The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Truth Audio TA-1P ??anyone??
Old 7th July 2005
Here for the gear

Truth Audio TA-1P ??anyone??

I need monitors that translate yet sound good.
Anyone try these yet?

Bobby.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm buying some in a few days...I'll let you know ; ) I haven't heard anything bad ever about these yet. I want to hear what they do in my room. I'm excited about checking them out!
Anybody want some Event 20/20bas's near L.A.? (uh oh, now i'm a gear pimp!)

mckay
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeguy
I need monitors that translate yet sound good.

I reviewed the Truth Audio TA-1P for Recording Magazine back in 2000 or 2001, I forget the exact date. If you were to condense my review down to a handful of words, it would be "they translate yet sound good."

I bought the review pair.
Old 7th July 2005
JKL
Gear Maniac

I bought a pair after doing all of the research/homework on them. They don't get mentioned nearly enough (in my opinion), and after using them for a year I still feel like I've been let in on one of the best kept secrets in the world of monitors. I'm so glad I followed my instincts on these speakers. I saved a buttload of money by not following the trend, and couldn't be happier.

Jon
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Bobby,
I bought a pair of the active versions..the TA -1A's..

I got mine about a year ago when they were offering a no questions asked 2 week trial period figuring the only way to really audition monitors is in your own place with material you know well...

I had the Mackie 824's before and there's no comparison...

One of the best values out there...

And Shannon at Truth Audio is a living definition of great customer service...!

Highly recommended...!
Old 7th July 2005
Here for the gear

Very helpful all.
I will be ordering these in a week or so.
Let me know Mckay what you think.
Thanks.

Bobby.
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have owned mine now for at least a year and half now.......(actave version)......had Dyna Audio BM6a,Adams P-11 and the Truth monitors for 1 month on trial at the studio.......the Truths just plain kick ass in the translation department and they do pack a pretty good punch for such small monitors ,which does impress the clients when you need to.I ended up with the Truths and sent the other 2 pairs of monitors back............one of the best investments I have made for the studio!!!My mixes have improved by 300%

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

sub with the Truths?

What, if any, subs are you guys using with the TA-1's? I'm just about to get into some Dynaudio BM15 passives with a Hafler P3000 amp, but I've heard a lot about the midrange not being as accurate on these larger monitors...
Old 10th July 2005
Here for the gear

Active vs Passive

Anyone heard and compared the active and passive TA 1's?
What power amps are you guys using?
I really want to grab a pair of these but cant decide A or P's.There is no one that stocks them here in Australia so cant try out.
I already own a Hafler 1000 Transnova poweramp which I am happy with but just wondering if it will be as good, better or worse than the power amps in the actives.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

The power amp on the active version I have match up extremly well with the monitors...I know that they design the active version for the perfect marriage between amp and speaker......the other nice thing about the active is that I will often work at other studios w......with the actives I just get an extra monitor out from the console and i have my monitors in an instant! If you are still thinking about the passive do a search and i believe there are a few guys that use the passive and they talk about which amps they like.....My advice would be either keep the amp for another pair of monitors or sell it to cover the extra expense of the active version......anyway you go a great monitor!!!

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Why is this posted under the low end threads....I do not consider paying close to 2 K on a set of monitors low end....I know its not real expensive but definately not low end .I have heard alot of great nearfield monitors and these definately rank among some of the better monitors I have ever heard....( Mr Moderator where are you)..........unless we are talking about the Behringer truth monitors which are definately low end and sound like dfegad

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Well, here's the good news about the price on the passives: they are selling them direct for $699 a pair! you can pick up a QSC power amp (one of the recommended amps-or, of course, bryston as well if you can afford it) for $300. That puts you at a grand which is less than a pair of mackies or similar : )
that would be low end compared to some adam s3a's ya know?

mckay
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

when i bought mine they were not selling direct...my active model were 1879...........man that blows! ............I know there not as expensive as Adams sa3 but they are close to a price of the Dyna audio bm6a which in my book is not considered low end......i feel the active version of the truth is in the exact same legue quality wise as the Dyna's.
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I'll chime in here again...

I bought my TA-1A's direct from Truth Audio for just under $1300.00 including shipping...That's what you can still get them for now with the 15 day no questions asked trial period..

http://www.truthaudio.com/ta1a.htm

For that level of quality and price it was a no-brainer for me...and because it ultimately affects every audio decision in my studio, it's one of the smartest buys I've made...

I have no affiliation with the company but I always try to support smaller independent businesses...and Truth's approach of making a great product, cutting out the middleman, and offering free trial periods was very compelling..!

If you have any questions you can also call Shannon and at the very least you'll have an interesting conversation about nearfield monitor design with a very knowledgeable and friendly guy...

Larry Clyman
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

When I bought them they were represented by I believe Trans Group or some name like that.......soo I gave an extra 500 + dollars to the middle man..........now that you can buy the active version for $1300 direct that has to be one of the best monitor deals out there......I payed over 1800 and feel that was worth every penny.............even though this is a great bargain at 1300 1 pair this still should not be in the low end thread catagory ,if only to support the manufacture from other perspective buyers who would never dare step into the low end thread.......I myself check the low end very rarely where the hi-end forums i check every day..................Ok i will shut up now

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Truths are the most underated monitor ever. I used to have three pairs of monitors and mess with each to make a mix translate. I mix and master on the Truths and I just simply make it sound good on them, and it magically sounds the same on every other system. I am going to try to pair them with two Tannoy 10 inch subs to monitor better low end.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Ron,
I think it's fine that this particular discussion of the Truth products is here as opposed to the high end threads...

As you and I know, in this age of marketing, price is not always synonomous with quality...and if getting the word out here helps to reward folks like the Truth Audio crew, than so much the better...!

It's pretty easy to reference this thread from elsewhere..the beauty of the internet and all..

And on that subject, when I was doing research on these monitors, it was a number of your postings in various places that encouraged me to give the TA 1A's a trial...so it's all good...!

And I am absolutely in agreement with what Bang said about the translation strengths of these speakers...when I had the Mackie 824's I was always making my best guess as to how certain things would translate elsewhere..I got pretty good at it..but nevertheless it's not the most comfortable way of mixing..

The Truths translate so well that I rarely find I have to check on other speakers..I still do of course...but it's much less of an issue and is one of those things that cumulatively makes for a much more rewarding mix experience...

Larry

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search