The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cheap Mic Pre's
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

Cheap Mic Pre's

Hey out there!

This is my first post!! YEAH!! ok, so here's the deal. Here at my house I have a great little digital performer studio. It has been suiting me well for the past 3 of 4 years. Now I am starting to do more recordings with different groups and I think it is time to upgrade just a tiny bit. I am currently using the mackie mixer as the only preamp. I have little money to spend, and I am curious if you think the PreSonus BlueTube DP Stereo Microphone Preamp will give me a better sound than the mackie pre's. I am thinking primarily for vocals, but any input you all have on the situation would be awesome! The PreSonus is just so inexpensive, i'm a little leary of it. Thanks guys!!

Daniel https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newthread...ewthread&f=44#
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Head

I'm no expert on the matter, but I own a couple presonus Tube-Pre's. They're decent little boxes, but nothing too spectacular. What you'll get that the mackie doesn't give you is some tube warmth. However I doubt the Tube-Pre is a "better" preamp. For budget gear I believe the Mackie does a relatively good job.

My only complaint with the Presonus lower end stuff is that the high end is pretty crunchy/scratchy. However it's a decent value considering the price. If you want another pre to play around with, or just to have, the get the Presonus, if you're looking for an UPGRADE, you're going to want to spend more $$ imo.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Welcome! Which Mackie are you using? How many inputs do you need total? And what interface/sound card are you using, and finally what kind of toones are you recording?

My usual advice is to see if you can get the funds together to get either an API or OSA lunchbox and one preamp. The cool thing is that you can add one preamp at a time for around $500/$600 and they'll be able to go head to head with high-end stuff.

Personally, I think that until you can make a substantial upgrade, the Mackie preamps should do ya fine. IMHO, Mackie to Presonus could be too little of an upgrade to make it worth the effort/money. I'll say right now that I don't know that particular Presonus, but if it's only twice as good as the last Presonus I used (Which I think was called an 'MP20'), I stand by the above.

http://www.apiaudio.com/

http://www.oldschoolaudio.com/

Hope that doesn't sound too 'high-end' for the 'low-end' forum, but I remember recording to my old Mackie 1604 and I still think that for the price, the preamps are hard to beat. I also think that for the price of that tube preamp, you could pick up a Really Nice Compressor and that could really work for you more than an inexpensive tube preamp.

http://www.fmraudio.com/

Like I said, I haven't auditioned that Presonus Tube preamp. If I'm wrong and it's the bees knees, I'll go out and check one out right away.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Hope that doesn't sound too 'high-end' for the 'low-end' forum, but I remember recording to my old Mackie 1604 and I still think that for the price, the preamps are hard to beat. I also think that for the price of that tube preamp, you could pick up a Really Nice Compressor and that could really work for you more than an inexpensive tube preamp.
Surely fits here! While being high end pre-amps soundwise, their price is pretty competitive indeed

I'd also opt for keep using the Mackie pre-amps untill you can afford a real step upwards, not being Presonus. heh
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

Wink thanks guys

Hey again!

Thanks all for your input!! I am happy to hear that you don't want me to spend money because i'm %100 broke now anyways. I'm sure you'll all hear from me again soon!

Daniel
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

From my low-enders expirience, nice pres and converters are nice, but the biggest difference lies in the mics, so keep your mackie for a while and work on your mics for a while. Being on budget, tubes are not the thing you should look for, nice transistor pres wors better than cheap tube things (I have real awful exp. with tl audio for ex). Buying 1 or 2 channel pre 2nd hand to accompany your mackie isn't a bad idea too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search