The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio Not Grounded - Yikes
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Studio Not Grounded - Yikes

Quick question:

The power in one of the small project studios that I record in isn't grounded. If there's a power surge or spike, I guess my computer, interface, speakers, etc. could all get fried?

Is there anyway to avoid this with a product (UPS, Furman Rack, Anti surge Power Bar) - or is the only solution to get an electrician and get that room grounded?

Thanks.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Get it grounded by an electrician anyway. Even if you find some magic box that does the trick (i doubt it tho, you must be grounded to euhm... the ground!). You can never be carefull enough i guess.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks. I'll do it.

Anyone else have any tips? And when it is grounded, is it still recomended to get a heavy duty power bar AND a Furman?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliton
Thanks. I'll do it.

Anyone else have any tips? And when it is grounded, is it still recomended to get a heavy duty power bar AND a Furman?
Get a few good surge protector strips, but if its not your studio you may not have much say in the matter. I would think any normal person would want their outlets grounded for safety. But an outlet being grounded does not in itself protect from surges on the power lines, a surge protector does. A good ground system in a building puts all equipment(chassis ground) at the same potential. No stray AC voltage should be present. Old tube amps with no 3rd pin ground are notorious for a shock hazard. Good clean AC is the foundation of any good studio, some out there are still pretty poor. The better ones will also have an isolation transformer for all the audio"Tech Power" in the building, then surge protectors, UPS for the computers, and some UPS equipment contaminate the AC lines themself.... they all have a different job and function. Hope this helps. To me this is a Very GOOD reason to go to a real studio, they invested alot of money to make things right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search