The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mics/mixer/preamp
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Head

Mics/mixer/preamp

I need a few microphones for my mini-home studio. My budget is as low as possible for reasonable results. I'm not looking for the best results, since it won't be professional recordings, just want to record my music and that it will sound decent. Iunderstand it won't sound like a studio recording, but I don't want it to sound like I just got a mic with a minidisk and recorded it.

I need one microphone that will be able to record a few players from a small distance, lets say one meter, like a string quartet, or several percussions or a drum set. I was told those stick looking mics do that, but I'm not sure.

A microphone for recording something like a duet of saxophones or any other two wind players. I will use it sometimes on its own, and sometimes it will be added to individual mics the players will have, to capture the sound from a little more distance too.

Maybe I'll get a dynamic microphone too but I don't think I need it at the moment.

I'll be recording mostly wind instrument like clarinet, saxophone, flute, trumpet, string instruments like doublebass, cello, violin, and percussions like marimba, drums (percussions and not a drum set, I might record a drum set rarely, but that is less important as far as mic choice).

I am also wondering if I should get a preamp or a mixer. My sound card have 4 inputs. Is it possible to record 4 channels with a Yamaha 12/4 mixer by using each left and right output so I'll have 4 mono channels (instead of 2 stereo channels).
Or I should buy a 4 channel (4 ins and 4 outs) preamp (if such a thing exists) with phantom and just use the software mixer (probably Pro Tools M-Powered), and not get a mixer at all.

Thank you very much.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

If I were you I would get an Audio Technica AT4040 or a Shure KSM27 (or ksm32). Both mics are very versatile and are great bang for the buck.

Also, I would skip the mixer and get a good preamp or two. The Groove Tubes brick is amazing for the money. Also look into the Sytek (more money) for more channels if needed.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

clarnibass...
you could also use the insert points on 4 channels of the mg as well , sending to each input of the 4 input sound card. if you wish.
i'll suggest a couple of ultra cheap mic brands that might do the job...but youll have to demo them to see if they meet your quality expectations.
all in the 40 buck area. how about mca sp1 ? condenser ? or one of the radio shack pzm's ? one good thing about the RS pzm is you can return it if you dont like it. Also CAD have an inexpensive mic - gxl 1200 if i remember.
at the more expensive level maybe rane ms1b preamps and the AT's mentioned.
just some ideas.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

No offense, but I don't think a $40 condenser mic is going to be worth it as your only mic. Spend more and get something decent. At the very least get an Audio Technica AT2020. That is about as low as I'd go. If you only have $50, either save up or get a used sm57 off of ebay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search