.

I can play pretty well, and can adapt to other style when forced...

I might be interested in providing guitar tracks for jingles or something.
Provided it's not some limp sounding ad for women's hygiene.

I use a PC btw...not a MAC.

I'm temporarily poor...but in the next 4-6 months...should have bought
everything I need...

Again thanks...

Right now I use a

Creative Labs 16-bit Audigy card

A Phillips $99 bookshelf stereo...

and a pair of Grado Labs SR80 phones.

Sometimes I plug the phones directly into the out on the Audigy when doing
a final mixdown.

There is really not much difference than when I monitor through the stereo.
The mids and highs are a little more dull through the stereo.
Old 13th July 2005

I'd look at the KRK V6 II powered monitors. They run about $700.

24 bit may be overkill for a budget set-up (the last 6-8 bits will mostly be recording noise from your other equipment). But, it lets you be a little sloppy with your gain settings (record lower and you can shift up later). I'd look at the ESI catalog for sound cards - good value for the money there.

You'll need a couple of mic pre-amps. Here's where it gets tricky. You may want a mixer and you may want to mix everything "in the box". There are a lot of ways to go here - I'll let others make some suggestions.

Then, there is mics. You will want to have an SM57 or two. You can get these for under $100 on the used market. Then, you'll want a large diaphragm condenser mic (there are several Chineese companies, a Russian company and a Canadian company that make budget priced models). And, you'll probably want a pair of accurate small diaphragm condensers. For the SDCs, I'd look at the AT3031 from Audio Technica, the HM-1 from Kel Audio, and the C4 package from Studio Projects.

-tINY

Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

This is how the disease starts. You begin with a $4000.00 budget and end up spending big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, just trying to please your ears. I would get an
MBOX $400.00 ,so at least I was compatible with the better studio in my city. This way you can re amp your gtrs and bass (Keep the DI) if you don't like the sound of the Sans Amp/Amplitude Plugin. You could trk drums at the higher end studio, bring them back to your MBOX. You should invest in 2 good Mic Pres, Brent Averil API 312 or 512, about $500.00 a pc. A good condenser mic, used or new Nuemann 193. That is a great mic for the money $750.00 used, slimmed down, no pattern selection or pad. A couple of SM57's $90.00. Another great dynamic mic Shure SM7 (good for vx) about $350.00. Universal Audio makes a great Mic Pre/Compressor LA610 about $1700.00 (www.uaudio.com). You will need a decent compressor. If you decide against the compressor/Mic pre solution, the DBX160XT or X(XT Balanced X not balanced) used is about $200.00. When buying gear, get stuff that you can sell for the price you bought it at. All the gear I have mentioned you will not loose money on.

www.bluethumbproductions.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search