The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
neotek vs ghost
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

neotek vs ghost

so i generally hate threads like this, but i've gotta know...

has anybody worked on a soundcraft ghost AND one of the cheaper neoteks? i'm looking at a neotek series 1 or a 32 channel ghost in approximately the same price range (the neotek is a bit more, but i'd need to get the ghost shipped). any input would be appreciated.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

I would be interested in some thoughts on this as well, or other console suggestions on up to $10k. I think you can find Neotek Elite's in the $10k range. Is that the best option? Soundtracs? DDA? What do you think?

Jake
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

If you go after a Neotek, BE SURE it comes with the original factory service docs (such as they are...which was spotty at best). Every Neotek was built to order, so there are a jillion variants.

Bri
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

I kind of wondered. I have worked on three Elites and seen dozens of others and none of them were really "stock". Thanks for the heads up.

Jake
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

yeah, i've gathered they're a beast to work on. i've also read that if you run the ghost on a variac and step it up to 125-130 volts it sounds worlds better. anyone else have opinions?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wertt
yeah, i've gathered they're a beast to work on. i've also read that if you run the ghost on a variac and step it up to 125-130 volts it sounds worlds better. anyone else have opinions?
Don't do that. There's this myth about this on the net but it's not true. Search gearslutz, there's Jim Williams proving the opposite (the psu regulates it's own voltage, no matter what goes in) - plus, the 'newer' CPS275 is better than the older version.

Putting in burrBrown opamps should give a huge improvement, but i have no idea of the cost of such an operation.

+ there are other mods of which i don't know (i recall one is removing master inserts and the LE-non-automated version would be a little quieter than the automated version)

don't know jack about neotek.

Herwig
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

I just talked to Mike at Neotek, because I thought about getting an older Series 2 and he said that it would be better to just buy an new elan or look for a used elan. He was saying that some of the Series Ones were hard wired and beasts to work on. He was roughly estimating at least 10k for a **MINT** Series Neotek to be refurbed.

We didn't get down to actual quotes, but he said around $300-600 per channel for recapping. If it needs a new power supply it's $1800. He said the Series Ones have a PS connector nobody makes any more, so, if that is bad you're really in for it.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search