The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
G&R...Appetite for Destruction Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe G'n'R came out of the hairband era but AFD doesn't sound like it retrospect. Most hairbands played 1/8th note muted distorted gtrs rhythms while GNR definitely had some swing and swagger. I figured by now it would have completely separated itself from the other records of then. I like Axl's singing but I can sure understand where some people would hate it but musically AFD ****s on every rock record made in the '80's start to finish...I mean in a fuk you rock and roll swagger way.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
M I like Axl's singing but I can sure understand where some people would hate it but musically AFD ****s on every rock record made in the '80's start to finish...I mean in a fuk you rock and roll swagger way.
Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion.
But since "London Calling" Was officially released January 1980 i the US, I would have to say that "London Calling" ****s all over anything GnR's ever did. Period.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post
....Ok, i'm gonna dig it out and have another listen...it's still no Nevermind though.

There's just something very cheesy (do you understand this in the US?) about GnR looking back to me now, ala Spinal Tap.

As far as my earlier "Sweet Child and Paradise carrying Appetite" comment, I stand by it. Sweet Child was the track that blew the doors wide open for GnR. If it hadn't have been for that track, there's a lot of folks who would never have heard them.
I think Sweet Child is a great single personally and you can't deny it, how many riffs can really challenge Stairway to Heaven for "most played" in guitar stores?!
I actually heard the demo cassette that GnR were touting around LA back in the day to get a deal recently whilst I was staying with an A&R gal who is infamous for not signing them after rejecting a proposition from Axl... anyway, the demo was really missing a Sweet Child type track.

However, has there ever been a band who have sucked as much as GnR after their debut album??
FYI...Welcome to the Jungle was the song that broke Appetite. For me...and it is just my opinion...Appetite should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Nevermind. Both are great...but from different ends of the spectrum. If I had to pick one...I would choose Appetite. The songs are just so strong...you mentioned "filler'...DUDE, to my ears, THERE AINT ONE FILLER SONG ON THAT ALBUM.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion.
But since "London Calling" Was officially released January 1980 i the US, I would have to say that "London Calling" ****s all over anything GnR's ever did. Period.
Point taken. We could argue until we're both blue in the face and neither one would be right or wrong. At the end of the day it's just music.
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
Don't know if I am the only one to hear this, but Axl sounds like Ethel Merman on 'Sweet Child.'

It's the vibrato. I would love to have heard her do a version.

reminds of...everytime I hear Smashing Pumpkins (especially disarm).. I swear.. it's Elmer Fudd singing. "the killer in me is the killer in you" (as Elmer hunts for wabbits)

G&R...Appetite for Destruction-20_elmer_fudd2.jpg
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Head
i just popped appetite into my cars cd player the other day... for the first time in 8 years.
i remember why i loved it again. favourite track is #2 "it's so easy". brutal stuff. Almost every song is great though.
every song is about drugs sex and rock'n'roll.
yes there are some cringe worthy moments but it's only rock n roll.

and the snare sound is killer.
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Head
don't know if anyone else has mentioned this earlier but the production sounds alot like never mind the bollocks by the sex pistols with a little extra 80's gloss to it.

for me the sex pistols influence is very obvious, they even ripped off a pistols riff on the intro to "it's so easy".
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbob View Post
don't know if anyone else has mentioned this earlier but the production sounds alot like never mind the bollocks by the sex pistols with a little extra 80's gloss to it.

for me the sex pistols influence is very obvious, they even ripped off a pistols riff on the intro to "it's so easy".

Maybe Chris Thomas was a production influence for this album.heh
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
Sure, it sounds a little dated but at least the snare doesn't have a gated 'verb on it.
yeah but that cowbell still has the **** gated out of it :]
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Head
had to look up who chris thomas was...faaark, am i ignorant or what?
learn something new every day!
they also threw in another punk reference in "it's so easy" with the line "besides you ain't got nothing better to do, and i'm bored!" which is the title of my favourite iggy pop song.
appetite is waaay more punk than glam!
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Head
... and with a little creative spelling you can still swear on this board. i'm a klever kunt ay?
wooo rawk'n'fukkinrawl!
stick it to the man!
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Head
"....Ok, i'm gonna dig it out and have another listen...it's still no Nevermind though."...and thank buddah for that! not one ounce of teenage angst or self pitty on the album.
not that i don't like some of what nirvana did... give me some bleach anyday.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
OMFG.... (oh my ****ing god)

I really cant think of another album that wants to make people from all walks of life wana strut their **** int he middle of the supermarket in suburbia... Imagine a lawyer suddenly pulling air guitar to sweet child of mine an dthinking for a second he's slash! and the checkout chics signing the chorus like some chirstian brainwashed cult.. and the service manageress jumping onto the counter to pull the strained emotionally charged vocals of AXL whislt showing a bit of leg that ordinarily she would be far to coy to show... such is the power of AXL' s sheer vocal delivery

I mean i have allways wanted a 'paradise city' kik sound... the verb man... the verb!

Jules u MUST get Mike Clink to moderate..... it would be the online equvalent of the 'crue's' dirt!.....

Any LA crew?... was he do these days? Eque?

ROCK DOG extraordinaiire!

PEACE
Wiggythumbsup
Mike Clink did produce, but Michael Barbiero actually mixed that record. Anybody know what he is doing these days? Haven't spoken with him in years, would love to have him guest here! Would love to see the answers to questions people will ask him about the mixing of Appetite!
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

I was just commenting on AFD this morning with my mastering engineer. It is indeed a great album. One of the classics. Great production and the RMS levels are down, which is really nice by today's slaughtered loudness war levels. It preserves the production so well. There is a lot to learn again right there.

I remember thinking at the time that it was so tough and loud, but you put it next to Green Day and it sounds soft. This is not a negative, as it still sounds amazing. Once again, great production.
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Head
i know what you mean by it being soft compared to greenday but it is much better in every other way, and much tougher sounding to me. greenday is bubblegum to my ears. a short burst of synthetic flavour with no lasting effects.

i'd love the opportunity to lob a few questions at the AFD recording/production guys.
anyone know of somewhere we could find some interviews etc?
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbob View Post
i know what you mean by it being soft compared to greenday but it is much better in every other way, and much tougher sounding to me. greenday is bubblegum to my ears. a short burst of synthetic flavour with no lasting effects.

i'd love the opportunity to lob a few questions at the AFD recording/production guys.
anyone know of somewhere we could find some interviews etc?
I agree. Softer, but all the better for it. It preserves the production.
Old 16th January 2010
Gear Head

class sick!!!

i don't agree with the post inplying that the recording was a hatchet job.
those guys had those songs down when they went in. look at some youtube footage of a show they did at the troubadour....so tight.

is it just me or does it seem that drugs have a bad rap? christ, all the best albums were done on drugs. i pray that motley starts a habit again so we can get one last great record out of them.
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

without drummer and bass player, no GNR,

Great and unique sounding unit

when Adler left, they were never the same
Old 12th May 2012
Gear Maniac

The vinyl sounds even more up to date... perfect mix in many ways
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier L View Post
The vinyl sounds even more up to date... perfect mix in many ways
Really?
Dragging up a 2 year old post?
You use be bored
Old 12th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Really?
Dragging up a 2 year old post?
You use be bored
sorry man, got the vinyl yesterday and A/B it with le CD...
but yes... I'm kind of bored
Old 14th July 2013
And now I while drag this up once again.

While I don't like either Axl's personality (writing something like "One In A Million" while having someone like Slash in the band is just tasteless and disrespectful even for "rockstars") nor his style of singing, I do love the AFD and partially admire Axl's singin. His squeeking is annoying, probably more so today, but he always went all 100% nuts in the tracks, which can't be said for too many other rock singers. He just performed so intensely, that I can't actually imagine anyone else fitting the gig.

That said, the songs are just so rough and gnarly, this record just is full of attitude propelled by people who are working hard and dedicatedly on their own self destruction.

I've been reading Slash's bio too and it's well worth the buy. Interesting view on the scene, LA back then, the whole recording/label/music business, typical drug and sex stories, violence, all that you imagine. But written in a way that leads you through the whole thing in no time.

Finally, I gotta say, I love the sound of AFD. Much more than the sound of UYI or something else from this era. It's just a great mix. Still sounds good, although I could do with a little less reverb (in general).
Adler plays great, I love his timing, I love duff's locking in and I love Izzy's texturing and soundpainting. And Slash just makes that thing a record.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search