The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Channelstrip for tlm103 voiceover work
Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

Channelstrip for tlm103 voiceover work

Good, bad or indifferent, I have already ordered a tlm103. Now, I need a channelstrip.

Here is my shortlist...

PreSonus Eureka
Toft EC-1
UA LA-610

Which do you think would be the best match with the tlm103?

You can recommend something else if you feel that it would be better than the ones on my list but please keep it under $1400 new...it must have at least pre/comp/eq...and forget about Focusrite.

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Scrap the Eureka, about everybody who used it was very dissapointed.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Tlm

I am not so sure that you will like the TLM 103.I had one and was very disappointed with it.Maybe my expectations were too high or something, it just lacked any type of warmth.I like my AT 4033 and AT 4047 better.As for channel strips, you will get a myriad of answers.Try to test one with your new mic when it comes in but don't fall for the super audio salesman routine at your local music store ( GC etc... ), most of them are there to sell you the stuff you will end up selling later when you find out it is worthless crap, pretty to look at, but crap.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

great river mp1nv and a dbx 160 or a rnc would do.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

the studio that i work out of has the UA LA-610, and we use it with the TLM all the time. it sounds really cool, but i also like it through the trident s90, although this has no compressor built in.
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

My first suggestion is to try to think about something other than a channel strip. I've never heard the Eureka, but have seen the negative posts. I would actually recommend the PreSonus VXP...no longer made. For broadcast-type VO work it was very simple feature-wise and sounded pretty good from my memory.

Personally, I use a Millennia HV3 preamp into the line in on my Summit MPC-100a and use only the compressor. I use the Summit primarily for its color and use very little compression. Since I do voiceover sessions with many different studios I've noticed that most engineers prefer the signal flat. So most of the time I'm simply running my AT4047 into my Millennia and that's it.

I must also add that a few months back my Summit broke down and while I was waiting for it to be fixed I used my RNC for a tiny bit of compression and was very pleased. So, if you want a great preamp/eq go for the Millennia TD1 (HV3 preamp plus EQ and many other features) and if you absolutely need to compress and need to keep the $$ low....get an RNC. The Millennia will run you about $1375 and the RNC about $150-175.

Of course if money is no issue I hear that the Millennia into a Distressor is pretty cool, too.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

Daking Pre/EQ + RNC would give you a great pre-amp, extensive EQ and a nice compressor in your budgetrange.
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

The JM-130 Mic Pre would work great, Its a mic pre only. depending on what part of the voiceover your involved with; if its ISDN, flat is what most people want on their end, No EQ or compression. The Presonus is not a great sounding pre.
WWW.jmkaudio.com
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

If its not too late, I'd suggest to cancel the TLM103 order and get a Gefell M930 instead. Its slightly cheaper and sounds better.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use the tlm 103 and have no issues with it. its a great, upfront sounding mic and i've had no complaints so far. I use an amek cib which are currently going pretty cheap on clearance deals so try one out if you can, i love it.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

The TLM-103 w/ UA LA610 is my combo and it sounds great.
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Using a TLM 103 with an Avalon 737 and a Purple Audio MC77 here...
Very happy with the results im getting...
It probably helps that i have a vocal booth as well, to kill off all the reflections...

Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search