The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
optical vs. vca
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

optical vs. vca

i understand how these compressors work, but what are the general charastics of each, and which is better for what application? i know these are huge generalizations and the proverbial 'use your ears' applies, i'm just curious.

thanks all

wyd
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Guru

An optical compressor works off of a light source getting brighter as it sees more musical energy. There is a sensor that reacts to the amount of light and lowers the output signal. This is generally a slower and smoother process than a VCA, which is a Voltage Controlled Amplifier. A VCA reacts quicker and more 'drastically' an is often more noticeable when used heavily.

They are both useful for a variety of tones and reasons. If you have some transients that are jumping out are a track you might use a fast VCA to quickly get them without affecting the rest of the track. If you trying to make a vocal smoother sometimes an opto unit is the way to go.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Smile

cool man, thanks that makes alotta sense
Old 8th July 2005

Of course, if you have comprehensive envelope controls on the VCA and can set the attack to 100ms+ and select a soft knee, you can get similar results to an opto...

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search