The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what makes a good vocal booth ?
Old 9th April 2003
what makes a good vocal booth ?

I'm building a new studio in the moment and want to have a cool place to record my vocalists.
Any ideas about materials and sizes ?
I know a lot of vocal booths, that sound very boomy and airless and I don't want to end up with such a sound in mine.
Or should I invest in some Tube Traps ?

Any suggestions welcome, kosi

Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Tubetraps are nice!
Size and height matters! Small sizeed room tend to resonate at low frequencies.
So get a carpet, add a diffusor at the oposit side of the window and do some mufffeling at the ceiling and bass trap in the corners.
Old 11th April 2003
Lives for gear

Make sure no dimensions are the same (WxHxL) and none are divisable by the others.

ie. don't make it 4 x 8 x 16

Peace!
Old 17th April 2003
Super Moderator

"what makes a good vocal booth?"

A great vocalist!
Old 21st April 2003
Quote:
A great vocalist!
I thought you were really on to something here, so I went out and immediately tried it. I grabbed my good friend (she's got some great pipes) and tried to bend and shape her into a half box (the other half being the corner of the room) and surprisingly, it didn't work much better than when I tried it myself (myself not having the greatest voice). Maybe if I get four or five of them I'd have something. Hmm... heh
Old 21st April 2003
Oh yeah,
do you have a link, where I can buy some ?
I'd like to have 5 or 6, maybe I can get some rebate...

cheers, kosi
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness

A great vocalist!

Also, some groovy lighting.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

A big (great acoustic) space with dampin close to the singer..........no close reflections, but lots of big ones. WHOOO!!
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Maybe it depends very much on size and outline.

I have a little booth of ~ 10 qm3 and 5 angles ( the site where the door is opposes one of the rectangles corners, somewhat like this
__
|---\
|----|
|----|
-----

Expecting absorbing to be necessary I tried out first hanging blankets on the walls one by one ( before going for those insane expensive foam&co stuff, but any deadening didn´t make it better. Finally I discovered that it has a wonderful acoustic in there with all surfaces except the floor just blanc.

Ruphus
Old 23rd April 2003
Okay,
my studio is pretty big (40 ft x 16ft) and I don't know, wether I shall separate it in two rooms, or leave the space and build one vocal booth, or maybe build two iso booths or whatever. There are so many possibilities.

I can get 8 tube traps from a friend for a while, so I'll check them out. But on the other side, I like the thought of having an isolated place.
Let's see, what happens.

later, kosi
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

I'm building an iso booth in a similar sized space right now. It's a 35' x 19' tracking room and I'm putting in a corner-loaded triangular iso. The back walls are 10.5 feet long, then they turn in 90 degrees for 4 feet on each side. The diagonal wall is about 8.5 feet long with a 4 foot square window in the left half. The entrance will be through the right hand 90 degree wall, which is still open in the picture. This end of the tracking room is going to be walled off forming a separate hallway leading to the booth off the main studio entrance.
I tried making the iso larger, but it cut into the main tracking space too much. I'm happy with the feel of the room this way, and the isolated hallway will serve as a separate amp iso with tie-lines as well.
The tall corner of the booth, 12.5 feet, will get a cylindrical bass trap/ diffusor made from a curved sheet of pegboard and stuffed with fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
what makes a good vocal booth ?-iso.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Sub, don't forget to take that ladder out before you close it all up

Old 26th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by subspace
The tall corner of the booth, 12.5 feet, will get a cylindrical bass trap/ diffusor made from a curved sheet of pegboard and stuffed with fiberglass.

I like it! Would look great covered with a nice coloured fabric, would aid in HF absorbtion too.........
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Maniac

A vocal can really be recorded anywhere. It depends on what you want to add afterwards.

The worst situ is a vocal recorded in a bathroom, imagine.........it sounds shiiite if you cut to voc only.

However a bit of common and your away, and so the saga goes.
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

Pretty much as all above have said, just make sure its damped well. Nothing worse than small reflective spaces. They sound uncomfortable and leave you little options for reverbs and effects later. You also get the benefit of killing off coloured off axis response if the mic isn't great.

Regards

Roland
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ExistanceMusic
I like it! Would look great covered with a nice coloured fabric, would aid in HF absorbtion too.........
I was going to cover it in the same beige burlap as used in the control room, pictured below. Maybe I should do something a little bolder...
I'm trying for HF diffusion with the curved pegboard, the porous surface of the block is fairly absorptive, and the whole front diagonal wall is faced with fiberglass, similar to what's in the control room.
Attached Thumbnails
what makes a good vocal booth ?-cr.jpg  
Old 28th April 2003
Gear Addict

BROWN??

heh , no offence, but mate, that burlap would look sooo much
better if it was any other colour that brown!!

I reccomend a nice dark purple dye perhaps? With a nice oil on the wood to bring it out nicely?

Then in the vocal booth, have one wall the same purple, and the others all different, but complimenting colours??

Just IMO, it may look nicer in person, but there's my 2c anyway heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search