The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
FMR PBC-6a Compressor Vs. RNC
Old 13th February 2009
Gear Maniac

FMR PBC-6a Compressor Vs. RNC

Does anyone know the sonic differences, between the new pbc-6a mono compressor and RNC?
Old 13th February 2009
member no 666

Yes, there is a difference... no, it's not really possible to describe with the written word.

It's kinda like the difference between raspberry and pistachio ice cream... both good, both different, one may suit your taste at the moment more than the other.

FWIW, the PBC-6A has become my "go to" vocal compressor... the "go to" box before this was a Thermionic Culture "Phoenix" [no ****]... and while I still love the "Phoenix" the PBC-6A has a bit better overall control to it.

The RNC is still a very competent little box which [believe it or not] still gets a hell of a lot of work in our room.

Peace.
Old 27th July 2010
Here for the gear

Which would you recommend for use with acoustic instruments? and which is better for synth and midi stuff?

I use both of those source types live.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

The RNC is pretty much a one trick pony. It's really good at transparent dynamics control. If what you're looking for is a transparent, stereo comp then it's a winner because it's so damned clean sounding and it's *cheap*.

The PBC is more expensive and it's a single channel unit (though if you get two you can chain then to work in stereo). However... what you get for the extra money is a box that can not only do clean gain reduction but can also do many different kinds of colorful (to crunchy) tone and envelope shaping. It can make tracks "thicker", it can make them crack, grind and roar.

So the real question is.... what are you looking for? If you want a flexible compressor/FX unit then the PBC wins hands down. If you want inexpensive, clean dynamic control of stereo signals then it's the RNC that you want.

By the way I really only ever use the RNC for tracking (an only then if all my other HW comps are in use). If I want clean compression during mix down I use plugins. Going out to the RNC during mixing doesn't give me anything that a plug won't do. The PBC I use for tracking and during mixing.
Old 28th July 2010
Gear Nut

That experience is completely different than my experience. I have never found a plug-in that can do what an RNC can do, and I have found the RNC to be seriously versatile. If you take it out of super nice mode and use it in regular mode then you can do all kinds of envelop shaping tricks, more so than with any other unit I have ever met with the possible exception of the distressor.

I also have a pair of PBCs in my rig and have found them to be an incredible pair of also very versatile compressors. I have gotten them to sound like a lot of other units in terms of their character much like a Trakker but with an attitude if I would like or an SSL E Series channel strip compressor but clearer.

FMR makes amazing tools if you use your ears instead of your eyes and wallet in making decisions on which units will work for your music.
Old 28th July 2010
Here for the gear

do they sound close enough to be run together?

i.e I have an acoustic guitar with a mag soundhole pu and an RMC hexaphonic Undersaddle pu and want to get two different tonal 'colours' out of them then blend the two. I want one to be really transparent and a clean controlled version of my guitars sound. I want the other to be fat and punchy - almost to the point of pumping compression - similar to bass lines n dance music.

from what I have been hearing the RNC and the PBC-6a would be great for both of these tasks but do they sound 'close enough' to blend together?

I also use the RMC pu to drive an axon guitar synth and create bass notes. would the PBC work on that signal for some fat bass lines?

cheers again for the advice.

p.s what exactly does the super nice function do?! - im confused

Last edited by sethasaurus; 28th July 2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: forgot about super niceness
Old 28th July 2010
Lives for gear

Excellent! Between Albert L and I we've demonstrated the great thing about gear reviews; it's all about taste. I suppose when I said that the RNC was a one trick pony what I was really saying was that there's only one particular sound it does that *I* like, though.... I really can't see how it more versatile than any comp short of a Distressor. Again I suppose that's a comment about what Albert *likes*.

The RNC has Attack, Release, Threshold & Ratio controls so yes you've got a lot of controls I just find the sound of the box to be more subtle than I like and again when I want subtle and clear I prefer my Sonalksis plugin. That's just me.

There's some good reading about Super Nice Mode here: FMR Audio RNC SUPER NICE MODE

Maybe I need to Give the RNC another spin and see if I can rekindle a little love.

Oh, and yes... you can easily run them side by side. Whether that will sound good has more to do with what you're running through them and what you're trying to do.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear
FMR is one of the truly great presences in the pro-audio market.

Some dude, working out of his garage in Austin, TX, who is willing to give you WAY more than your money's worth...no firmware update needed, he releases his s$%t when it's FINISHED, and it WORKS...

...go ahead and get BOTH, you'll never "outgrow" either, they will ALWAYS be of use to you, get the RNLA while you're at it......the ARC....umm....yeeah...It's not that its BAD it's just a little weird....I think it's for acoustic musicians (Let it be known the FMR guy has odd taste. He only released the RNLA because his friends TOLD him to, he doesn't like "color" in his compression, I'm sure the PBC-6A broke his heart to release)...

....The point is, FMR products are the freebies, take advantage of what is so generously offered.

You can't go wrong.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru
You can get some pretty clean compression out of a PBC also. Very versatile for such a simple unit and amazing for the money........
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
FMR is one of the truly great presences in the pro-audio market.

Some dude, working out of his garage in Austin, TX, who is willing to give you WAY more than your money's worth...no firmware update needed, he releases his s$%t when it's FINISHED, and it WORKS...

...go ahead and get BOTH, you'll never "outgrow" either, they will ALWAYS be of use to you, get the RNLA while you're at it......the ARC....umm....yeeah...It's not that its BAD it's just a little weird....I think it's for acoustic musicians (Let it be known the FMR guy has odd taste. He only released the RNLA because his friends TOLD him to, he doesn't like "color" in his compression, I'm sure the PBC-6A broke his heart to release)...

....The point is, FMR products are the freebies, take advantage of what is so generously offered.

You can't go wrong.
I seem to remember that the ARC was more-or-less a stripped-down PBC-6A in pedal form, primarily for stage use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search