The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
G&R...Appetite for Destruction Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
It's pretty widely known in some circles that Slash, Duff and Izzy are playing as a group again. Is anything going to come out of it? Who the hell knows, but I hope so. And having Scott Weiland in there would just be too cool. If there's a record I'd hope that it's cooler then the Audioslave disc.
Speaking of Wyldely known, Another rumor has Sebastian Bach singing with them in "the project". I think that would be plenty cool as well, although Scott is def more G&R to me for some reason. Maybe he just looks more like a drug addict to me or something.
Old 10th April 2003
Here for the gear

Hi,

That came out around the time I was learning to play guitar... I wasn't that into metal that much(I was big into U2, Rush & Yes), but you couldn't avoid it at the time. Especially in guitar circles.

I just got a digital delay, so the intro to "welcome to the jungle" was mandatory for wowing your friends!

BTW, I've heard that Duff never played on it, and Steve Bailey(I think.... he played in madonna's band for a while) played the parts. Not sure if this is true. Anyone ever here about that?

JY
Old 10th April 2003
There is only one

man, this is the album that GOT me to play guitar. or course i had to have a les paul and i bought one, some crappy amp, and the AFD guitar tabliture and thats how i learned how to play guitar. i had been playing piano since i was 6 so i knew music theory and notes and all that ****, so once i followed the tab and learned how to fret... it was all over.

i jammed the album the other day in the truck. it had been a while since i listened to it. i also put in nothings shocking for the first time in a while.
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

And what did you think about Nothing's Shocking after so long? It didn't age that well for me, soundwise.
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

'Appetite' is an insanely good record! I dug G-n-R in a big way at the time... still do.

Someone back there mentioned that Slash made it cool to play a 'Paul' again... absolute truth and a damn good thing too! Izzy helped bring the Tele back also but not quite as obvious. Back then the hard rock "MTV guitar" was the Kramer Baretta, single H-B'r, single vol pot (no tone pot) and a Floyd ala EVH... remember those? Some Charvel's and Jackson's also, Ibanez in the later 80's (I still have an Ibanez JEM that I use when I need something with a bar on it) but the Kramer was the 'Big Hair' king in the 80's.

The G-n-R stuff was definetly among the best of the 80's music. Izzy's first release (Izzy Stradlin and the JU JU Hounds) is a great record also, very 'Stones' influenced with a bit of punk and even a nod to reggae(sp?). Jay, if you can't find it anywhere PM me and I'll burn you a copy of mine.
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Someone back there mentioned that Slash made it cool to play a 'Paul' again... absolute truth and a damn good thing too!
Funny enough the guitar he used wasn't a Gibson LP, it was a Chris Derrig replica.
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Don't know if I am the only one to hear this, but Axl sounds like Ethel Merman on 'Sweet Child.'

It's the vibrato. I would love to have heard her do a version.

Old 11th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by heinz
Funny enough the guitar he used wasn't a Gibson LP, it was a Chris Derrig replica.
Well, yes and no. He used the Derrig (an exact copy of a "59" except for, I think, the Duncan AlnicoII Pro's) and he also used an "85" Gibson LP Standard (also loaded w/Duncans), rumored to be a factory second that happened to have a particularly dark tone he liked.
Old 11th April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
And what did you think about Nothing's Shocking after so long? It didn't age that well for me, soundwise.
i still love it... its got that same snare verb that AFD has [and every other release at the time], its a cool album. ted just admit it is a killer track, mountain song, ocean size... jeez, i wonder why i havent listened to it in so long.

sonically, not a lot of albums do sound GREAT down the line. AFD doesnt sound KILLER, but its more for the energy. hell, blast me if you want, but i think a lot of the beatles stuff sounds extremely dated and not so sonic anymore.... especially when you put something like sparklehorse's 'its a wonderful life' or beck's 'mutations' against a lot of older recordings.
Old 11th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Well, yes and no. He used the Derrig (an exact copy of a "59" except for, I think, the Duncan AlnicoII Pro's) and he also used an "85" Gibson LP Standard (also loaded w/Duncans), rumored to be a factory second that happened to have a particularly dark tone he liked.
Actually while most people swear it's a Derrig (and as you said the 85 LP), this is still in question. This thread reminded me about Max.

Slash was also a friend of Max (another replica luthier) in the very early days... they were neighbors. Max made him at least one guitar... he drops in on a forum I frequent , this is a reprint of one of his posts regarding Slash's guitar on Appettite (I had forgotten about this until I started thinking about it again):

--- Posted by max_luthier--

"guns-n-roses lived and rehearsed in a garage in the alley behind my shop in hollywood. i knew these guys before guns-n-roses ever formed. one friday afternoon Slash came in with a friend of mine. he had just been signed to a record deal and was supposed to start recording their first record on monday. he didn't have a guitar. any guitar ! ! ! he knew i made 'bursts' and wanted one. i had nothing finished. he kept pressing me to help him out somehow. finally i told him all i had that was finished was my personal 'burst'. i let him take it on loan. he came back the following week and said he loved it and wanted to buy it. he did not want the original 50's parts that were on it so he had them removed and newer parts put on. this is the guitar he used in the studio.

the derrig 'burst' was purchased later and was used on tour. it is the one in all the photos. it is the one he refers to as his 'main guitar' as, at that time, it was his main live guitar until he bought that ugly 80's gibson. he keeps my guitar locked away in storage and only brings it out to record with. this is his main recording guitar. his interviews are vague and confusing but, i know because i was there and i still hang out with Slash every once in awhile. sorry to differ with your story but that's the way it happened.

keep the faith, max

p.s. you don't have to post this if you don't want to. it's not that big a deal. i just thought you might like to know."
Old 11th April 2003
Lives for gear

This is a very cool post, thanks for diggin' it up.

To be honest though, it wasn't his sound on the records that launched the LP style guitar back into cool-dom (though it did help a bit). Most kids wouldn't know the difference between the sound of a "Paul" or a broomstick and a rubber band ("civilians" that is). It was the images they were bombarded with (MTV in particular) that made them want to go out and buy a Les Paul and learn to play. No matter what make the guitar was the real upside to this was Gibson began making at least half an effort to start producing quality instruments again, something they had seemingly forgotten about during the 80's. Thanks again for that quote.
Old 11th April 2003
Lives for gear

I guess I already had a Les Paul... actually Slash cured me of doing some of the fast noodling I was doing at the time. I thought what it is the point of this if it's just gonna sound like that?

As for the actual sound of the record, I can't really remember that.

One thing I recall was a lot of local bands that sounded really similar to GnR didn't know what to call the kind of retroish blues-rock beerdrinkin' kinda metal styled thang they were up to, GnR saved the day and kept all these people from having an identity crisis. Kinda like Nirvana made the world safe for blatantly slick and commercial usedtobe punk rawk.

Really, I think GnR was way into Aerosmith long before it was cool to be way into Aerosmith- they used to be quite the prototypical unhip been there seen that band, in the popular mind, before it turned out pale imitations were selling like hotcakes all over. Needless to say, Aerosmith is doing OK these days, but like I say GnR was playing that card long before it was "cool" to be doing so.
Old 11th April 2003
There is only one

i actually saw GnR open for Aerosmith.

and nirvana making "the world safe for blatantly slick and commercial usedtobe punk rawk", give me a ****ing break. punk rawk is so full of **** it makes me sick. they are all a bunch of poseurs anyway conforming just like everyone else.
Old 12th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
sonically, not a lot of albums do sound GREAT down the line. AFD doesnt sound KILLER, but its more for the energy. hell, blast me if you want, but i think a lot of the beatles stuff sounds extremely dated and not so sonic anymore.... especially when you put something like sparklehorse's 'its a wonderful life' or beck's 'mutations' against a lot of older recordings.
I think maybe 1 out of 50 records ages well. The Beatles stuff has aged well, because of the songs. I also like the mixes on the later albums are great. I am the Walrus. How can you argue with that?

I still need to get a Paul one of these days. I found a pretty cool Deluxe the other night that was cosmeticlly beat. Someone hacked it up and put in 3 'buckers and Sperzel's. And, it's got a hard case all for $500, but the neck is twisted. Still plays great though. Go figure. There's just something about a cranked amp and a Les Paul that say 'rock' to me.
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
hell, blast me if you want, but i think a lot of the beatles stuff sounds extremely dated and not so sonic anymore.... especially when you put something like sparklehorse's 'its a wonderful life' or beck's 'mutations' against a lot of older recordings.
O-kay. Alphajerk has offically gone insane.
Old 12th April 2003
Agreed.

I can't get past the vocals on G n R either.
Old 12th April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
The Beatles stuff has aged well, because of the songs. I also like the mixes on the later albums are great. I am the Walrus. How can you argue with that?
i think the latter are much better than earlier on, but it all sounds so freaking band limited. but the **** was mixed for jukeboxes so what do you expect? put on material and then put on the beatles and you will hear what im talking about. beatles are holding solely on the songs. i wish a lot of hendrix sounded better too.
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
Don't know if I am the only one to hear this, but Axl sounds like Ethel Merman on 'Sweet Child.'

It's the vibrato. I would love to have heard her do a version.
Seconded!!

-dg
Old 12th April 2003
I saw a comedian doing Marge Simpson singing Macy Gray....and now I can't get it out of my head.
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

Ok. So,

The Beatles sound dated and band limited.

Axl's voice was a problem for Guns and Roses.

Beck is now a reference for fidelity ( sonically anyway)

And just for good measure, when Slask played, "no one note got it due."

Ok, someone show be the goateed Spock and Kirk, cause I apparently just woke up in an alternate universe...
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
... Ok, someone show be the goateed Spock and Kirk, cause I apparently just woke up in an alternate universe...
Dude... that was one of the best episodes!!!!!
Old 13th April 2003
One with big hooves

Hmm... which one of the three Star Trek danger themes would accompany you when you awake?
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

And just for good measure, when Slask played, "no one note got it due."
---------------
I know a lot of those notes personally, and man it's not easy to give them their due- they give and give, and what do they get back?

For me it highlights the difference between the blues and the blues scale.
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's pretty widely known in some circles that Slash, Duff and Izzy are playing as a group again. Is anything going to come out of it? Who the hell knows, but I hope so. And having Scott Weiland in there would just be too cool. If there's a record I'd hope that it's cooler then the Audioslave disc.
It won't be if Matt Sorum is playing drums!
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
Hey Tony, I understand where you're coming from but c'mon man, Matt is a great dude... And a drummer!

Old 14th April 2003
Gear Nut

heh Axel Merman..... heh
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

1983 Ethel Merman I Shall Turn Out to Be
Old 16th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
Yeah man, what's up with that? I thought he was perfect for the gig.
Old 16th April 2003
Yep, I couldn't tell the difference.
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
Hey Tony, I understand where you're coming from but c'mon man, Matt is a great dude... And a drummer!

This is NOT a personal attack on Mr. Sorum. I don't know the man and I can't even recall an interview with him. I just plain don't like his playing at all. In terms of his playing with G-N-R he has no swagger. And without swagger, there's nothing to grab onto, c'mon are we supposed to get off on Axl? It's hard to groove on Slash and Izzy without swagger.

I realized years later that Mr. Sorum played with the Cult. I never could understand what the big deal with them was either. I think it's because I couldn't feel the groove with that band, hence I was never pulled in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search