The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
G&R...Appetite for Destruction Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
And just for good measure, when Slask played, "no one note got it due."
---------------
I know a lot of those notes personally, and man it's not easy to give them their due- they give and give, and what do they get back?

For me it highlights the difference between the blues and the blues scale.
Oh no... You're not one of these white blues guys who bends and shakes every note, and then makes a face like you're taking a dump, are you?

Sorry, I just don't get this stuff about Slash.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
This is NOT a personal attack on Mr. Sorum. I don't know the man and I can't even recall an interview with him. I just plain don't like his playing at all. (snip)
No, of course not. I understand what you meant and share your view. Matt is a very nice guy, but I (personally) am not a big fan of his playing, either. I thought GNR was much cooler w/Adler (even though he's not as technically 'adept' as Matt).

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
I realized years later that Mr. Sorum played with the Cult. I never could understand what the big deal with them was either. I think it's because I couldn't feel the groove with that band, hence I was never pulled in.
I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Electric. I think you'll find some serious groove present. And Matt didn't play on that record, either. In fact, I preferred both bands' previous drummers to Matt. He's a bit generic for my tastes, but still, a really nice fellow. No one seemed to get my little stab at humour (in my previous post)...
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Hmm... which one of the three Star Trek danger themes would accompany you when you awake?
"Steppin' out to Eden, yea brother.."

The one with the space hippies.

"The worst episode ever" - Comic Store Guy.

What about the tour GnR did with Buckethead and Brain?

That's the one I want to hear, Buckethead, Brain, Ethyl, and some anonymous session bass player, like John Paul Jones.

Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

I liked Appetite when it came out, like everyone else, for a while.

However, what I liked more was Nirvana coming along and wiping the floor with all these "hair" rock bands and making them all look very stupid simultaneously....

Appetite for Destruction was carried by Sweet Child and Paradise City, IMO, the rest of it was fillers...

Nevermind is starting to sound a little dated to me too now, but you can never doubt the sentiment, emotion and sheer catchy-ness of it. I think it's one of the most important modern day records, I think Appetite falls far short of this acclaim.
Old 17th April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
Appetite for Destruction was carried by Sweet Child and Paradise City, IMO, the rest of it was fillers...
how is that? those are my least favorite songs on the album. brownstone is killer, rocket queen, anything goes, night train, welcome all blow those two songs [i thought those two were the filler]
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

I am with Alpha, the diffrence in the last two posts is the difference between someone who likes Rock music and a Rawk fan.

Brownstone, So Easy, Anything Goes, Michelle.. I love that stuff, and Rocket Queen could be my fav GNR song of all time.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

I think every song on Appetite was great. No filler.
Old 18th April 2003
There is only one

how could i forget so easy...

its so easy when everybodies trying to please me baby
i see you standing there
you think youre so cool
why dont you just...

**** off.

although this band im working with just canned a song with the line:
like a crack ***** junky looking for her fix
and we are the rock

damn... what a killer line to lose out on the EP.
Old 18th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
how is that? those are my least favorite songs on the album. brownstone is killer, rocket queen, anything goes, night train, welcome all blow those two songs [i thought those two were the filler]
Ditto that. Sweet Child is a bit contrived IMHO. That and "Paradise" are the most produced songs on the album. How can you argue with Night Train and So Easy? You can't. If you like rock you just can't. I bet your one of the 10 people on the planet that also thinks Zep II just sucks like a Hoover.
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Guru

Alpha et al are right. The album tracks are better than the singles!
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

NightTrain!!! great song, and have you ever tried to drink that stuff.. now that takes commitment!
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
NightTrain!!! great song, and have you ever tried to drink that stuff.. now that takes commitment!
The key to drinking Nighttrain is to add an packet of koolaid and shake it up (or leave on the dash and hitcha switchez). Tip from an underground San Pedro rapper...
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
If thats the album Bill Price mixed, I have the scoop on the mix.
It's not...you're thinking of "Use Your Illusion"Vol I&II.
Their was a big "scouting" event for thatn one...Bill Price one out.

Appetite for Distruction was Produced and Recorded by Mike Clink. It was his big break...he'd just about given up on the biz by that time. A friend of mine
Micajah Ryan assited the Overdubs at a studio called TakeOne in one of the old Kendun Rooms in Burbank (Basic Tracks had been cut at Rumbo Recorders out in Canoga Park, on thier Neve V..no recall) on an Trident80B. I was working at night after a day delivery job...kinda 2nd assisting for Micajah, just before they came in. I couldn't afford to quite my day job so I didn't stick out the double gig routine long enough to get a paying gig their (there wasn't one though,really...Micajah had it)...so I kept my day gig. Too bad, cause then G&R came in their to do OD's (but I only could have been there for free). Anyway...I got to meet them a few times while they were cutting this record. Saw 'em a bunch of times at The Wiskey before and after they got signed, before making that first record. They incidentally had the same managment at the time as Great White (Michael Niven).
Michael Barbiero & Steve Thompson, two of the big hard-rock mixers at the time, mixed.
Also...Dave Rietzas was an assistant on that record.
They were, as a live unit at that time...everybit as good as the record.
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

....Ok, i'm gonna dig it out and have another listen...it's still no Nevermind though.

There's just something very cheesy (do you understand this in the US?) about GnR looking back to me now, ala Spinal Tap.

As far as my earlier "Sweet Child and Paradise carrying Appetite" comment, I stand by it. Sweet Child was the track that blew the doors wide open for GnR. If it hadn't have been for that track, there's a lot of folks who would never have heard them.
I think Sweet Child is a great single personally and you can't deny it, how many riffs can really challenge Stairway to Heaven for "most played" in guitar stores?!
I actually heard the demo cassette that GnR were touting around LA back in the day to get a deal recently whilst I was staying with an A&R gal who is infamous for not signing them after rejecting a proposition from Axl... anyway, the demo was really missing a Sweet Child type track.

However, has there ever been a band who have sucked as much as GnR after their debut album??
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
[BThere's just something very cheesy (do you understand this in the US?) about GnR looking back to me now, ala Spinal Tap.[/B]
Of course we understand. In indie circles, GnR was considered a guilty pleasure, at least until enough people admitted that they loved it.

To me, the Spinal Tap element is central to what makes it great--incredibly over the top, teetering on the edge of self-parody, but never quite succumbing to it.

And yeah, I'll take "It's So Easy" over any of the songs that were on the radio.
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Spinal Tap
Ha...I was an extra in the movie.....LOL
Old 20th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
There's just something very cheesy (do you understand this in the US?) about GnR looking back to me now, ala Spinal Tap.
You can find Spinal Tap in just about every rock band that's ever put an album out. It ain't hard to do. But where Spinal Tap was funny G&R got scary. I can't imagine the St. Louis riot being all that much fun for anyone involved.

Quote:
However, has there ever been a band who have sucked as much as GnR after their debut album??
Are we really talking about the same band? I thought most of the stuff on Use Your Illusion I & II was pretty good. It probably could've been condensed down to one 74 or 80 CD but it was far from sucking IMHO.
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Are we really talking about the same band? I thought most of the stuff on Use Your Illusion I & II was pretty good. It probably could've been condensed down to one 74 or 80 CD but it was far from sucking IMHO.
Of course, Jay, you're both allowed and welcome to your HO, and whilst I agree with you that the Use Your Illusions could have been condensed, I still think they sucked big time. They stunk of indulgence and lacked the x-factor that made Appetite what it was. And what the **** was the Spaghetti album about....

I was listening to Jane's Addiction's "Nothing's Shocking" earlier and sonically and instrumentally it reminds me a lot of Appetite, but I think it's 10 times cooler. Perry Farrell has always got my attention and I think both he and Jane's were/are very underrated. His lyrics have depth and integrity, and they're not bull**** like "I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother", etc..
Old 20th April 2003
There is only one

GnR was just about raunchy rawk n roll. janes was something totally different. i was blasting nothings shocking the other day in my truck. in fact, i pulled two CD's that day. nothings shocking and appetite for destruction.

and damn, i saw janes two? years ago and **** if they werent as big as ever... STILL better than anything else out there. maybe it was last summer, my memory is slowly going.
Old 20th April 2003
Gear Addict

Janes was working on a new album with Bob Ezrin. Anyone know when (if?) it's going to be released?
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

Smile Good Janes Feature link

cool janes addiction article
Old 9th June 2003
Mindreader

From an email I got from Bill Price this morning after I bothered him:

I had nothing to do with "Appetite for Destruction" - this was the work of
Mike Clink.

I mixed "Use Your Illusions 1 & 2", which was recorded by Mike.

The story you posted was totally accurate concerning the first G & R track I
mixed.

Incidentally, there is no gated reverb on the snare on that either, but I
will own up to a bit of gated bright room mic on the snare and gated dull
room mic on the kick in order to make the most of the room and still keep
the cymbals under control without using any triggered samples.

Best wishes,

Bill Price
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

I feel that GNR didn't write a few of those songs (lyrics) on AFD. Sweet child, paradise city seem very contrived compared to the other songs on the album.

Same goes for knocking on heaven's door. Other songs I believe they wrote the lyrics for like november rain, the end of rocket queen etc but they had producer help for the sweetness.

It doesn't really matter too much to me though. Great music, great recordings, beautiful music.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Wow. A lot of praise. I always thought Guns and Roses sucked and still do. They are just plain embarrasing. I also think Slash is a mediocre rock guitarist and that their songs (with the exception of 2 or 3) were piss-poor.

To each his own.

Moving along...
Old 9th June 2003
Janes was working on a new album with Bob Ezrin. Anyone know when (if?) it's going to be released?

ROCK ON!

Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
I feel that GNR didn't write a few of those songs (lyrics) on AFD. Sweet child, paradise city seem very contrived compared to the other songs on the album.

Same goes for knocking on heaven's door. Other songs I believe they wrote the lyrics for like november rain, the end of rocket queen etc but they had producer help for the sweetness.

It doesn't really matter too much to me though. Great music, great recordings, beautiful music.
The lyrics for 'Knocking On Heavens Door' remind me of something Bob Dylan would write.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Meriphew
The lyrics for 'Knocking On Heavens Door' remind me of something Bob Dylan would write.
Old 10th June 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
There was an article on it in the new issue of Mix. Something in studio news thing in the back. I don't remember what it said though.
Old 10th June 2003
Super Moderator

I just recorded and engineered Janes Addiction during the WBCN River Rave...

Man, they rocked! The band was tight and on point. They sounded great right from the moment they started playing.
But there was a problem...

They only played 23 minutes. Damn.

I cannot wait to mix their tracks this Thursday.
Old 10th June 2003
There is only one

steve, can i come work with you for that mix? i make a killer coffee/expresso/cappuchino... i can patch cables, solder, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search