Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

choose one dynamic mic

Hi,

I'm in the market for a 'better' dynamic mic and narrowed my selection down to:

Shure SM-7
EV RE-20
Senn MD-441

All to be bought new, except maybe the 441 which is easily found 2nd hand.

Which one and why ?

thx,
Herwig
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

I became a huge fan of the SM7, to the point of recently adding a second one.

Fantastic on a lot of vocals. Great on some acoustic guitars. Works well for clean Fender-type guitar amps. Kick, Snare, toms, most anything really.

I think a pair each of SM7s and 57s could cover most recording situations.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet

Shure SM-7
EV RE-20
Senn MD-441

Which one and why ?

Well ... the sm-7 is pretty cool in that it has a somewhat aggressive midrange, but a very smooth texture to it overall. The RE-20 has kind of a "heftier" sound to it. Hard to describe, but it can add some weight to a voice or instrument. Very smooth in the midrange -- as opposed to the more aggressive midrange character of the SM-7. The sm7 has some versatility to it with the tone switches (bass rolloff and presence boost). The RE-20 is variable-D, which tames proximity effect. It also has the best off-axis response of the three. The 441 is tight and focused; narrow pattern is very rejective, making it ideal for isolating things like snare. A little crisper sounding, with an almost condenser-like quality to it (I'm guessing it's diaphragm is perhaps thinner, more responsive to transients?).

With that in mind, I would base my decision on which of these features/attributes is most desirable or beneficial.

Or you could just flip a coin or something. They're all good mics.
Old 23rd June 2005
500 series nutjob

re-20
for me
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Too hard a decision - each has it's merit - get'em all!

If I had only one to choose from, I'd go for the 441 - I think more versatile than the others, but the RE20 comes really, really close, and is an awesome dynamic as well. I do like the SM7 as well, but can't compare to the other 2 for all around greatness.

The only downside is the 441's clip, but the RE20 has a similar problem, but more with the weight/size of the mic, and the clip loosening: not that there aren't workarounds, but sux when a clip is the weak point of the mic design...

best with it!
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Addict

hmmm i could make a sound clip of a md441 and a sm7 i you want.
Its true that there arent too many sm7s on European Ebay, but they appear from time to time (well, errr, 2 times in 4 months or so) although the price can get pretty high (i got mine for 200 euro but i think it was because nobody trusted that italian seller heh )
The md441 has a verrrry smooth but fat sound. The sm7 is also great. I didn't appreciate my sm7 until i bought a api lunchbox. Apparently the sm7 combines extremely bad with a focusrite platinum i had before dfegad dfegad

Groeten,
Bram

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search