The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
online drummers for hire????
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

online drummers for hire????

i am in a situation..where I want to redo my drums samples with a real drummer. I've been looking at these sites:
http://www.smartloops.com/LiveDrums/
http://www.drumsforyou.com

has anyone done this? thoughts? Would this be a good way to go?

I don't have the budget to hire someone locally so I am looking at this route. I have PTLE with the Mbox. I was thinking bout getting something like BFD or DFHS but really want the human feel. Was wondering what questions I should ask them if I decide to go this route... or what too look for etc.... just looking for some advice.

If you want to hear some of the stuff I want redone... check out HERE for some samples.
Old 30th June 2005
Pretty cool man... I don't know what these places would charge but I would be interested in doing the drums for you for a reasonable rate.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Scott,
I sent you a PM.
TommyD
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Pretty cool man... I don't know what these places would charge but I would be interested in doing the drums for you for a reasonable rate.

these guys both start at $99 a song i think... not bad i might add. So it I did a full CD, 13 songs... would be $1300. Not sure what it would cost to hire a session drummer, book studio time and then pay for an engineer on top on that.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

Sent you a message also.
Eric
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Nut

drummer for hire?

Hey Scott,

I PM'd you...

Tom
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal7
i am in a situation..where I want to redo my drums samples with a real drummer. I've been looking at these sites:
http://www.smartloops.com/LiveDrums/
http://www.drumsforyou.com

has anyone done this? thoughts? Would this be a good way to go?

I don't have the budget to hire someone locally so I am looking at this route. I have PTLE with the Mbox. I was thinking bout getting something like BFD or DFHS but really want the human feel. Was wondering what questions I should ask them if I decide to go this route... or what too look for etc.... just looking for some advice.

If you want to hear some of the stuff I want redone... check out HERE for some samples.
Also check out www.drumoverdubs.com. Brian just cut drums at his place for some friends of mine, www.newcomershome.com. The project was produced and engineered by Gary Paczosa (except drums), worth a listen.
Old 1st July 2005
I would suggest listening to the demos - and going with the ones that you liked the sound, groove & feel of... and of course the price of...

...but don't sit there all misty eyed thinking "ahhhh.... REAL drums Mmmmmmmm" get over that, and move on to listening what the drum playing has brought to the table.. Soul?, feel? - good drum production & sound? Or just real drums recorded OK and in time? There is a difference... Seek it out.

Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks guys...and thanks chriscoleman for the link. I will check it out.

Jules, you nailed it on the head, that is what I want...soul, feel and good production.....not just 'real drums'

This CD is a huge goal of mine that I've been wanting to do for many years. The more it comes along the pickier I get LOL....but one thing I know is it needs a drummer thumbsup
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

i did send you a PM...thank you,
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I think there's a few guys that do tracks here at GS.
I do quite a bit of FTP stuff for folks and have recently added the isight to bring the producer/artist "to the session" so to speak.

I'm not familiar with the 99 bucks a track thing, but I'd say it's worth a look see... that's SUPER cheap, and if it ain't happening, you haven't lost a lost much. Try it on one tune and see what's what.

there's any number of guys available to do remote sessions for you if you just look around.
The "heavy hitters " can be had as well, just takes a budget and a little organization.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

nice stuff you have on your site , but it defenately needs real drums

i agree with jules , arranging drums need some time and its defenately " underrated " work ... the groove is a main factor of the song .

it takes some brain and time ... and a good & intelligent player .

if you really can get that for 99$ ... the world is lost HAHA
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

if you want one of the the best players in this galaxy than try dave weckl. i have no clue what his fees are but i bet they arent cheap.

go to his site and there is more info about having him play on your tracks than send them back to you..
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72
if you want one of the the best players in this galaxy than try dave weckl. i have no clue what his fees are but i bet they arent cheap.

go to his site and there is more info about having him play on your tracks than send them back to you..
if you do pop or rock
he will not be my first choice !!!!!!!!!
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

oh my GOD ... now its getting stupid !

funny how fast we come from a 99$ drum track to some world class talents and realize , thats they are not the first choice .... hahahaha ... CRAZY ?

Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up
oh my GOD ... now its getting stupid !

funny how fast we come from a 99$ drum track to some world class talents and realize , thats they are not the first choice .... hahahaha ... CRAZY ?

Hey man, RELAX.......we are just talking in here, give me a ****ing break,,,
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

youll get ur break heh

but its crazy anyway
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Nut

I used the drumsforyou.com service. Elad is and awsome drummer. I did a pop / rock style song and he did a great job with the playing and the recording. BTW he had a mp3 back within like a day or something. And once I approved it I got to DL the tracks latter that day. This is truelly a awsome time we live in.
Joe
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up
youll get ur break heh

but its crazy anyway

I did get my break...that's why i'm doing the musician FULL TIME....
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

so we´re in the same boat

Old 29th November 2011
Here for the gear

Hey, I'm based in the UK and I record drum tracks for bands, artists and musicians from my studio near London. I'm currently offering a free demo to first time clients - I always believe it's important for people to hear te quality of my drumtracks in the context of their own music :-) my website is: Welcome - iWantDrums
Old 30th November 2011
Gear Head

Is there a good place I can go online to get some live drums that sound like the justice league/Rick Ross live drums??? If so please let me know. Thanks!
Old 30th November 2011
Soul? Feel?

My feeling is that there is live recording... that's where you have a band, and you record it all at once.

Anything else is collage ie: sequencing of some form.

The real feel is where you record the whole band. Preferably after they've toured the material for a few years.

I have never found good results having the drummer follow the band, the band are meant to follow the drummer.

The method you're talking about, dubbing things in, sounds a bit like sequencing, so what you probably want is a fat library of drum breaks. The alternative is to rehearse up a band.

___

Took a listen to a track off myspace. Yes, I see what you mean. It's to a click? Could probably get somebody to dub in a substantial improvement without too much hassle, but you'd get away from the mechanical clickiness by recording properly with a band in a room. Of course, that's a lot of work.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

LA studio drummer on internet

Excellent studio kit
pro microphones
api and neve preamps
awesome custom drum kit
killer player
reasonable prices
excellent results
tons of demo tracks available
excellent professional references
years of internet drumming experience
one of the nicest guys on the planet

Drum Tracks by Jim McCarty

Jim McCarty is a pro studio drummer in Los Angeles. I've been using him on recordings for over five years.

You won't find a nicer guy anywhere and he's an amazing drummer. I've been to his studio several times. He has a studio drum kit that is very dialed in and it stays in the studio. When I need an amazing human drummer, I call Jim.

Tell him Mark and Mary King sent you!
Old 5th December 2011
Hi! I record drum tracks for people from all over the world... I'm offering first time clients a free demo! Professional Drum Tracks by Online Session Drummer Max Saidi
Old 5th December 2011
Gear Head

One my good buddies does this professionally. Can't go wrong this guy...

Real Custom Drum Tracks by Travis Whitmore and SilverLake Studio
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear
I also do this but am booked for the next 3 months unexpectedly with some long projects. I play acoustic and trigger kits - for end result and depending on the style of music it can end up making very little difference to the final sound quality. If a lot of expressive playing is needed then obviously acoustic drums are required, but half the time I end up either supplementing or replacing the acoustic sounds with samples anyway, and also I invariably edit the parts, whether it's my own playing or anyone else's, to match up with the feel of the song as it was originally sent to me.

There is NOTHING like playing in real time with real musicians - and playing over top afterwards will never have the same magical combination of accuracy AND feel, so editing the timing is pretty much a requirement these days unless the song and/or drum playing are terribly stale/dry.

I far prefer to play with a lot of human feel. Otherwise I would just use one of my drum machines (that almost never get powered up LoL).
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Guys i think you are late for the parade, i did his CD 5 years ago.....
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Guys i think you are late for the parade, i did his CD 5 years ago.....
sounds about right for how my life has been working recently LoL

one person revives a thread, everyone else thinks it's current (like I did).

cheers
Old 18th April 2014
Here for the gear
PM me, I have a guy who tracks in my studio who is unreal, plays every style (especially jazz, Latin, funk, and rock), and would do it pretty cheap ($30-40 per track). Message me and I'll send you sound samples

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search