The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear for HS
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Gear for HS

Ok.. first let me introduce myself.. I am Scott.. I am a HS band director in CT with a huge interest in sound and recording.

I am having my music technology class doing some cool stuff with some decent gear, including the first quarter being music technology history/sound reinforcement/physics of sound and the second quarter dedicated to learning and using Pro Tools LE to create projects/etc. I have, with some of our best students, recorded the jazz ensemble with 16 tracks running into the Digi.

Currently at the school we have in operation

Gear:
Mackie 24•4 VLZ Pro
Mackie 824 pair
Mackie Control Universal
Yamaha 01V w/MY8-AT card
Digi 001
Digi 002r
MBox (x 2)
eMacs G4 (x 6)
G4 Tower 1Ghz
PreSonus MP20
Tascam CDRW2000

Mics:
1 - TLM103
2 - TC30K (omnis)
1 - AT4033
3 - e604
4 - SM57
8 - SM58
1 - Beta 52
2 - AT3031
2 - PCC-166 (Crown PZM)

so.... this is what we have right now. On Sept. 6, we open the brand new Stonington High School Music Department, and I would love some help taking some next steps with gear, etc. Since I only have the kids for a one semester class, there isn't a lot of time to go way in depth, but kids who have taken the class sometimes want to do independent study or whatever. One of the cool things we have is a music technology/keyboarding room and a control room(single pane glass .. damn) which will eventually be the termination point for 24 channels in the band room, including 4 practice rooms, 16 channels in the chorus room, and xx? channels coming off the stage. Actually the bad news is that supposed ly the conduit between the rooms stayed in, but the actual cabling got cut from the budget. There will be xx channels coming from the auditorium right away on Sept. 6. They are not sound treating the music tech areas for me... gonna have to do that myself once I get a clue.

I am looking for some ideas on a recording console, reasonably priced but great sounding gear we can add to our set-up. Down the line, I would love for the kids to be running a semi-professional studio right out of the school. Do you have any ideas for me?

Scott
Old 12th July 2005
More cowbell!

Maybe a Ghost LE or a Venice 320?

Venice gets my vote, but the Ghost may be more educational. The Venice can also be picked up and moved around more easily, and used in any live school situations you may have. The pres and eq on the venice are stronger performers. The Ghost has mute automation and some other stuff.

Here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GhostLE24/

and here:

http://www.djmart.com/mive32032chc.html

You also appear to be missing any ribbon mics?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search