The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mastering plugins?
Old 19th June 2005
Here for the gear

Mastering plugins?

Anyone using a specific plugin chain for mastering. I've tried Waves LinMB -> L2 and have decent results. I'm looking for a hotter track-any suggestions?
Old 19th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybirdie3
Anyone using a specific plugin chain for mastering. I've tried Waves LinMB -> L2 and have decent results. I'm looking for a hotter track-any suggestions?
hotter as in louder? then mix the song louder....

my DIY mastering usually is pultec pro-> Timeworks Mastering Comp

usualy a lil low end shaving and a dip in the upper mids if its too harsh.
Old 20th June 2005
[HANG'S HEAD] Doesn't anyone go for a better sounding track anymore?

When did "mastering" turn into "hotter track" anyway? [/HANG'S HEAD]

[WALKS DOWN LONELY ROAD WITH SAD PIANO MUSIC FROM "INCREDIBLE HULK"]
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master
[HANG'S HEAD] Doesn't anyone go for a better sounding track anymore?

When did "mastering" turn into "hotter track" anyway? [/HANG'S HEAD]

[WALKS DOWN LONELY ROAD WITH SAD PIANO MUSIC FROM "INCREDIBLE HULK"]

I have a whole set of tunes right now that ain't clipping the red!! And they sound great!! Honestly I have had so much more fun mixing in my new room.

I feel like I will be delivering a gift to the ME who gets these....!!!

Want a hotter track? Turn up your monitors!! It works everytime. no fail!

P&B,
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene

I have a whole set of tunes right now that ain't clipping the red!! And they sound great!! Honestly I have had so much more fun mixing in my new room.

I feel like I will be delivering a gift to the ME who gets these....!!!

Want a hotter track? Turn up your monitors!! It works everytime. no fail!

P&B,

*applause*
The madness has to stop somewhere! Let's turn this train around heh
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

I agree; it's maddening. Of course, it's like Pandora's Box. Now the record companies will never want to go back. Who would offer smaller burgers in a 'super-size world?
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I agree; it's maddening. Of course, it's like Pandora's Box. Now the record companies will never want to go back. Who would offer smaller burgers in a 'super-size world?

It's the sub culture that counts now. Screw the labels...thats what my friends at the labels tell me!

Honestly, the majority of music released today isn't on a major initially and doesn't need to be. The cream does rise and right now it seems to be slowly burbling completely around the mass piles of ****. The culture of artists / musicians / engineers / producers that care about the product and develop the tunes on an artistic level is growing IMO.

Ben and Jerrys Ice cream came along with much smaller containers and 3-4 times the price..but it was so good and the intent and attitude behind it was so grass roots. We literally ate it up.

This ain't frozen chocolate but the point is the same.

**** the labels...it starts with you at any level.

P&B,
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Addict

UAD plugins -- Pultec Pro > Fairchild

I like the "Oceanway" preset with the Fairchild ... different stuff with the Pultec
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Uad fairchild on 2buss? maybe in 1 out of the 20 times.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha
Uad fairchild on 2buss? maybe in 1 out of the 20 times.

Yeah, that thing gets pretty 'sweet and fat' for my taste.

Honestly, I searched for a little while for a plugin that I could use when I send roughs out, but what I do now is split everything up and give the resulting aux's a little 'whack' here and there with whatever's appropriate. I've been liking my mixes a lot better without one big 'whack' on the whole thing.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

i seem to end up using the waves Lin MB and L2 ...my heart sinks really when doing it 'cus I know I'm mashing the sound quality ...but I know from experience that 'quiet' demos dont get passed the first hurdles (I wish industry execs knew how to turn up the volume on their pcs/ipods/whatever but they just dont!)..lord..save me from this sad world.
Old 12th February 2007
Gear Addict

First off... I'm no expert. In fact i'm still in the early stages of learning the mastering game. My chain evolves and changes based on the material I'm working with. Inside the box I use (for the most part) PSP Neon HR, PSP Master Comp, Waves L2, and Izotope Ozone. The Waves Linear Phase Multiband gets some occasional use. I also use some pieces outside of the box to "finish things up".

To answer your question about getting your stuff "hotter"... there isn't one thing I could point to outside of starting with a good mix with some "room to breathe". If it's your mix.... don't push everything into the red on a track by track basis. Leave some room for the music to come together at reasonable (unclipped) levels. Also filter out the frequencies that you don't need on each individual track.

Finally... I'm sure you've heard it before, but I suggest you pick up a copy of the book by Bob Katz: "Mastering Audio, the art and the science". Also... check the mastering forum. Good tips and insight.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search