The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Foamular extruded polystyrene insulation?
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Addict

Foamular extruded polystyrene insulation?

Hi all,

I'm hoping some can give me some quick perspective regarding the above as a means of sound absorption. Does the pink Corning "EPS" insulation work as an alternative to rigid fiberglass to absorb mids and highs? Just curious. Guess I'd have read a lot about it if it were good, but can't find any info one way or the other. It seems like it might be too dense to absorb. . . but what do I know?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

no comments?
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

EPS, or expanded polystyrene foam, does nothing -- zero, zilch, nada -- as far as absorbing mid- and/or high-frequencies in any useful way. Makes nice thermal insulation in a wall, and, if used in a sandwich construction between layers of sheetrock it can aid in lowering sound transmission through that wall. But it will not do doodly-squat as far as acoustic treatment within that room.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks Bob. That's was the answer I thought I'd get. Just wanted to know. Thanks for your comments.
Old 22nd June 2015
Polystyrene and chipboard

I was thinking of building a small drum riser for my home studio,
Instead a friend recommended a thick polystyrene base and chipboard on top, then a carpet, and finally my drums.
Any thoughts on if this would be ok.
The purpose is to try to eliminate as much sound as I can because I have neighbors below me :-)
I realize they will still hear the drums, I just wNted to try to minimize as much of it as I can.
It's a small recording studio in a small room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search