The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's in YOUR mic locker???
Old 5th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Since 2010? Good gracious . . . I am truly a microphone slut, so of course.
I've added a U67, a Heiserman H47 tube, two Heiserman H47FETs, two Neumann U47FETs, an RE10 (pure junk), 3 Neumann KM84s, 3 Neumann U89s, an AEA R84, good grief . . . so many more, @ weave , unless I made a physical inventory, I'd forget so many.

EDIT: Beyerdynamic MC930 matched set . . . they're going to keep coming to me.
Noobs with server paychecks regularly get sneered at for posting prole questions in the High End forum, but this is fine?
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

In the end, we are all Gear Brothers (and occasional Sisters). All good. One I find interesting is when strong Pro's (like Ward) have evaluated lower cost mics,
and thereby help guide those, who can learn from them. Someone like Bushman, is another good example of this.

In other words, Community is Good. Overrides a strict Forum monitoring protocol.
Chris
Old 5th September 2020
Q: Who loves MD 441 and for what purposes ? The weirdest mic in the world ...

Me: live vocals, bass cabinets.

Best, Tom
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasylek View Post

Best, Tom
Yes to both of your applications. I also like it on sax. And it’s my absolute favorite snare drum top mic, especially for a song where there’s going to be a lot of nuance in the snare playing (and an open enough mix to hear it). For instance, a bluegrass-flavored song with a train beat, or a jazz waltz.

Of course, I wouldn’t necessarily trust every drummer with an $800 mic under his sticks. But usually a 441 would be wasted on the snare with the kind of drummers that would be likely to hurt it.
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I use that one live a lot. I even bought a second one after a mishap... Too bad you can't get the original with 3-position HPF. At least the model with the on/off switch doesn't have the ugly new rear ports.

-tINY

Yeah I hav e the original design too. Didn't know they did away with the HPF's? That's NG, I use those often, esp for vocals.
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post

That's kind of the whole point of the thread.

New at this message board thing?
take it easy bill
Old 6th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record View Post
Yeah I hav e the original design too. Didn't know they did away with the HPF's? That's NG, I use those often, esp for vocals.

The new ones have a HPF, but only on or off.... I liked the middle position on the old ones when I needed it.

-tINY

Old 6th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
Noobs with server paychecks regularly get sneered at for posting prole questions in the High End forum, but this is fine?
Troll much?
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

The new ones have a HPF, but only on or off.... I liked the middle position on the old ones when I needed it.

-tINY

Yeah the 3 positions are off, -3db, -6db. I agree. I like -3 best for vocals.. -6 a bit too thin. They just released a new vocal mic PR-37 a few weeks ago. I wonder how it compares with the 35. They say its a cross b/n the PR22 and 35. Same price as the 35. Could be real good.. I'm a sucker for nice live vocal mic's. haa
Old 7th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
For whatever reason I can't edit my old post, maybe 'cause it's almost 3 months old. Got a couple more iSK ICDMs on my birthday (total is 3 now, removed the foam from the grille). Also looking at getting a couple Line Audio CM4s, and two more iSK Pearls (I want one Pearl for every MK-012 I have, just because the sound is so similar, though the former is obviously brighter brighter, but hello EQ my old friend). Also looking at some Behringer B5s, the price is really inflated on Amazon.ca right now, I'm not paying almost twice what it's worth. It is a good mic, but it's still a sub $100 Behringer.

Good taste, for budget reasons I have the CAD M179s instead of any of the new C414s (the plan is to get some old B-ULS models for cheap and drop in a brass CK12 recreation when I can justify it). I love the M179 so much as a cheap utility mic, it is a bit more sibilant than my AT4050 sometimes (really just that hard ess sound, but it's not sparkly sounding like the Behringer B2 Pro), but the general tone is very similar.

What's your mic for interiors? The Countryman lavs? I would totally suggest the MK-012 film set, though mine just see occasional voiceover or VOIP. I wouldn't be surprised if the KSM141 worked too, I know it's cardioid/omni, but some reviews say it's really directional ("laser like", so I'm guessing they meant they found it like a supercardioid pattern).
Whew! took a few days off and this thread got salty. (Not you... just posts following)

Thanks for the comments. I've never had real experience with CAD. I guess I always assumed it was just another of the Chinese pack of usual suspects, but I know there could be occasional gems. Sibilant is the general theme when it comes to my experience with the budget mics of the Orient.

Re: Oktavias - that was a set I thought about, once upon a time. However, right as I was looking to invest in some SDCs for the first time, the great Guitar Center purging of Oktavia happened. I skipped out on the fire-sale (I regret that one)... I suppose the whole counterfeit risk made me look elsewhere. That's been many years ago, though. I'm sure things are sorted out by now. I've heard some pretty good recordings on the authentic ones... and I do like the swappable capsule system.

Re: Interiors: Aside from a few annual engagements involving Outdoor Performance Ensemble competitions (modern marching bands), all of my work is interior. Perhaps I don't understand the question, though. I mostly record solo instrumentals. I record a ton of auditions, many student/collegiate/professional recitals including a lot of video work, some corporate interviews, etc. - but my real love is full orchestral.

To answer the actual question - countryman(s) are for talking heads, Deity for shotgunning and camera work, and the KSM141s you noted are for "as often as I can use them." I love them. I've even boomed them in Rode Blimps, as necessary. (Though this isn't really an ideal use case.) My favorite thing to do is blend them in omni on a carefully measured/positioned 4-mic high-flown main array along with C414s utilizing some crossover magic in-the-box. I might make a post about my technique someday.

Re: "KSM laserlike" - I have not experienced this with my 3 pair. Perhaps a manufacturing revision? I mean... there is slight "focusing" of 2-4db in the highs in omni above like... 7khz at 180 degrees? But that's kind of a physics thing, you know? The mic does have significant mass behind the capsule in the way of the super small wavelengths... and who cares about that range anyway on the opposite side of the mic anyway? Point them upward, if that's really an issue; problem solved.

Anyway, in ORTF, they perform nicely... in XY, they get really good for capturing soloists. And then there's the spaced omni config... perhaps this will ruffle feathers... but I pick them over the Earthworks I have free access to as a matter of preference... I just prefer the lower self noise, and the response is far flatter than it has any right to be at it's noise level and price.

By the by, I'm surprised I didn't get called out on the homemade mics or the fleet of AT2020's... that was the bait I thought people would bite on.
Old 7th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
FWIW, I enjoy checking out people's contributions to this thread and seeing all the different approaches to building a mic collection. It's....slutty.
kind of the whole point!

Quote:

Best, Tom
We have a former radio dude who does all the annoucing at high school sports events that uses one of these in the stadium box. 'Bout broke my neck double taking the first time I saw it... then I thought about it... and had to admit that it was well suited to his voice and the task at hand. ...sounds excellent over the PA. The guy claims it was the exact mic he used over the air and loves the tone it gives him. He keeps begging me to let go of my Symetrix unit... not gonna happen.
Old 7th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphones View Post
The guy claims it was the exact mic he used over the air and loves the tone it gives him. He keeps begging me to let go of my Symetrix unit... not gonna happen.
I use this mic live. It has tight supercardioid pattern hence no feedback. The sound is very "retro" but this is the kind of sound you can fall in love.

Someone mentioned here that the "new ones do not have hi pass filter". Mine was purchased at Thomann in 2017 and it has one; 5 position switch.

Best, Tom
Old 7th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I use this mic live. It has tight supercardioid pattern hence no feedback.
Very likely another more functional reason to use this in a stadium PA. The stadium speakers are extremely loud.

Cool mic for sure.
Old 7th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphones View Post
Whew! took a few days off and this thread got salty. (Not you... just posts following)

Thanks for the comments. I've never had real experience with CAD. I guess I always assumed it was just another of the Chinese pack of usual suspects, but I know there could be occasional gems. Sibilant is the general theme when it comes to my experience with the budget mics of the Orient.

Re: Oktavias - that was a set I thought about, once upon a time. However, right as I was looking to invest in some SDCs for the first time, the great Guitar Center purging of Oktavia happened. I skipped out on the fire-sale (I regret that one)... I suppose the whole counterfeit risk made me look elsewhere. That's been many years ago, though. I'm sure things are sorted out by now. I've heard some pretty good recordings on the authentic ones... and I do like the swappable capsule system.

Re: Interiors: Aside from a few annual engagements involving Outdoor Performance Ensemble competitions (modern marching bands), all of my work is interior. Perhaps I don't understand the question, though. I mostly record solo instrumentals. I record a ton of auditions, many student/collegiate/professional recitals including a lot of video work, some corporate interviews, etc. - but my real love is full orchestral.

To answer the actual question - countryman(s) are for talking heads, Deity for shotgunning and camera work, and the KSM141s you noted are for "as often as I can use them." I love them. I've even boomed them in Rode Blimps, as necessary. (Though this isn't really an ideal use case.) My favorite thing to do is blend them in omni on a carefully measured/positioned 4-mic high-flown main array along with C414s utilizing some crossover magic in-the-box. I might make a post about my technique someday.

Re: "KSM laserlike" - I have not experienced this with my 3 pair. Perhaps a manufacturing revision? I mean... there is slight "focusing" of 2-4db in the highs in omni above like... 7khz at 180 degrees? But that's kind of a physics thing, you know? The mic does have significant mass behind the capsule in the way of the super small wavelengths... and who cares about that range anyway on the opposite side of the mic anyway? Point them upward, if that's really an issue; problem solved.

Anyway, in ORTF, they perform nicely... in XY, they get really good for capturing soloists. And then there's the spaced omni config... perhaps this will ruffle feathers... but I pick them over the Earthworks I have free access to as a matter of preference... I just prefer the lower self noise, and the response is far flatter than it has any right to be at it's noise level and price.

By the by, I'm surprised I didn't get called out on the homemade mics or the fleet of AT2020's... that was the bait I thought people would bite on.
The CADs are a little sibilant when compared to some other stuff, but I think that's also depends on where the sibilant range is in your voice. For me I don't think it's too much worse than my AT4050, though that's only around so I have a "name brand" mic at this point. My favourite mics are my MK-012s. I'd like to get a Schoeps MK41, but I'm actually not in a very good situation to record in right now, I've got some really noisy crazy (not crazy noisy, noisy and crazy) neighbours so I can only record really early in the morning unless I build a soundproof booth, but my place is a pretty small shared rental so that's pretty difficult.

The laser like focus is just something from Recording Hacks quoting some old reviews. Though with mic reviews it seems like everything good gets crazy praise, and just about everything that functions gets a pass.
Old 7th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
The CADs are a little sibilant when compared to some other stuff, but I think that's also depends on where the sibilant range is in your voice. For me I don't think it's too much worse than my AT4050, though that's only around so I have a "name brand" mic at this point. My favourite mics are my MK-012s. I'd like to get a Schoeps MK41, but I'm actually not in a very good situation to record in right now, I've got some really noisy crazy (not crazy noisy, noisy and crazy) neighbours so I can only record really early in the morning unless I build a soundproof booth, but my place is a pretty small shared rental so that's pretty difficult.

The laser like focus is just something from Recording Hacks quoting some old reviews. Though with mic reviews it seems like everything good gets crazy praise, and just about everything that functions gets a pass.
Again - I've heard good recordings on the Oktavas.

Ah- I found the article you mentioned - and I saw that it was actually an out-of-context quote from the now defunct ProRec. So, a quick search on the Way Back Machine and I found this archived article from Rip Rowan.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081210...ched-Pair.aspx

The "laser focus" comment was in regards to the cardioid mode. But I have to disagree with that assessment. While I agree that the Shures might be slightly less cardioid than others, that's kind of on purpose because you have such quick access to a much more open omni mode on the same body and capsule with a twist of that collar. I think that Rip was more interested in Wide cardioid, not cardioid, for his need when he made this complaint.

Shure includes pretty good charts with their mics and they don't hide this slight attenuation at all. A quick review of them shows fairly even cardioid shaped rejection until you go past +- 30-40 deg. from on-axis. It does show around a 2-3db additional (read/uneven) high attenuation for >10khz... at the +- 90 deg. (left and right of condenser). I guess I just don't have ears made out of the correct weight of gold to be bothered about >90off-axis response deviations of -2db for signals over 10khz...

I tend to agree more with the 2003 review from Sound on Sound. The most remarkable thing about the KSM141 is just how unremarkable it is - and that's sometimes exactly the tool you need.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...-ksm137-ksm141

I'd be happy to pontificate further on it's merits, but any further discussion of this specific mic should probably head over to another thread - that, if we are being honest, probably already exists. Not like this mic is a secret.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Nut

Probably maybe have a post in this thread but too lazy to search. Untested new gear as I unbox my **** is a GT Model 3a/MD3a mic (and an early MP1 pre that came as a package deal) and an SM7b to join my otherwise humble mic locker. Looking forward to trying both soon as I set things back up.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Nut

Forgot...a matched pair of ‘80s SM81 with cardio and Omni capsules to replace MXL 603s as SDC, mainly as drum OHs and acoustic guitar tracking.
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Here we go:

Cascades Fathead II (pair)
Shure 330
Lustraphone VR53 (pair)
Blue Bluebird (pair)
Shure B52A
Shure SM7B
Shure SM57 (4 of them)
Astatic 200-S
Rode NTG1-A
Thomson Ribbon Microphone (1930s - 40s, not much info about it)
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear

I'll preface by saying my experience with all of these mics is limited, as I am mostly a noob, having done more reading than actual recording. All of my work has been for my friends' solo projects, whilst I learn.

I am hoping to change that soon and I'm posting more to get others' opinions on where my locker is now and advice on where I might look in the future, to round it out. I have pieced this together over the last two years, buying almost everything used.

[AKG]

451B (matched pair) - got them for OH's, acoustic guitars, guitar amps, general stereo work

[Behringer]

ECM-80 x2 - Measurement mic, cheap omni pair

[Beyerdynamic]

M88TG - Floor Tom, Bass Cabs

[C.A.D.]

E100 (90's version) x2 - got one for vocals, but loved it on everything, so I got a second one. Others seem to like it on VO, Kick, Acoustic Guitar.

E200 (90's version) x2 - Similar story to my 100's. Sound great on most things I've tried. Multi-pattern instead of hypercardiod, like the 100's.

[Cascade]

C77 x2 - Wanted a cheap ribbon "clone" of an RCA DX77 for Stax drum sound. Got a second for stereo OH's.

[Electrovoice]

RE-20 - Use it mainly on kick, near the batter.

[MXL]

V67G - Bought into the hype and found a cheap pair online. OH's, vox, room?

[Sennheiser]

e906 x2 - toms and guitar cabs

[Shure]

55SH - Drum mic for a quick and dirty 60's soul setup, paired with the C77, ala Daptone.

SM57 x2 - toms or snare, guitar, ect.

SM58

SM81 - Hi-hat, Acoustic Guitar

[Sterling Audio]

ST51 x2 - Cardioid Fet Condenser, nothing special, but decent workhorse mics. OH's, Electric Guitar

ST79 x2 - Multi-pattern version of the ST77. Great on vox, OH's, electric guitar.

[Warm]

WA-14 x2 - "clones" of the AKG 414s. Snare, toms, male vox, ukelele

WA-47 - Tube "clone" of a U47. Vox

WA-47jr - "clone" of 47 get. Out in front of kick drum.

Aside from maybe another sm81, I can't think of anything else I "need."
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear

I've amassed quite a few oddballs over the years:

Syncron AU7a x2 (LOVE these, like a U87)
AKG 451 x3
Shure SM7b x2
Shure Unidyne III 545 x3
Shure Beta 87
Peavey 520TN x2
Aston Spirit x2
Philips LBB-9050
AKG D202
AKD D200
AKG D170 x2
AKG D224
Sennheiser E602
Teac MC105 x2
Uher M537
Radio Shack Pro 200 Omnis x3
Various SM57s and 58s
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Audix D4
Audix D6
AKG C414 BULS
Stam SA87
Warbler MKID
Studio Project C1 (Microphone Parts mod)
Microphone Parts S-12 (C414- like tone)
Neuman TLM 102
Neuman KLM 184 (2)
Little Gems (2 - Chinese SDCs with swappable capsules)
Sennheiser md 421
AT 2035
Royer R10s (2)
Rode NT1a (door stop and occasional new preamp worst case test)
Shure 57s (3)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgulian View Post
Little Gems (2 - Chinese SDCs with swappable capsules)
How do you like these? What do you use them on?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
My meager collection...

 AEA R84
 AKG C 480B/CK61-ULS
 AKG C 414/B-ULS (2)
 Audio Technica ATM25
 Audio Technica AT4047MP (2)
 Beyerdynamic M201TG
 Blue Mouse
 Blue Kiwi
 Coles 4038 (2)
 Flea 47 Next
 Neumann UM57
 Neumann U67 (Max mod)
 Neumann U87 (Klaus Heyne mod)
 Neumann TLM193
 Royer R121
 Royer SF12
 Sennheiser MD421U5 (3)
 Sennheiser MD409U3
 Shure SM57 (4)
 Shure SM7B
 Soyuz 013 Tube (2)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Missing a MXL 990 I see.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Missing a MXL 990 I see.
Chris
I’ll add it to my wishlist.
Old 1 week ago
My locker...

Being an Aussie, I have a few Rode mics. They serve me well.

Rode's
NT2 LDC - wonderful on acoustic guitar and voice - my first condenser mic.
NT5 x2 - SDC - amazing as a side-snare mic as well as good for overheads
NT-R x2 - ribbon mics - beautiful natural sound - great on almost everything - love them on drums

Gefell M1030

Earthworks TC30 x2 - very flexible - still learning new things they can work on.

Audix
D6 - kick - super flexible - stays in the kick most of the time
i5 (x3) - not had huge success with these

AKG
D12 - kick drum mic - I always wanted one. It lives up to my expectations - super pillow'y sound
C414 B-ULS - I love it on vocals

Grampian GR-1 Ribbon Mic - amazing on electric guitar cab - about 16 inches away.

Sennheiser e906 - next to the GR-1 this is a favourite guitar cab mic

Shure SM58 & SM58 BETA

Telefunken M80 - amazing top-snare mic

Last edited by jrakarl; 1 week ago at 01:34 PM.. Reason: adding one
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nothing to say about the Gefell M1030?

I know it's not exactly low end, but hey, you did mention it.
And some here might like some elaboration anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wasn't aware of that model at all. A few years ago, I was torn between getting the new Soundelux U195, and the MG930.

Thought that the U195 slighty edged the 930, on my voice. Guessing NAMM will be back in 2022.
The flatter response MG 1030 (vs. 930), would be interesting to check out then.
Thanks, Chris
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Nothing to say about the Gefell M1030?

I know it's not exactly low end, but hey, you did mention it.
And some here might like some elaboration anyway.
I really like the Gefell. I didn't realise this was in the low end forum! hahahaa

I've only used it on vocals - it has a lovely smooth top end without sounding hyped - I'd also say it has a warm mid range. I've not tested it's low frequency response.. although I will say, it's never sounded huge, or overly thick on the bottom-end. I do like what it does a lot and I think it would respond well to experimentation with a variety of mic-pre's, although, I've not done this. For some reason, I gravitate to the C414B-ULS on my vocal a lot, or if I want a really present sound, the Rode NT2. I'll probably give the Gefell more of an airing now...

I forgot I have a few more video mics - RodeCaster wireless, plus a video mic pro.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I forgot it was supposedly "Low End" too.

The last big list of great mics posted... Was like being in a typical conversation, with a Buddy.
Then... One of the "Bond Girls" walks right by both of you!
"what were we talking about again?"
Chris
📝 Reply