The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Want to talk low end?
Old 9th July 2005
Here for the gear

Want to talk low end?

New here and not sure if this fits here if not go ahead and move it...

Our band currently uses a less than sound proof basement, 3 $9 RadioShack microphones(mono), a RadioShack 4 channel Mixing board, and Sonar 4(*ahemfreeahem*)...

The only thing we actually use the mixer for is when we record the Drums. Otherwise everything else is separatly recorded via the preamp out of the amp into the line in on the soundcard and into Sonar 4

Heres the results of about 3 days work...(criticism please)
http://music.hopeless-seraph.com/wehate.wma (1.32mb)

thats better than some of the stuff I used to record before I knew the meaning of the word "clipping"...

I feel lucky enough to be exposed to the music production industry in highschool, we have a TV/audio studio at school

But yes I need to quit rambling now...

Andrew Young
Student at the TechZone in Sterling High School
Sterling, Illinois
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky1
Sonar 4(*ahemfreeahem*)...

Andrew Young
Student at the TechZone in Sterling High School
Sterling, Illinois

HAHAHAHA

BRILLIANT!!!!!
Old 9th July 2005
Here for the gear

We won't record at the school studio because we have to use the crappy direct box for our guitars and bass...and the direct box sounds crappy... our school has some nice gear though

Audio:
A PowerMac G4(that kernel panics with too many effects)
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
Mackie Universal Control Surface
Motu 2408(or something like that...don't recall and it's summer time right now) Firewire Interface
Motu Digital Performer
Korg XD5R Midi Synth
Fatar MIDI Keyboard
1 Blue Bottle Mic
2 SM58's
1 Boom Mic
1 Shotgun Mic
Loads of Cable Runs(I know because I helped repull all the cables at the end of the year)

Video:
3 Canon XL1S DV Cameras
2 Firestore DTE Units with 6 40gb Drives
1 Canon GL2 and 1 GL1
A Chromatte Greenscreen System with 2 "LiteRings"
5 G4s with Final Cut Pro HD for editing(for use by Independant Study[thats me] Students)
1 G5 With Final Cut Pro HD and Motion(Indep. Study)
22 G4s with Final Cut Express(Student Use)
22 G5s with Final Cut Pro HD(Student Use)

And theres even more stuff I haven't used(or listed)...we also get to work with real world clients and have cut CDs for bands and individuals...but I have been throught every course the class has to offer and thus the reason I'm enrolled in Independant Study.

We also have a printing press, and silkscreening setup...

It's my favorite class...I've even been busted for skipping classes just to stay in there.
Old 9th July 2005
Motown legend

I owe everything to 6 years of a jr. and sr. high school radio drama program. May I suggest looking into pro studios where you can hang out and help. A lot of the top people in our industry have exactly this kind of a background from high school. The younger you are, the more doors are open to you.
Old 9th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
I owe everything to 6 years of a jr. and sr. high school radio drama program. May I suggest looking into pro studios where you can hang out and help. A lot of the top people in our industry have exactly this kind of a background from high school. The younger you are, the more doors are open to you.
I've been looking into a few colleges recently...I saw that Brown College has an Associates Degree for Radio Broadcasting...which I believe would be helpful...but I dont know of many other schools besides FullSail or one of the Art Institutes that offer these majors...if anyone could help me out there...I'd sure appreciate it.

As for finding a studio to hang out at I believe there are a few around I just don't know where exactly...I'll have to look into it.
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

hi tricky1,

"Sonar 4(*ahemfreeahem*)..."

<SarcasmMode>Here's an idea. You can start to market your services to local musicians. You'll be able to underbid those old geezers who are so freaking stupid they think they should actually pay for software. See, they think that morality is more than just about sex. How old fashioned is that. In fact, I'd make it a point to brag - like, 'Hey dudes, warez!' That way they'll know you have good bidness sense and street-smarts. And then make absolutely sure to sympathize with those stupid, greedy, naive musicians who have the nerve to think somebody should actually pay for their music. Just make sure and wait until they go home for the evening before you start openly lauging at them. Bwaa ha ha ha.</SarcasmMode>

There are actually free software packages that will allow you to record multiple tracks without having to steal. Check out the Agnula releases of Linux and the associated packages.
Old 9th July 2005
Here for the gear

I didn't even think of looking into the opensource movement...I'm a linux user most of the time anyway...Thanks
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

hi tricky1,

I think you may like the open-source "Ardour" if you have a compatible soundcard.

One way to get into the more expensive audio sequencers is to look for a free included "junior" package when you buy a soundcard. Make sure and register the junior product so that you'll be on the mailing list. Then watch for the software company to offer a special upgrade price to the latest and greatest. Believe me, they almost always do it.

For another cheap mixer, the smallest of the Behringer Euro series has a street price of around $35. One mike input and no phantom, but several line-ins and a pair of RCA ins. The design doesn't seem to be a copy of anybody else's mixer, it uses the same power supply as some of their larger mixers, and it sounds pretty decent.

best,

John
Old 10th July 2005
Motown legend

Look for a music school where you'll meet outstanding performers your own age. Most of what you would learn in a recording school will be obsolete by the time you go to apply it.
Old 10th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Look for a music school where you'll meet outstanding performers your own age. Most of what you would learn in a recording school will be obsolete by the time you go to apply it.
I've been reading up on Full Sail, and even talked to a rep online, they're going to send me an Admissions Packet...I'm just wondering is FullSail worth it? or Would I be better off with something else?
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

ummm you asked for critisism... so I'm gonna say... like.. it's all about the talent infront of the mic.. and maybe it's just a different genre that I;m not into or something... but was that actualy music?
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sonar 4(*ahemfreeahem*)...
tutt
Gearslutz is totally against illegal software.

Some helpfull posts have been made to offer you free legal alternatives.
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
I've been reading up on Full Sail, and even talked to a rep online, they're going to send me an Admissions Packet...I'm just wondering is FullSail worth it? or Would I be better off with something else?
My personal take is that schools like Full Sail and New England Institute of Art are too much bling for not enough bang. However, that being said, its all about what works for you.

I chose a really unique (and stupidly hard) program at Umass Lowell, but there are alot of different options at world class schools, and you need to find whats best suited for you.

Mix magazine had a whole big thing about picking a school a few months ago, try searching their backissues on the website.
Old 13th July 2005
Here for the gear

here are some pics of our super low-end studio...

My buddy Zack holding his old Mac LC II(he says it beats any G4 out there heh )

Zacks/our recording PC

Comfy Couch

Zacks stuff

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search