The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
G&R...Appetite for Destruction Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

velvet revolver?
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
velvet revolver?
Yep, 2nd one.
Old 24th October 2003
One with big hooves

2nd one what? VR has a 1st album out?!? When did that happen???
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

Nah, not yet... but a 2nd one has already been tracked. The 1st one is supposed to be released early (Feb?) next year. Rumormill has it #2 will be out in the summer, but with RCA, who the hell knows...
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

hoe the heck did I miss this?

Thanks for the heads up.. looks uber cool
Old 2nd November 2003
Lives for gear

A Cult fan here. Ian didn't play drums on any albums. Not sure past Sonic Temple.
Dreamtime-Nigel Preston Love-Mark Brzezicki (Big Country)
Electic-Les Warner
Sonic Temple-Micky Curry (Cinderella)
Loved GNR's Appetite and Lies album also. Great acoustic songs on Lies.
Janes Addiction's Nothings Shocking and Ritual were great. The triggered sounding snare sometimes bugs me though. Todd F.
Old 10th November 2003
Gear Head

Just a nod to West Arkeen, gone but not forgotten, and a bigger part of why AFD's songs were so much better than what followed. The man could play a Les Paul. Too bad he wasn't cute enough to be in the band.
Old 11th November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ToddF

Sonic Temple-Micky Curry (Cinderella)
Which Cinderella record did Micky Curry play on?
Im a big fan, would like to check out his work.
Old 13th November 2003
Lives for gear

Sean I got my 80's bands mixed up. Micky Curry played on a lot of other 80's albums Bryan Adams, Hall and Oates, Honeymoon Suite etc. He didn't play with Cinderella, that was Fred Coury. Sorry. Todd F.
Old 13th November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ToddF
Sean I got my 80's bands mixed up. Micky Curry played on a lot of other 80's albums Bryan Adams, Hall and Oates, Honeymoon Suite etc. He didn't play with Cinderella, that was Fred Coury. Sorry. Todd F.
yes, im a big fan. his playing on the cult records is just killer.

take care
Old 9th October 2004
One with big hooves

What did Dizzy play? Was he Izzy's replacement before Gilby joined the band?
Old 9th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What did Dizzy play? Was he Izzy's replacement before Gilby joined the band?
I think Dizzy was the keyboard dude.

Sean
Old 9th October 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

I read this thread yesturday. Then when i was out last night i heard Mr. Brownstone on the radio. Dug up the tape when i got home, and couldn't come up with a good reason why i stopped listening to it. I do have my favorites, but there is not one song on AFD that i don't like. 17 years for a rock record that was dismissed at the time of its inception for "only having 3 chords" that can still hold its own isn't too shabby.

On a whim, tried to listen to the use your illusion cds, but 80% of the songs sounded like DEMOs.
Old 10th October 2004
Lives for gear

i think it was 5th grade i found GNR......
they really were the band that switched on my love for music.

THANK YOU GUNS N ROSES!
Old 10th October 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Sofa King
I think Dizzy was the keyboard dude.
Huh. His band 'Hookers & Blow' is going to be at my club sometime in the next few weeks. I've never heard 'em...just wondering what to expect.
Old 13th October 2004
Lives for gear

Sometime in the early nineties, I used to see Steven Adler advertising in the Recycler. Drum lessons with "ex GnR drummer Steven Adler"

It depends on your frame of reference. Either GnR were the last in a long line, or the first in a long line. Either way, I think they opened the door for Faith no More, RHCP and Jane's Addiction, who opened the door for:

Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Sublime, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, 311, STP, Blind Melon, The Verve, Tonic, Third Eye Blind, Everclear, Cake, Prodigy, Lit, Oleander, Cypress Hill, Urge Overkill, Helmet, Screaming Trees, Live, Black Crowes, Elastica, The Eels, Rage Against the Machine, Daft Punk, Semisonic, Filter, Supergrass, Orgy, Cornershop, Silverchair, Blur, Pulp...

Most of whom are either gone or much less active than they were in the nineties. Weird how so many dropped off the face of the planet.
Old 13th October 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by max cooper
...Helmet, ....
Most of whom are either gone or much less active than they were in the nineties. Weird how so many dropped off the face of the planet.

Had to clip to save bandwith but DAMN...

Helmet released their first new album in YEARS a week ago.

It fukking rocks.

Go buy it.

Seriously.

First good 'modern' disc I've heard in a LONG time.

Front to back it's all there. Haven't changed a bit.

Highly recommened.
Old 15th October 2004
Here for the gear

somebody was talking about Slash's guitar tone and how they wanted to get a "real" les paul. He actually was using a custom made les paul replica on Appetite.
I heard that the crowd was dubbed in on Live Like a *#&) Suicide. anyone else know anything about that ? I mean they are pretty shockingly tight on there but it does sound live.
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

I'm reading Slash's book and it made me revive this thread. I listened to "Appetite" again with a new found respect.
Old 23rd November 2007
Gear Maniac

There was a period of time in the late '90's where I would keep spotting Slash out at rock shows in Chicago (usually at the Metro). No top hat, but I was always amazed that he was still rockin' the stretch pants.
AFD is an amazing album.
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appetite for Destruction was carried by Sweet Child and Paradise City, IMO, the rest of it was fillers...
This couldn't be more wrong, IMO. I read the follow up explanation...I had the album a year before Chil hit...if it hadn't have broken them so big, maybe they'd have made another good record.

I also agree with Adler being an important ingredient. He played like ass live, though...I had a million bootlegs--they were downright terrible. Still, Civil War is the only one on Illusions that has that "swagger" as it was put earlier.

It was a great moment.
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Sometime in the early nineties, I used to see Steven Adler advertising in the Recycler. Drum lessons with "ex GnR drummer Steven Adler"

It depends on your frame of reference. Either GnR were the last in a long line, or the first in a long line. Either way, I think they opened the door for Faith no More, RHCP and Jane's Addiction, who opened the door for:

Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Sublime, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, 311, STP, Blind Melon, The Verve, Tonic, Third Eye Blind, Everclear, Cake, Prodigy, Lit, Oleander, Cypress Hill, Urge Overkill, Helmet, Screaming Trees, Live, Black Crowes, Elastica, The Eels, Rage Against the Machine, Daft Punk, Semisonic, Filter, Supergrass, Orgy, Cornershop, Silverchair, Blur, Pulp...

Gun's and Roses helped open the door for Cake? I don't think so. Appetite is a gr8 album though.
Old 24th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post
I'm reading Slash's book and it made me revive this thread. I listened to "Appetite" again with a new found respect.
Totally agree. Im only 1/4 way through it. The dude was 19 YEARS OLD when he composed alot of the stuff for appetite....and pretty much a street kid. Interesting story about the scene back then, and how that band came to be...
Old 3rd May 2008
Here for the gear

Appetite

Great record! They recorded it on a trident console. They tracked as a band and overdubbed vocals and solo's later. The band tracking took three days and overdubbing the next four. The album was tracked and mixed in under 20 days.
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjvelez View Post
Great record! They recorded it on a trident console. They tracked as a band and overdubbed vocals and solo's later. The band tracking took three days and overdubbing the next four. The album was tracked and mixed in under 20 days.
Really?
Might wanna check your facts.
It cost $370k to record. An extravagant sum at the time.
According to this RS article it took weeks in rehearsal.

The Making of 'Appetite for Destruction' : Rolling Stone

2 weeks to record the beds.
A month to do the Guitar overdubs and lot's of editing.

And I guarnatee you it wasn't mixed in under 20 days either.

I never liked the band, never liked their songs either.
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

I can't wait for Chinese Democracy.
Old 21st May 2008
Gear Maniac

amazing album.

kinda cool but when i was like 5, duff lived next door to me (studio city, laurel terrace right off laurel canyon). he ended up becoming family friends and babysat me. i remember he would always give me a ****load of toys. he was always really chill. i never saw slash or axl much, but the few times i remember seeing them they would drink and smoke outside the house constantly and axl would be yelling nonsense in the middle of the street.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

There's a fair amount of cowbell on the album, which I think played an important part in the album's (and the band's) success.

Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Really?
Might wanna check your facts.
It cost $370k to record. An extravagant sum at the time.
According to this RS article it took weeks in rehearsal.

The Making of 'Appetite for Destruction' : Rolling Stone

2 weeks to record the beds.
A month to do the Guitar overdubs and lot's of editing.

And I guarnatee you it wasn't mixed in under 20 days either.

I never liked the band, never liked their songs either.
What kind of music were you into in '87-'92?

I have a friend who didn't really care for AFD and I am curious to see if there is any correlation in the bands you liked and he liked at the time.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
What kind of music were you into in '87-'92?

I have a friend who didn't really care for AFD and I am curious to see if there is any correlation in the bands you liked and he liked at the time.
Lot's of different stuff.
But none of the US Rock/Glam hairband stuff. And really, GnR's were a hairband. It's pretty obvious to me when you see the "Sweet Child Of Mine" video. Axl's hair is all teased up liek your typical LA Hairband.

And I simpyl can't stand his Ethel Merman "singing". Just terrible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search