The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it pointless...
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

Exclamation Is it pointless...

2 match up a good mic with a budget preamp?

(Discuss)

Just wondering what some of your opinions are on the subject and how bout cheap mics with expensive pre's?

Reason Im asking is cause I plan on getting a "begginer" vocal chain and I was thinking of getting Groove Tubes THE BRICK,RNC,and a Rode K2...
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Starting with a good signal never hurts

Your planned vocal chain seems a fine choice. I wouldn't really say the Rode is 'too good' for the Brick nor the Brick being 'not good enough' for the Rode.
Old 24th June 2005
mds
Lives for gear

+1, sounds good to me. I think a good mic is more important than the rest of the chain being super high end. I think the conventional wisdom is something like: Mic - Mic Pre - Converter in order of importance. You can plug a high end mic into a berhinger pre and it'll still sound pretty good, but a C1000 into a GML will suck a lot of the time.

Mike
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Nut

Anyone else???

I guess my desired vocal chain wasn't the greatest example.But you get the idea.

say a Shure KSM 27 or a Rode Nt 1000 in a Neve or Avalon or something of the likes.Or a U-87 in a BlueTUBE or a mixer,lol.

Mabey it's a stupid question but inquiring minds want 2 know...well at least I do.

Basicly should budget be paired with budget and "highend" with "highend"?
or can they be mixed and matched whilst still getting the desired performence from your gear?
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'd say try and meet each peice somewhere in the middle. In response to your example; rather than a u87 into a Presonus or a Ksm27 into a Neve 1073 try something like a Soundelux u195 into a Great River.(substiute any number of great mics and pres) That would be a great chain! for less $ than the u87 or Neve alone.

Each peice in the chain is important, use your budget to get the best total package you can. The Rode is a fine mic and The Brick is a fine pre, and yes you could pair either with more expansive gear.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

What gear do you actually own?
How would you be recording? Protools? DP? Logic?
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

I've heard that people like the K2 quite a bit, tho I've not had a chance to hear one in action. I might recommend one less tube piece in the chain. I was going to recommend one of Audio Technica's 40 series mics in lieu of the K2, however, you might also consider going with the K2, RNC and one of the API type preamps. Just my opinion. BTW, the API is a really good DI as well as preamp!

Then if you still feel that there's not enough 'tube' in the chain, you could add the Brick.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

There can be something special about a dynamic like a Unidyne III into a fine pre-amp like the Great River MP2NV.

Without hearing it i can't say for sure, but the combo you're getting seems like it should work. The RNC is a nice sounding piece of gear.

best,

John
Old 26th June 2005
Motown legend

I think the preamp is far more crucial for dynamic and ribbon mikes than condensers. If it were me, I'd just buy a Schoeps mike and be done with it until I could afford some better preamps!
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74
What gear do you actually own?
How would you be recording? Protools? DP? Logic?
I actually am in the process of building my first studio heh mostly for creating the music part of it (not recording vocals) but I do want to be able to record vocals as well but It's mainly a "beatmakers" set up.Anyway I have a pair of good monitors,I am picking up my SoundCraft Spirit M8 this week and my next purchase will be a RME Multiface.I will be recording hip hop vocals and "singy" hooks into Cubase SX 3 and/or Audition...Do you guys think the brick will be much or any improvment over my SoundCraft pre's?

(I am new to recording)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search