The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
headphone mixer... is the dreaded behringer the only one?
Old 5th July 2005
Here for the gear

headphone mixer... is the dreaded behringer the only one?

i've got an M-Audio Audiophile 192, but it doesn't have any headphone jack. I have to have a headphone monitor because i'm gonna record vocals. I'm not interested in spending any money on anything except maybe better headphones, so i'm thinking about one of those tiny Behringer like 2-5 channel mixers. They look like they'd be perfect. I know what lots of yall think about behringer, but considering this item wouldn't be any where on my INPUT signal chain, i think i can live with less than perfect sound quality in my monitors as long as it works. besides, they're like $40 for a tiny little mixer, and i don't see Alesis or Mackie with any mixers that size with those types of input/outputs. anyway, any other suggestions would be great if you've got em. peace...
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

i think you're safe to use it....it's defanetly not gonna affect your recording quality at all so i say go for it.
Old 5th July 2005
Might this be something that you're looking for http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1696&brandID=2

About as cheap as the Behringer mixers...
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear
I used the Behringers at various studios and always found them unacceptable.

I'm very happy with Oz Audio--lots of power, and great custom-mix options. (http://www.riksmusic.com/oz_audio/oz_audio.htm)

I think that Mackie is going to release these under the Mackie name soon.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

One more vote for the cue mix by Oz Audio...You can turn it up to 11
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use the Rane HC-6 along with Pro Co HJ-4P junction boxes and sleep well at night knowing I own zero Behringer products.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use a Samson with 5 headphone outs and a volume control for each. Works great, sounds just fine.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Samson S Phone with EQ and Aux In for each channel is sweet
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've been looking to try the six channel Furman HA6AB
http://www.furmansound.com/products/.../system3_1.php

and also a satellite option so I can run headphones across the room http://www.furmansound.com/products/.../system3_2.php

The Furman also has speaker connectors which would be cool for tiny speakers

- anyone have experience with the Furman amps?
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Dunno whether there have been different batches, but ´the Samson Cque8 that I have is amazingly good for its class. Its housing BTW is the most sturdy thing I have seen.
Anyway, sounds good, touches well and costs under 100 bucks new in US now.

Either you buy that thing ASAP, or I´ll be getting me a second one just for Christ´s sake! heh

Couldn´t find my yellow pills today.

Ruphus
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Nut

I was in the same situatiuon as you and decided to go with a behginger headphone amp because it was exactly what i wanted and had a nice price. However, it only took a few months to break. If i had to do it over again i would have stayed away from behringer.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Nut

I have another Chinese one. I think it's a Samson...let me get up and look...

Yup, it's the S-phone. It sounds fine, hasn't let me down, all that. I try to avoid Behringer at all costs...but then, I bet they're made in the same factory as everything else!

-GRW
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ive got the Behringer headphone amp and its fine. Just ignore the Behringer logo....
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've got an Alto 6 ch. headphone amp, it works fine. If you don't want to break a hundy, for 10 bucks less you can get the 4 channel unit.

I also own zippo Behringer gear, but I confess I had to use that little mixer at a karaoke booth on the Canada day weekend, no lasting effect as far as I can tell...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search