The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Im new...
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

Red face Im new...

well fairly new I browse and post every so often any I am currently putting together my first studio.(I am 21)Unfortunately it will be in my bedroom (in my moms apartment,lol) Anyway b4 I start going and buying recording and production gear I wanna get everything set up correctly ie clean power,grounding,accoustics etc now I know I need these thing but I don't know jack about them as I am a new commer to working with audio.Please bare with me as I will be asking more than one question.and your responses will mostly likely lead 2 more.

Thank you in advance for taking your time.

1 power conditoner:It makes for cleaner power right?,how does it work,how much does it cost,suggestions?

2 "Grounding":I haven't the slightest idea of what this means and what I need to be doing.

3 treating my room:Well it's about 8 feet front 2 back and about 10-12 wide.Unfortunately I will have 2 get rid of my bed for me to be in the "sweet spot" while keeping some distance between the monitors and the walls...how ever since my room isn't that big it will be lil close to the walls and corners.So I figure I'll need some basstraps now do thes go in all four corners or just the closest to the monitors?And from what I hear is it true that if I treat the north dont the south,east vs west etc true?And if so shouild I treat the north or south?I will be facing north with the monitors facing towards me south...sorry I warned you.

And is there anything else Im missing that I should know about when setting up?
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Rene,

> power conditoner <

That's probably the last thing you need to consider at this point.

> "Grounding" <

Use all balanced connections and you'll go a long way toward avoiding grounding problems.

> my room ... 8 feet front 2 back and about 10-12 wide. <

This is your biggest issue by far.

> I'll need some basstraps now do thes go in all four corners or just the closest to the monitors? <

Bass traps go in as many corners as you can manage, including the ceiling corners. See my Acoustics FAQ:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

There's a lot of additional info at my company's site (linked under my name below), including many relevant articles I've written for EQ and other magazines.

--Ethan
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks for the link very useful.

Can some one please fill me on to what grounding means,please.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Nut

Unhappy

???
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

The term "grounding" refers to the earth as a 0 reference point regarding voltage.
Proper grounding of your equipment eliminates ground loops...hum.
Also, helps prevent electrical shocks.

check it out:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...861575,00.html
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Nut

Smile

"See my Acoustics FAQ:"

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

That was the most comprehensive source of info on accoustics I have ever come across it was easy 2 undertand and it helped me alot.Thank you.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Nut

in addition to the links above, check out http://forum.studiotips.com.. helpful people in the field of construction/accoustic treatment.

best of luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search