The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What for a very small, but really good line mixer?
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Question What for a very small, but really good line mixer?

I´m interested in a small line mixer, even just 4 channels would be enough already, and it wouldn´t even need to have EQ or anything ( except maybe phase turn knob if something like that available ).

Something small, but of high quality that wouldn´t degrade the signal by any perceivable measure.

Anyone knowing of something like it?

Thanks in advance,

Ruphus
Old 20th June 2005
gwm
Gear Head

You may want to look into the API 3124mb+, which offers 4 high quality channels of mic/line pre, phantom power and phase reversal, along with a stereo send/return with individual and master controls.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Guru

there are a lot of little 4 channel mixers made specifically for broadcast and film that sound excellent. check ebay.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

speck lilo !!
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thank you guys, but with the Api I would have to pay for the pres in there too and the Speck is too big and much too expensive.

Gregoire, do you have some model names that I could look after?

Ruphus
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Passive resistor network and a mic pre?

If the sources are mic pres, and gain is ample, just the passive resistor network can do it and nicely.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

You got me thinking ...
One of my mic pres has no line ins, but insert returns. I suppose going in there would work just as well?

Or .. wait, being a bozo, I guess I havn´t understood the concept yet. With using two pres how would I get the signals mixed?
( What I´m trying to achieve is summing a small amount of tracks outside the DAW.)

Ruphus
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
You got me thinking ...
One of my mic pres has no line ins, but insert returns. I suppose going in there would work just as well?

Or .. wait, being a bozo, I guess I havn´t understood the concept yet. With using two pres how would I get the signals mixed?
( What I´m trying to achieve is summing a small amount of tracks outside the DAW.)

Ruphus
Damn, I wrote a whole thing here and the computer ate it! So do a search around the various forums on passive summing, and be sure to check John Klett's archives on PSW.

Basically, a couple cheap boxes with a few resistors and some wire inside can sum signals but the level is knocked down 25-40 dB or so, so you need to either crank the sources (easy with mic pre-amps most times) or put a mic preamp after the passive summing to make up the gain. That's why they call it make-up gain!

Like a stupidly simple mini-mini-folcrom.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thank you, Ted, also for the disappeared text!

Gonna check PSW, though I fear the hints there would be peppered with electronic terms. heh

Greets,

Ruphus
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

I just bought a ROLLS line mixer... 11 stereo line inputs... just pan and level and 1 aux.
sounds great. i have it on one of my live keyboard racks.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Klington,

I´m suspicious whether it could be good enough for studio demands, but found that there ain´t Rolls in Europe anyway. ( Shipping from US would cost as much as the mixer itself. )

Anyone tried these new Soundcrafts in a sonical quality environment yet?

Ruphus
Attached Thumbnails
What for a very small, but really good line mixer?-soundcraft.jpg  
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Guru

okay, i just need one thing clarified: are you looking for a mixer, with level controls, or a simple summing network?

the former is going to run >$500 used for something of quality; the latter can be had new for about $80 and it sounds great.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

A simple summing device with not less than 4 channels would be fine already if it would just not degrade the signal quality.
Havn´t seen any thelike box so far.

Ruphus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search