The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
chandler Tg-2 different models ?
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

chandler Tg-2 different models ?

So I ordered the Tg-2 but now Im reading here that there are neweer and older models , so How can I tell if its the model I want ( the new it seems is best )

....thanks
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

The 'Abbey Road' edition is the newer one with (I suppose) improved faceplate mounting and construction. (Real shoddily done on the 'original' units)

Chandler just raised the price of the TG-2, current units will feature the summing as standard rather than an option.

If the price is right I would be glad to go with the 'second' non-summing edition.

Sonically there's no difference though, as far as I know.

To sum it up:

1. 'Old' version, cheap buttons and faceplate, if you get a good deal though the sonics will make up for it.

2. Abbey Road version with improved faceplate mounting and,well, ABBEY ROAD written on it. I guess some stores still stock this version so it would be a good deal supposing you don't need the summing option.

3. Summing as standard and we just raised the price.

From the Chandler website:
[TG 2 Updates and Modifications
Impedance switching -
Impedance switching is now standard on all TG2 models. The Impedance switching option allows for input impedance of each channel to be switched between the 300 and 1200 ohm values. This feature is now included and replaces the blank push button on the front panel.
Summing Option -
Summing is now standard on all TG2 units. This modification allows summing of the two pre amp channels. The signal is mixed from both pre amps and is sent to the output of the second channal. You can now bypass your console using great sounding discreet circuits and maintain a minimal signal path.

I think the impedance switching is really useful, wish i had it on my older TG-2.

Hope this helps

Andi
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

As far as I know, they are all the same. The early version had the EMI logo on the front panel (mine doesn't) and the new versions can be purchased with the summing option (older units can be upgraded, too). There's a new Abbey Road special edition with the EMI logo available, now. I had an older PSU for mine, which had some problems with overheating. I sent it back and got a new one that works fine and improved the headroom of the TG-2, as well.

Wade Goeke from Chandler Limited is posting here as well, maybe he'll chime in to clarify this issue. You could also contact him at [email protected] - he's a nice guy and very helpful.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersisblue
So I ordered the Tg-2 but now Im reading here that there are neweer and older models , so How can I tell if its the model I want ( the new it seems is best )

....thanks
They're all the same, but the new ones come with the impedance, and summing. The one I just got has impedance switching, but no summing. Not a big deal to me. (right now) I have an Abbey Road version, but my faceplate is still a bit flimsy. I e-mailed Wade, and he is sending me a stronger one. thumbsup

Where did you order it from? Maybe call, or e-mail to your dealer. They should be able to fill you in.

Andrew
Old 22nd June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

I just got a new replacement faceplate and they are STILL flimsy. Mine was slightly bent and I think I bent it back by merely looking at it. I am not sure what kind of aluminum he is using on the faceplates, but they could still be way stiffer IMO. Use a 6061 aluminum or something.The TG-2 does kick major ass in the sound department. I really love running my ribbons through it because it has a lot of gain. Plus, it just sounds great.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
I just got a new replacement faceplate and they are STILL flimsy. Mine was slightly bent and I think I bent it back by merely looking at it.
The e-mail I got from Wade said the new faceplates are twice as thick as the old ones. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

Hey Colin, how recently did you replace yours? The reason I ask is because I've noticed some different Abbey Road faceplates.

Andrew
Old 22nd June 2005
There is only one

i thought it was impedance OR summing via the blank button on the front panel. i had impedance switching done ot mine on that blank button from the get go rather than of chosen a 300/1200 version. i dont think i would give that up for summing of 2 channels to mono.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

wow guys thanks for all the quick responses . I dont think it matters to me

as long as the rack unit isnt too fragile Ill be fine with whatever model I dont need summing but if it has it i dont mind either
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
i thought it was impedance OR summing via the blank button on the front panel. i had impedance switching done ot mine on that blank button from the get go rather than of chosen a 300/1200 version. i dont think i would give that up for summing of 2 channels to mono.
Mine came with impedance switching, and I'm using it. I don't know how often I'd use the summing. I thought the new ones were shipping with both. I read that over here. But, I could be wrong... It makes sense that it would be 1 or the other, cause a switch would have to pop out somewhere on the unit.

Andrew
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Ok it arrived today . It says abbey road in white letters bottom dead center

my extra button says 300 so I dont know if this impedance or summing ...I

havent RTFM yet either ...just been rubbing it with a diaper .

Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

oh And it seems sturdy to me BTW

at least as sturdy as my S20

EDit i see what mean about the face plate now
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
my extra button says 300 so I dont know if this impedance or summing
300 button is input impedance switching... 300/1200

Andrew
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok it arrived today . It says abbey road in white letters bottom dead center
Is Abbey Road like this...
Or this...?
The first is a pic of mine. 2nd is off a dealers page.
Too much time on my hands? Yeah, until 5:00.
Then I'll actually use the thing instead of looking at pictures and talking about it. heh The TG sounds great, no matter what faceplate it has on it! That's what really matters to me. That being said, I hope the faceplate on it's way is nice and solid.

Andrew
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Im going to test it out at 5 : 00 ( weird huh ) but It'll record some vox for real on sunday with a nueman tlm 149 I believe it is

what I heard so far I like much preferable to my tirdent s20 ( these are my only two pres at the moment )

S20 was definately darker
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

After input from various helpful slutz, I just got my TG2 on Sunday afternoon. It is the newest version. All the buttons are labeled now, with yellow labels on the faceplate; the formerly unlabeled button now is marked "300" for the impedance switching.

The summing option is toggled via a switch on the rear of the unit.

Looking forward to recording with it!
Old 27th June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy
The e-mail I got from Wade said the new faceplates are twice as thick as the old ones. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

Hey Colin, how recently did you replace yours? The reason I ask is because I've noticed some different Abbey Road faceplates.

Andrew
I got my new 3/16 thick faceplate about 3 weeks ago, so it should be a new one. I think they need to hard anodize them or use a better grade aluminum like a 6061 because they still do bend. No biggie once it is mounted in a rack, but I am kind of nit picky about the little details. The TG-2 does sound very very nice indeed.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

My faceplate bends too. I figured this was because of bad measurements on the faceplate holes. If they're too close together then it would cause bending, no?

That is a disappointment visually. But the rest of the unit looks solid, which is a relief after all I heard about the build problems on earlier models.

Oddly, it seems like the knobs sit on posts that are so long that the knobs would be unnaturally far from the faceplate if it didn't bend. Strange.

The Daking will be my next pre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search